Stan & Ollie movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sondek, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

There was a doco on some (UK) channel I videoed / taped / downloaded off the box thing which was interesting. Mostly Europeans interviewed including SL's daughter. Footage included up to the end of his life. Interesting. Looking forward to the film. I'll treat it as a 'real life story' in the same way I treated 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. Hopefully they won't get too inventive to create drama.
    I used to watch them on BBC2 way back in the eighties. They always used to be on then.

Man at C&A likes this.
  2. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

hbbfam and Sammy Banderas like this.
  4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stan’s
    Out on dvd January 2019.

Ghostworld likes this.
  6. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

7. fonzbear2000

fonzbear2000 Active Member

8. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

Really looking forward to seeing this film tonight, massive fan of theirs:)

fonzbear2000 and longdist01 like this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Absolutely beautiful film.
    Even at the end (after 5 or 6 earlier tour show clips) and the final County Hospital performance in Ireland I was still chuckling at the 'Eggs and nuts' line.
    I didn't know that Stan continued to write scripts after Ollie's death.
    They should go through them and see if a new film could be assembled from the gags,using the two leads ........ They were that good in their roles.

10. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

Jackanackanory!

longdist01 likes this.
  11. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Sorry to take the thread a bit off-topic. It was related to a post about how dark the superhero movies had become and my response about how the same thing happened in comics until someone did a series that brought back humor to superheroes (two of the characters, Fire And Ice, even compared themselves to Lucy And Ethel due to Fire's ridiculous scheme to join the Justice League [literally just walk up to the door and ask to join]).

To resteer back to topic, I think that this movie will be serious for the most part with the humor coming from the stage performances for their routines (as it seems from the trailers). It was the same with the TV biographies of The Three Stooges and Abbott & Costello (both of which I enjoyed).

12. alexpop

Stan & Ollie.
    Its not a funny ha ha film ( I found) more endearing bio pic. I was expecting bigger production values, but I’m glad what I got .,good old BBC.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Man at C&A likes this.
  13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

BD out when?

14. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Saw this the other day. Liked it a lot, but there was one scene that really jarred. They're coming into London on a train and it's clearly on a bridge crossing the Thames 'cos Tower Bridge is very close in the background. There is no rail bridge that close to Tower Bridge and there almost certainly wasn't either in 1953. I know they have to establish the location but this was just really really clumsy. Especially as it seemed they were travelling in from the north and would have completed the journey at one of the northern terminals long before they reached the river.

15. alexpop

Rating ? 7/10

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

longdist01 likes this.
  17. FredV

FredV Senior Member

18. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

It's not strictly speaking true that L&H "couldn't find work" in the US in the early 50s. Offers were made but Stan didn't think they were a good fit for, say, Vegas nightclubs. L&H's movies were enormously popular on early television, but Laurel didn't want to appear on Live TV or on a weekly series, which naturally cut off a lot of options. A series of specials that would have begun in 1955 was cancelled by Ollie's stroke.

19. FredV

FredV Senior Member

20. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A bittersweet film. Loved it loads.

Captain Groovy likes this.
  21. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan That's like your opinion, man!

I watched this over the Christmas break. Really enjoyed the performances. The casting I thought was spot-on. Never knew much about their back story and I thought it was interesting to pick up on the tail end of their career.

longdist01 likes this.
  22. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Looking forward to this, L & H shorts were shown on a regular basis when I was young, I remember a few 'old' people who saw L & H, 1947, at the Lido in Bolton reminiscing about the great event.

Even though I was very young the impression I picked up on was some disappointment and sadness that they were in their decline.

[​IMG]

alexpop and Matt Richardson like this.
  23. alexpop

L&H were synonymous with the 1920s/30s by the time the 1940s /1950s kicked in Abbot & Costello were the new comedy team.

24. FredV

FredV Senior Member

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

No need to post in 3 threads and why are there 3 threads?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.