Standalone singles not on best-of collections or reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tonyballz, Mar 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Pretty much all the A sides appeared on the Red and Blue compilations in 1973.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. tonyballz

tonyballz Roogalator Thread Starter

Thank Jah for YouTube or most of us wouldn't be able to listen to any of these.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This was never reissued and I only recently learned of its existence.

The only Rutles recording that includes Eric Idle, and does NOT include Neil Innes.

4. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

They have also since been included on the 3-CD Goin' 50, so have become rather common: ZZ Top - Goin' 50

From the Island years there are actually plenty of unique Jamaican singles that have not been released elsewhere, many A-sides had different mixes and the B-sides usually had dub mixes that have in most cases not been reissued anywhere. But those two mentioned are perhaps the most notable since they are A-sides that were partly re-recorded for their eventual album release, and it's a shame the originals have never been reissued.

It's depending on what formats one count (actual physical release or also downloads/streams), but in any case there are many Prince tracks not collected outside their "single" releases going back to "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" (the original single is partly a different recording), others are "Beautiful", "Rock ‘n’ Roll Is Alive!", "Purple Medley", "The War", "One Song", "Cybersingle", "Magnificent", "United States Of Division", "Silver Tongue", "Glasscutter", "F.U.N.K.", "Cause And Effect", "Hot Summer", "Rich Friends", "Boyfriend", "That Girl Thang", "Live Out Loud", "Ain’t Gonna Miss U When U’re Gone", "Menstrual Cycle", "Octopus Heart", "The Sweeter She Is", "Da Bourgeoisie", "What If" and "Free Urself" (the last one his final release), many of these listed (especially towards the end) are more like official leaks of tracks posted as downolads and then quickly removed, but still official releases and all of them are unique songs, there's also a bunch of live recordings put out here and there and several alternate single versions of tracks later released on albums in remixed form.

Michael Macrone likes this.
  5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

6. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

Indeed, but those stand out for me because the other non-LP tracks of the time (Jah Live, Smile Jamaica and Punky Reggae Party, for example) have been reissued extensively. Also, I think they continued to be in print on Tuff Gong reissue 7"s for years afterwards. It's surprising that, with all the catalogue exploiting no one's thought to do a collection of Jamaican single versions, since it could include things like the edited "Road Block", the King Sporty "Buffalo Soldier", 12" mixes of "I Know" and "Trench Town" etc, I'm sure there are others.

7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

It's one of the biggest selling singles in recorded music history, and as of the time I write this, the only way you can get Elton John's "Candle in the Wind 1997" is on a single. It has never been on an album.

tonyballz likes this.
  8. tim_neely

Has the single mix, with single-tracked vocal, of "I'm Yours" by Elvis Presley (a #11 hit and #1 Easy Listening released in 1965) ever been on a compilation? It's pretty obscure by Elvis standards, despite its hit status, and I know that at least into the early 2000s, the single mix was MIA on CD.

tonyballz likes this.
  9. tim_neely

In 1968, the Hassles, best known because a young Billy Joel was a member, released a single called "4 O'Clock in the Morning" that would appear on their second album, Hour of the Wolf. But the single version is a completely different recording than the album version and has never been on CD (I don't think):

At the end of the band's life, in 1969, the Hassles did a one-off single called "Travelin' Band" (a Billy Joel original, not the John Fogerty composition) with a cover of "Great Balls of Fire" on the flip. These, too, have been lost to time. I couldn't even find a vinyl rip on YouTube.

10. One would think that the Citizen Dan box set would have been the perfect place to put these two songs on CD? I'd never heard of them until this thread now!

MrCJF and tonyballz like this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

But not the B Sides... :D

12. tonyballz

You'd think so, considering the single was on ABC and so qualifies as an "official" release. Apparently the boys hated it.

Scatterling of Africa likes this.
  13. tonyballz

Probably because all the profits from the single went to charity.

14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

This is on The Best of Blur, the original US CD of Modern Life Is Rubbish... a bunch of other spots too.

15. hutlock

Prefab Sprout’s second single, “The Devil Has All The Best Tunes” has never even been on CD unless I missed it, but definitely not on any of the Sprouts albums.

16. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

I think Elton John has given all royalties from his singles to charities since c.1990. Since 1992 mostly, but not exclusively to his own foundations.

17. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

Has the B-Side to Peanut Butter Conspiracy's single Amen - The Games People Play - ever been released on album or CD? Other than release on a South African compilation of all things?

[​IMG]

18. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident

It's on this various artists compilation:
    The Indie Scene 83 (1992, CD)

19. hutlock

Excellent! So still not on any Prefab Sprout albums.

This still leaves the b-side, “Walk On” as unavailable on CD I assume?

20. peterpyser

It's on 2 various artists compilations:
    Virgin's 21st Anniversary Sampler (18 Key Tracks, Highlights From 21 Years) (1993, CD)
    50 Years Atlantic Records (1998, CD)

The Virgin sampler includes the UK single version, while the Atlantic compilation includes the US single version.
    The latter is essentially an edit of the UK single version. Both versions feature the extra drums beats before the big classic drums explosion which became legend.

21. peterpyser

Yes, and yes.

hutlock likes this.
  22. rudybeet

rudybeet Forum Resident

You're right about those. A lot of the Hassles are on this:

The Hassles – The Best Of The Hassles : You've Got Me Hummin' (1999, CD)

But not the ones you mention. Oddly, the CD is also missing "Hotel St. George" from THOTW album, so that has never been on CD either.

23. Marky D

Marky D Forum Resident

Good one! Really should have been on the A+M Years box set from 2017. They went to trouble of sourcing BBC radio sessions but missed out on this - I can't help feeling that whoever compiled the set assumed it was the same as the album version rather than a different recording.

nowhere-man-in-e and side3 like this.
  24. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I don't know if this counts, otherwise someone probably would have posted it already. But this specific original mix has never been reissued anywhere.

Fleetwood Mac - Silver Springs

[​IMG]

Paul Gase likes this.
  25. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

What about the version of Say You Love Me with all of the extra guitar? Is that available anywhere other than (i guess) the promo 45?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.