Star Wars Original Trilogy Campaign

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Pinknik, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member Thread Starter

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I find it discusting that the fans have to beg for this on DVD! Boycott it! What an egomaniac...

3. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

I would love to tell George Lucas where to put his light saber. I didn't know this guy was on so much of a "god" trip. Maybe someone can release the originals after he dies. :mad:

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Can you imagine having that much power? What I don't understand is how he can not feel sorry for his fans? He released all the Star War on VHS many more times than needed...Strange?

5. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Not to hijack the thread, but there has been a similiar debate about "Close Encounters of the Third Kind." Spielberg felt that he was rushed with the first cut and never got to fully realize the conclusion he wanted which is why he went back and did the Special Edition in 1980.

Each version of the film has its critics and many prefer the original over the slightly elongated special edition because they didn't like the tampering. I think Spielberg even did a little more tweaking in the most recent reissue as well. I'd have to pull out my DVD to double check.

In the early 90s, Spielberg got involved with Criterion and they released a Close Encounters box set which enabled you to add the additional "chapters" to create the special edition or watch the sides straight through as the original version. I believe the special edition chapters were included at the end of each side.

While many found this is a headache (since you had to sometimes program a SE chapter between two original chapters, it gave you the viewer the choice as to which version you wanted to watch.

In this age of technology, I can't believe Lucas would just issue the special editions. The only special edition I saw was Star Wars and I found some of the additions distracting. It's bad enough that we have to wait for these movies until after the release of the "third" movie on DVD!
    :realmad:

If Lucas was smart. Place the original and SE discs on 1 DVD and your special features on the other. Give us the choice like Spielberg did. The only film that this might be difficult with (in terms of DVD recording but correct me if I'm wrong) is Jedi since it's a little over 2 hrs 15 minutes. Doesn't each layer of the DVD only hold about 135 minutes of high quality video?

I think it's the least he could do.

Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.