STAR WARS: "Rise of Skywalker" **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

I can't believe she didn't take off her helmet and kiss him at the end. We did, however, get two females kissing. I think one of them was that woman with the grey hair and the really long nose.

Keith V likes this.
  2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Another thing I noticed about Palpatine. If you watch carefully,he's literally just a shrouded limp,dangling torso hooked up to that mechanical arm. It even appears his legs are gone, probably largely rotted away in the same way his hands are. Speaking of which ,even when he moves those,it's not him physically moving it on his own. It looks like the mechanics of the arm he's hooked to is also doing the movement of his hands for him. it's clearly a case of a zombie puppet possessed by his spirit. He's basically dead and haunting our heroes through his slowly rotting carcus.

Now,whether that decaying body is his original one that fell down the death Star or an imperfect clone that's decaying ala Dark Empire is what's in question. Either way, Palpatine is still dead until Rey and Ben get their Dyad life force sucked out.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  3. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

My RankingS:

1)Phantom Menace
    2) Return of Jed
    3) Holiday Special
    4) Solo
    6) Attck of the Clones
    7) Umpire Strikes Back
    5) The Last Jedi
    9) Newd Hope
    10) Rogue One
    11) Avenging the SIth

4. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Something I just remembered: when Kylo Ren visits Palpatine at the beginning we see a tank with what looks like Snoke floating in it. Like he was in the process of cloning another Snoke if necessary.

PTgraphics, coffeetime, SJP and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I just want to know one thing: is this Luke's movie or not?
    I want to see Luke Skywalker be the heroic lead again.

6. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

It's not Luke's movie.

7. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

So did I. I caught it today. Well deserved. To me, after George Lucas, no one is more responsible for the success of Star Wars than John Williams.

Actually, he says "Ow".

And another homage to Han was the way he fired his blaster behind him while running in the opposite direction, like Han on the Death Star.

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

As I said earlier, Carrie Fisher was quoted years ago as saying, <paraphrasing> "the first one is Harrison's film, where he's in most of it and gets a great death scene, the second one is Mark's film, where he's the featured player and gets a battle and a great death scene at the end, and finally, at last, the third film will be mine." Unfortunately, the actress' real-life death three years ago this week changed those plans. I would bet a script exists where Leia is a living presence throughout the entire film, but I tend to suspect this will be buried for a long time.

No, Palpatine did not create Anakin. He took the wreckage of what was left of Anakin Skywalker (critical wounds, badly burned, no legs, missing an arm) and used machinery to convert Anakin into Darth Vader. No relation by blood.

As far as I know, none of the books or films have ever explained the lineage of Anakin Skywalker, other than to say that his mother's name was Shmi Skywalker, and that he "did not have a father" (a virgin birth?). Zero tie-in to the emperor or royalty or anybody important. It's key that you understand that when Lucas initially wrote Star Wars in 1974 and 1975, he intended for Anakin Skywalker to be a completely separate character, maybe still alive but on a distant planet, and Darth Vader was unconnected. It was decided in early 1978, after some Empire story problems (including the death of initial screenwriter Leigh Brackett), that it was a "story convenience" to combine Anakin and Vader into a single character, and even though Lucas thought it was "hokey," he agreed that it would give Empire a huge climax in the reveal that Vader was Luke's father." That idea reportedly stemmed from conversations between George Lucas, Marcia Lucas, and new writer Lawrence Kasdan, who completely threw out the first script and did a page-one rewrite.

Never mind that Vader had been 2 feet away from Princess Leia in Star Wars and never once picked up on her also being his daughter. Why didn't that happen? Because Lucas hadn't thought of it yet. There are a thousand story and character lapses in the Star Wars saga, and you can read some of them in this book:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/0978465237

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    JakeM, Chris DeVoe, SJP and 2 others like this.
  9. David Campbell

More than one Snoke.

Interesting though that Palpatine created Snoke it seems Snoke may have not been aware of that fact. in fact he tells Kylo "Snoke trained you well." As if Snoke was a separate person. It seems it's being inferred that even though Palpatine created Snoke,he wasn't Snoke or literally puppeteering Snoke in the classic sense. It makes me think that the whole First Order and Snoke himself was a tool to not only distract The New Republic and later the Resistance , but to be used to take out Luke and his still small new order of Jedi,all the while masking the fact of Palpatine's Resurrection and his followers escapades on Exogol.

Just as the separatists and the Droid army was merely a diversion to mask Palpatine's power grab and mass assassination of the JEDI in the prequels,he sent Snoke on the loose to take the New Republic,the Resistance and the Jedi's eye off the ball as he amassed his Final Order. Snoke probably was himself unaware he was a clone created by Palpatine and thought he was acting on his own,but Palpatine was probably always nudging him from the shadows to continue his decades long chess game with the cosmos.

Sammy Banderas likes this.
  10. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

I saw it on a "super screen" in ATMOS. I thought it looked great and the sound was fantastic - full and detailed but not too loud.

zombiemodernist likes this.
  11. David Campbell

Nope. Sorry. These movies were never going to be about that,even when Lucas began early work on them before the Disney sale. Our OT heroes were always going to play mentor/supportive roles.

Sammy Banderas and superstar19 like this.
  12. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I'll pass.

13. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I think this discussion comes up a lot around the draft scripts which supposedly had this explanation in them. There is also a recent-ish comic that toys with this idea.

In the text of the films themselves (which is how 99.9% of people view Star Wars) there's little to support this beyond the whole "create life" line Palpatine throws out at the opera in ROTS. In some ways I can't decide what would be more hokey, lifting the virgin birth from the Christ narrative wholesale, or having Palpatine be the puppet master of Anakin's birth. I think as it stands in the text of the films its easiest to read Anakin as a creation of the universe (or midiclorians if you want to use Lucas's terms) to balance the force out, which jives more with the messianic read than the dark sorcery one. I really would love to hear Lucas spill the beans on what he was planning for the 3 ST films one day, to see where his head was at in 2012 for how to tie up this saga, and if any of this stuff would have been resolved differently in his mind.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  14. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

So nobody ever looks behind them when flying through space?
    Another nod to Empire with the 2 in 1 asteroid field/garbage dump scene.

15. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I'll join the ranking fun for me it's:

Masterpiece:
    A New Hope

Really Good:
    Empire
    Last Jedi
    Rouge One
    Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith

Good Enough:
    Rise of Skywalker
    Solo

Tolerable / OK:
    Attack of the Clones

Rainy Day and Nothing Else is on:
    Phantom Menace
    The Clone Wars (animated Film)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  16. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

Luke's heroic stand was at the end of the last Jedi. He leaves his self imposed exile, faces down the first order to give the resistance time to escape. His sacrifice allows the resistance to live and brings a spark of hope back to the universe by his heroic deed.

BeatleJWOL and Sammy Banderas like this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Reese and zombiemodernist like this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I swear that, when there was only a single film called Star Wars, I read a novelization where Darth Vader was a creature who breathed methane.

19. greg_t

greg_t Senior Member

BeatleJWOL and David Campbell like this.
  20. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Without looking the cameo up, was he the ‘bartender’ who shakes his head when the Gand arrive on Kajimi to see the droid hacker?

Nope, didn’t note the scar thing but very cool all the same. All of these things to note will give me an excuse to see it again (ideally in 2D Dolby Cinema after two 3D IMAX viewings).

One question my son asked me and I didn’t know the answer to offhand: In the final scene, Rey buries Luke & Leia’s sabres as a ceremonial funeral. She then fires up a yellow sabre - is this one she has fashioned herself (A la Luke fashioning his green sabre in the ROTJ deleted scene)? Did it belong to someone else that I’ve missed?

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I can see that. Billies eyes are identical to her mothers.

22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Couldn't have put it better myself.
    Saw it last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Abrams pulled it off in a fitting way to end the trilogy of trilogies, as a hommage to the original movie. Hells bells, I've been dashing to the cinema for the last 42 years to see the films of this saga, so it was nice to have big roll-call Star Wars fest.
    I liked the non-stop action pace (after all, time was running out). When Ray took off with her little crack team with Chewie and C3PO I turned to my son and said "At last!". I'd been waiting for that to happen through the previous episodes. Strange and a pity that R2 wasn't in there.
    Anyway, right away we had that little band getting into space trouble (just like in the first movie) in deserts, sinking mush (again, like in the first movie with the garbage compressor scene), the tunnels with a serpent (again),... all nice little nods to the past which were fun. Kylo Ren became a real Vader II (I didn't like his helmet though), Palpatine breaths "I am your grandfather" (another nod to the papa Vader revelation in Episode 5),... things that are very easy to criticise but for me, what the hell, it was all fan-pleasing fun. It would've been nice to see Alac Guiness's face in the mists when the Jedi forces energised the near-defeated Ray in Palpatines's lair but at least we heard his voice.
    I had been a little bored and blasé with the saga through the two previous episodes and the thing needed to be put to bed, celebrating that forty-year legacy and Abrams did a fine job. We left the cinema totally satisfied.

23. David Campbell

Yep. It'll eventually happen with Marvel. Eventually they will make a major misstep and one of their movies will underperform or outright piss their fanbase off and then the knives will come out. It's inevitable.

BeatleJWOL and Sammy Banderas like this.
  24. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Jeez Louise, my head hurts just reading that... when did SW morph from being a relatively pure and simple fairy tale to a frikkin' narrative pretzel!?

David mate, the Lucasfilm Story Group should immediately hire you forthwith... you're one hell of a 'splainer!!! You'd make mincemeat of the online Fandom Menace in short order :D...

FVDnz, SJP, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  25. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

So no love for Return of the Jedi then????

TrekkiELO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.