Star Wars sequels to be ‘erased’ and made null and void...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dunkrag, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

true, just speaking for myself i guess. i cant watch more prequels, sequels, trilogies, reboots, rehashed......make a new movie with an exciting plot and characters i care about, and your girl Ondine is in!

razerx, mikeyt and Exotiki like this.
  2. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Same here but there is just too much money at stake. Movies have become “franchises” like SW, ST, Terminator, Mad Max, Marvel Universe, DC, Jurassic Park, Alien, Predator, what else? If the studios turn out a half decent movie the money will roll in and then there is the merchandising.

3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I absolutely agree!

4. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

yeah, true. but then they risk milking it dry, i feel like is kind of happening

bmasters9, Exotiki and razerx like this.
  5. youraveragevinylcollector

youraveragevinylcollector Forum Resident

They should've never made those sequels in the first place, but Disney is nothing but a cash cow for anything anymore. If there's money to be made, they'll do it. Too many prequels and sequels just add to the madness of movie franchises. I could make an entire list. Fast and Furious, Jurassic Park, Terminator, Halloween, Rambo, Rocky, etc...

6. justanotherhifienthusiast

justanotherhifienthusiast Forum Resident

It makes a lot of sense to do this. Not only did the direction the writers took for the last jedi and rise of skywalker make very little sense in terms of star wars canon or at least many a fans head-canon, it was just extremely poorly thought out, rushed, and nonsensical. thematically it was kind of a joke, lots of zany moment to moment scenes that while might have made for semi decent action, I think the often silly tone of the characters was largely at odds with lucas' vision and theme of the original and prequel trilogys. i dont care how much you hate the prequel trilogies, they are consistent with the tone of the orignal movies and tie in very nicely with what you know happens in the originals. they are great 'star wars' movies and do a lot to expand the world and mythos. not only that, but they left the expanded universe untouched.

what did the sequel trilogy give us? almost nothing. literally nothing memorable. it could basically not have existed and we'd be better off for it. I admit, the force awakens was extremely good, if not a boring rehash. but it defintely encapsulated the best of star wars culture, and almost briefly transported us back to 1977 when there was a certain electricty in the air that just doesnt exist anymore. impressive as well was force awakens over 900 million dollar domestic box office that wil be a record that will I think stand the test of time. I just cant see another movie topping it, aside from a new star wars film that is most likely 10 or 15 years away from now once the bad taste of the sequel trilogy has washed out of our mouths.

nosliw, Frozensoda, jamesc and 3 others like this.
  7. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

I don't think the movies are the problem, the fans on the other hand, many of them could be replaced to the betterment of the franchise. The non-stop complaining is nauseous.

8. They needed to learn from Lord of the Rings or similar. If you are making 3 movies and know that up front, you NEED to work out the entire arc of the story before even starting the first one. Once that's approved, you go film it. And if you MUST go to more than one director, you need to solve continuity and tone issues before starting.

Suggestions:

1) In The Force Awakens, they needed to work on the story such that it didn't adhere so closely to the New Hope plot. Otherwise, it was pretty well-done.

2) They needed to get the tone and several key plot points different in the middle movie. It needed to be darker, rather than sillier. They could have done something really interesting with the "disaffected Luke" idea . . . but they didn't. The "projecting the Force" idea was lame. And the introduction of the Rose character was a nice idea, but . . . did tbey have to make her SO dumb? It was cringe-city. They needed to give her something better to work with.

3) The final film was more fun to watch (we enjoyed it), but some of the continuity issues and the need to correct garbage from Rian Johnson's effort made it difficult. If they had any guts, they would have pulled a "Rocky I" on us and had the Emperor win . . . with a new reign of evil over the galaxy for a x-number of years. In fact, it would have been very topical for late 2019.

budwhite and rnranimal like this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

You're complaining about complaining...

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You're complaining about the complaining about complaining. :)

[​IMG]

Vidiot likes this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

There was no complaining in my post.

polchik, Anthrax and jamesc like this.
  12. Phillip Walch

Thank you for the contribution :righton:

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

More rumors...

An online rumor — which comes from the a YouTube channel — suggested there’s some inner divide in Disney about the direction of the “Star Wars” franchise, saying that Disney planned to “erase” the franchise’s sequels by pretending they only happened in an alternative timeline, as I wrote about for Deseret.com. In short, Disney would use devices seen in “Star Wars: Rebels” to rework the sequel trilogy so the events of Rey, Finn and Poe only happened in a secondary timeline, becoming works of “Star Wars Legends” rather than the true canon. At the same time, the rumor suggested there’s an ongoing divide within Disney over the “Star Wars” franchise, and that Kathleen Kennedy would soon step down.

Newest ‘Star Wars’ rumor suggests sequel trilogy will be ‘ignored,’ not erased

Others say that Kathy Kennedy's contract goes to 2021, and she might be stepping down then. She just turned 67 and will be 68 next year, and (given that she's worth $300 million), I can see where she might like to take it easy and enjoy life. The guy I worry about is Disney chairman Bob Iger, who is 69 (net worth about the same) and under the worst stress of his career. Hard to feel sorry for celebrities who have this kind of money, but the studios are being hit very hard by the pandemic.

14. BeatleJWOL

Well, while this has turned into the dumb rumors thread:

Hayden Christensen Rumored To Finally Return In Star Wars Disney+ Show

15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

16. BeatleJWOL

My first thought. My second thought was "why??" Having recently watched the Clone Wars I would happily watch the hell out of Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker under a, ah, different director. But at this point that ship seems way past sailed.

17. Oatsdad

It is an interesting concept to reunite EW and HC as the roles and see how they do without George's "direction" - I agree there.

I like the idea for that reason, and if they could've done a series with "Obi-wan in exile" that featured Anakin - awesome!

But given Anakin got all burned up and became Darth... that seems tough to pull off! :D

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

It could be done via an internal struggle with Obi-wan having to come to terms with his guilt over Anakin's fall and the fact he had to "kill" a man who was both like his son and his brother. Flashbacks. Visions within the force where he talks to and "confronts "Anakin. Remembering moments between them before they fell out. Things like that.

Both Hayden and Ewan have aged pretty well over the past 15 years. They could easily pull off their younger selves via make up and cgi trickery if they decide on flashbacks.

Frozensoda and BeatleJWOL like this.
  19. BeatleJWOL

If I were Dave Filoni, and this rumor were true, that would absolutely be my plan.

In Rebels we see an already-in-exile Obi-Wan on Tatooine.

He's in full Jedi monk mode and thoroughly at peace, or so it appears.

Seeing how we got from a conflicted, betrayed Obi-Wan at the end of Episode III to the desert monk from Episode IV would make for some great character storytelling. Seeing him come to terms with the passing of Anakin balanced with his continued efforts to look after young Luke, I'm absolutely there for, and I can see how some flashbacks and/or visions featuring Hayden Christensen's Anakin would be a part of that.

20. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster A skeptical believer....

Yes, I'd be on board with that. I've often thrown around ideas and speculated on how that particular time in Obi-Wan's life would actually play out. It's a story I'd like to see for sure.

There is a lot of emotional weight to his story during this time; Obi-Wan saw everything burn down, his student becomes Darth Vader, the Jedi's all are but destroyed, his best buddy (Yoda) is never to be seen again (well, not on the physical plane lol), and he just has to 'blend into the rocks' anonymously....forever...the system chewed noble, wise, uber-good guy Obi-Wan and spit him out.

There is a lot to mine here I think...I'd also think there would be several adventures to explore since he is on the run and likely on Darth's "Most Wanted" list. Obi-Wan is a colorful, fun character and it was always fun to watch him get out jams.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Yeah, I get that it could be flashbacks. I thought the rumor implied it'd be more than just flashbacks, though! :shrug:

And both EM and HC look fine, but they'd still need a lot of "deaging" to work. HC was only 23 when they shot "Sith" - even the "best aging" person in the world is gonna look a lot different at 39 than at 23! :D

22. surforia

surforia Forum Resident

I love the concept of HC re-playing Anakin with a different director. Let him get a chance to redeem the character to a wider audience. I just finished watching all 133 episodes of The Clone Wars (not much else to do in lockdown), and I'm not sure whether this has been discussed, but the series really added more depth and nuance to Anakin that made his ultimate fall to the dark side even more tragic and believable. Including flashbacks between HC and EW into the ObiWan series - perhaps instances in which ObiWan remembers Anakin as being particularly angry or "signs" that he was going to turn - could act in a similar way for the larger audience who wouldn't otherwise be open to watching animation.

Also, FWIW, I thought the final 4 episodes of The Clone Wars were amazing - the way they intertwined with Episode III reminds me of the way Back to the Future II was "embedded" into the original BTTF movie. Very cool contemporaneous storytelling that expands your view of the original story. No matter what you think about the Disney sequel trilogy - those last 4 episodes of The Clone Wars were some great SW storytelling, and they were developed under Mickey's ownership.

BeatleJWOL, David Campbell and SJP like this.
  23. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

If they erase them, then I want my money back from watching them.

Phillip Walch and David Campbell like this.
  24. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

At this point I'd like some new stories with new characters. No more spin-offs or using previous characters. Give us something new that builds on the Star Wars universe instead of running it into the ground.

Phillip Walch and David Campbell like this.
  25. Phillip Walch

It really isn't hard after all. We have thousands of years of stories within the EU and they can pretty much pick 'n' mix as they choose.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.