Star Wars soundtracks:it's finally happen but, Right this time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kiko1974, Mar 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kiko1974

Kiko1974 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Shawn Murphy will get it right for sure.

coffeetime likes this.
  3. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The vinyl issues for the latest trilogy have been later releases. The digital releases for the The Last Jedi were on the day of the movie release. The vinyl was just released March 16. The Force Awakens was in June 17, 2016 after the December 2015 movie release. I would expect the same for this release.

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hope it's less sound compressed then.
    The CD covers look cheesy btw.

Dyland likes this.
  5. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

What was wrong with the RSO CD releases from 1983?. They sound fine to me.

BrentB likes this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

If anything, TBW it is not a great sounding like the prequels’ .

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. Kiko1974

What we don't know is in what form the soundtracks will be presented, if they will be as the original albums from 1977,1980 and 1983 like the latest Sony vinyl and digital download releases, or if they will be complete and in chronological order like the 1997 Victor or 2005 Sony releases.

8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I cherish my 1992 4 CD box set but would love to hear an upgrade in Hi Rez if possible,I read an article that said some of the tapes from SW and ESB are useless.

9. Beadle Bamford

Beadle Bamford Forum Resident

According to The Second Disc, these will be reconstructions of the album presentations, but sourced not from older album mixes/masters but from new transfers of the original recordings.

The Saga Continues: Disney to Reconstruct, Reissue Original 'Star Wars' Soundtracks on CD

10. Beadle Bamford

Beadle Bamford Forum Resident

And yes I agree, the artwork looks lackluster.

11. Kiko1974

As long as they sound great, I'm buying regardless of artwork.

warewolf95 likes this.
  12. Kiko1974

But using the original artwork from 1977, 1980 and 1983 with the "REMASTERED" statement on top on silver lettering would look great, or the original movie posters adapted for a square artwork stating on a visible but unobstrusive way that they are remastered would sure look much better.
    By the way,the pre-orders are also up on Amazon UK.

Jarleboy and coffeetime like this.
  13. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

I bought the hi-res downloads of the Ultimate set (LP configs of the 77-83 & 99-05 soundtracks, not the 1997 RCA configs) and have been nothing short of delighted with them ever since.

Have to say that the artwork is terrible though, even worse than Disney’s artwork for the current digital offerings of the soundtracks. The LP artwork for the 77-83 soundtracks is iconic in my book. Looks like I could do worse than picking up the recent 10CD box for the gatefold album sleeves & original artwork, and then slip the new discs in.

Intriguiged to hear these and for little more than a fiver each in the UK, I’ll not lose much if they’re unspeakably awful (unlikely after the stellar vinyl and hires versions from a couple of years back).

And so the storied history of the original trilogy soundtracks continues....

14. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Pre-ordered!

I really hope the old LP programs of the Original Trilogy have been really "reconstructed", because I can't hear anymore all those bad analogue EDITS (In Star Wars Main Theme particularly)!

I feel sorry for those who bought the previous 2016 Ultimate boxset, but we all know it was Sony's "Ultimate" chance before passing the torch to Disney.

Now, if it's really well "reconstructed"... I mean with all the right takes (not like the material found on the Anthology boxset... oooofff... yes, it is not won...) in the next months we could expect the great "definitive" (if it's possible...) 6 expansions (à la "Mike Matessino" I hope) we all wait for years.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
  15. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Confused...What hi-res set did I buy last year?

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Hi-res transfers of the original LP masters.

oneway23 likes this.
  17. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thanks, coffee...Isn't that what I want? I had the old 4-cd anthology set on CD. I guess where I'm lost is what these new releases are adding to the equation. Thanks for your help & patience.

18. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

In 2016 you bought a remastered version of this :

[​IMG]

Now, they've just made new HD transfers of this:

[​IMG]

...So they reconstructed a brand new this:

[​IMG]

:D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2018
  19. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Brilliant, Bespin! I love it! So, they're essentially Frankensteining the old pieces into a new digital whole...OK...I think I get it...Why do I need to be excited by this?

20. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Because it may lead to brand new expanded sets in the next months...

But if you like the old clunky analogue EDITS on your « Hi-Res » 2016 set, don't move now! ;)

21. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I don't know whether or not I like clunky edits, but, I'm sure glad that I have someone like you here on this form willing to take the time to explain what you mean to one who has no idea...:D

That's your cue....Hit it!

Bespin74 likes this.
  22. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Why is that bad? I’m honestly asking?

Ed

Simon A and oneway23 like this.
  23. Bespin74

Bespin74 Forum Resident

Nothing is bad in the recorded music domain, but it seems we can always get better, there is no infinite LOL

joshm2286 and Nostaljack like this.
  24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The hires transfers of the LP masters aren’t bad in any way, I love mine to bits and plenty (not all) wee happy with the vinyl sets derived from them as well. As much as I appreciated the expanded approach of the Anthology sets and then the chronological, Complete approach of the 1997 2CD sets (well, for the first film at least), the original 77 Star Wars and 83 ROTJ LPs always held a special place in my heart. Loved the Polydor release of it and was blown away by the recent hires versions of the original LP versions of the soundtracks.

I’ll happily take these new ‘constructions’ and if they’re no good (unlikely given the individuals involved), I’ll still have the 86 Polydor CD, the Anthology box, the 97 RCA 2CD and the recent hires downloads to keep me happy.

25. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

There kinda is. There's a great video about what went into creating those Sony LPs and Hi-Res files and I can't imagine doing any more. Further, those tapes are only getting older. Heck, the "Empire" mix down masters are toast and couldn't even be used. Tapes are quite resilient, to be sure, but they aren't completely impervious to damage.

Ed

Kiko1974 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.