Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by -=Rudy=-, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff Thread Starter

Haven't seen this mentioned here yet, but I just noticed a week or two ago that Amazon was accepting preorders of the original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD, which has a release date of Sept. 21, 2004. Amazon lists it for $41.99 (free shipping), as does Deep Discount DVD ($41.88).

I'm still debating preordering it to get it on release day, or waiting for reviews before making the jump. Anyone else?

Supposedly it will have four discs: the three films on three discs, and the fourth with some neat features on it. Details here:

http://www.fye.com/repositories/staticPages/popups/starwars/starwarsfeatures.htm

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Oh I definitely getting this boxset no matter what but when...I don't know (pre-ordering can mean a few days delay).
    I think this is one where the stores will come in at a good price.

Plus I need to play the the first film (A New Hope) in its DVD 5.1 form asap on release date.

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Yeah. Even though I'm very disappointed the discs are going to include the 1997 "special editions" and not the 1977, 1980, and 1983 originals, I'm still buying it.

4. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Never look a gift horse in the mouth....

If Lucas is releasing them on DVD, I am getting them. No matter what version. I would prefer the originals, but appears Lucas is never going to release them again...

5. -=Rudy=-

I thought these versions were going to be further "enhanced" over what was released in 1997. If not, then they might not be so bad. Maybe they're saving those changes for an eventual six-movie box set...?

6. GregY

GregY New Member

They will be. According to reports. No one who knows the full details has released them yet.

I have DVD rips of the Definitive Edition laserdiscs. I have no interest in buying the SEs regardless of video quality, audio quality or extras. If I receive them as a gift, so be it.

7. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I feel the same as you. I 've never understood Lucas's need to continually "improve" something that was a product of a certain era.

John K.

8. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

I'll be getting them the day they're released. Although I would also have prefered the original theatrical release to have been included, I don't really mind "Enhanced" Editions. I know I'm in the minority though.

9. chaz

chaz Senior Member

I'll also be picking these up, no matter which version Lucas releases. I've got the original movies on laserdisc in the box set that weighs 2 tons, so I'll be a happy camper either way. :)

10. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Droppin' some hints there, eh Greg? :laugh:

11. -=Rudy=-

I have the original widescreen LD versions, as well as the 1997 THX black box. So I do have access to watching those versions if I want. The 1997s didn't bother me all that much, but too many changes could be distracting.

12. GregY

GregY New Member

Sure, my address is ...

Seriously, I don't mind if I don't have the SEs. I loved going to see them in the theater. Even though the prequels are weak, I enjoyed seeing them in the theater as well. But, for me, I grew up with the original versions and those are the ones I want to own and watch over and over again. Those are the ones I want to show to my son when he's old enough in a few years.

I know it's been debated relentlessly on the 'net and will continue to be. Lucas has every right to keep playing with his art and I have every right to not purchase the revisions.

The originals are easy enough to find on eBay, either in a legitimate laserdisc format or via other avenues. I'm surprised so many people are planning to 'settle' for the official SEs.

13. dcooper

dcooper New Member

Enhancing the special effects doesn't bother me, but changing the storyline does...as with the cantina scene in A New Hope where it's been changed so that Han doesn't fire the first shot.

14. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I think that's been changed back.

15. jeff e.

jeff e. Member

It's obviously Lucas's right to do what he wants with his old films. However, I for one refuse to support this. What harm could it possibly do to his reputation to include the original versions of all three films? He strikes me as the film world's Frank Zappa--continually trying to "improve" things that were already close to perfection in the first place.

I'll stick with my mid-90's THX laserdisc editions. I can live without the DD 5.1 if it means I get to see the original versions.

16. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

That's one of my main issues: when watching the "revised" versions I spend more time trying to figure out what is new or changed than I do just enjoying the movie.

John K.

17. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member

I'm buying it, but I don't know why. I watched ANH SE on the big screen, hated the changes, and didn't watch ESB or RotJ SE.

Still... let's face it. My Faces LD's don't look right on my HDTV... so I guess that's the main reason I'll be getting the new versions.

18. GregY

GregY New Member

I also don't like the new Sarlacc that looks like Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors. And I also love the original Yub Yub Ewok song.

I'm also convinced that Jedi Rocks (the song that was put into the Jabba's palace scene in RotJ) is the absolute low point of music in film. It is absolultely atrocious and makes me cringe whenever I hear it.

19. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

The original Lapti Nek (or however you spell that) wasn't really that bad. I think it was written by John Williams and his son Joseph (you know, the guy from Toto). It seems less likely that Jabba would have a band with full on choreographed dancers than just a few dudes playing some tune.

20. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I like the Orig Tril, but I watch them less than once per year maybe every 18 mths or so or less. I have the Faces LD set so I will spend my coin on Ctirterion releases.

21. KLM

KLM Senior Member

I'll be buying this probably the day it comes out. Best Buy or Circuit City will probably have an aggressive price on this one that may be lower than Amazon. I'll wait and see....

22. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Don't hate me, but I work on the Fox lot here in Los Angeles & they will sell it in their studio store for about 1/3 the price anywhere else!!!

23. -=Rudy=-

I'm going to watch the online retailers--no sales tax in most cases, and many now offer free shipping. I won't fret over a $3 or $4 difference though. I only tend to order from Amazon more because I am an Amazon affiliate and can get a small percentage of the sale back. ;)

24. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I was going to purchase this set, but I have been waiting over 25 years for the Lucas to realize his true vision before I watch them, and I understand he only has another half-dozen or so revisions left before he gets there. :sigh:

...of course I will be bahhh bahhh buying it. I can't resist the allure of those attractively packaged shiny metal discs. My understanding is that in the making of materials, that Lucas will be using digital technology to give himself the blonde highlights he had originally wanted his hairdresser to give him in 1977.

Regards,

25. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Uh-oh. Check this out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.