‘Star Wars VII’ Will Have Major Change to Opening: No Fox Fanfare

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hokeyboy

Hokeyboy Nudnik of Dinobots

I'm more interested in a great story with interesting characters and a fun sense of wonder and excitement, something that Episodes 1-3 couldn't deliver even WITH a Fox Fanfare.

THAT is the Star Wars experience.

Scott222C, 905, bubba-ho-tep and 4 others like this.
  2. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The fanfare is not going to make or break someone's enjoyment of the film or the film itself. It's non-essential. If it was so important to the franchise, how come 1-3 SUCKED?

e.s. likes this.
  4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

5. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Abrams always shoots on film using anamorphic lenses so that was expected...the scale models thing is a pleasant surprise.

6. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

WE ALL KNOW it's not the same studio. I think all hardocore fans are complaining that we won't have the traditional FOX Fanrare that's a SW trademark, a movie icon. Simple as that.

eyeCalypso likes this.
  7. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

And everyone should remember that if it wasn't for Disney there would be no episodes 7, 8 and 9. Lucas didn't want to make them. He was too busy altering episodes 4, 5 and 6.

8. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But some of them are taking it farther than that and demanding that Disney use the Fox logo before the film.

I understand the disappointment. It'll feel weird to see a "Star Wars" movie without the Fox fanfare.

But it's nuts to expect that Disney will run the Fox logo/fanfare before a movie in which Fox wasn't involved. And Captain Groovy's comments about "Titanic" and other co-productions are irrelevant unless Disney decides they want Fox to have some involvement on the project. Paramount invested in "Titanic" after Fox got nervous - that's totally different than Disney being expected to slap the Fox logo and fanfare onto a movie for free! :crazy:

Claudio Dirani likes this.
  9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

wolfram and dhoffa85 like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Naw, Lucas said publicly that he was already 69 years old and knew it was a bad idea to start a 3-film project that would probably take 9-10 years to complete. He needed to hand it down to a younger guy. I also think that he was very hurt by the lack of success of Red Tails, and the critical skewering he'd taken on Episodes 1-2-3, which (even for a billionaire) wounded him over the last 15 years.

It's interesting to note that Lucas had very little grey hair when he was shooting Star Wars, but it was 75% grey by the time he did Jedi, six years later. (His 1983 divorce didn't help.)

There's enough animosity between Fox and Disney, I don't think Fox would even let Disney use the music. I always thought it was interesting that John Williams was smart and creative enough to not only re-record Alfred Newman's "Fox Fanfare," but he also made sure the opening notes for the film that followed were in the same key. I think this is a large part of the reason why the logos fit so seamlessly into the film -- that, plus Lucas putting his "Lucasfilm" logo in the "CinemaScope Extension" portion of the fanfare, which was an idea so hilarious, I laughed out loud when I first saw the film in the theater. Great in-joke for fans.

dhoffa85 likes this.
  11. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Had they fallen back to using the shorter version prior to the original Star Wars?

12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

A new hope?

nbakid2000 likes this.
  13. SonOfAlerik

Back when the originally trilogy was going Lucas had said the plan was for 3 trilogies with episodes 7, 8 and 9 being the last. But after Jedi came out he started saying that later wasn't going to happen. That's why I'm glad Disney has it now. Lucas obviously had a plan for them as he gave that to Disney.

14. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

When it comes out on DVD I am going to record it on my VHS which I have prepared a 20th Century Fox Fanfare to be insterted in place of the Disney Fanfare. The VHS tape will also give the film some credentials. Steal my youth? I dont think so Walt.Try and stop me.

15. conception

conception Forum Resident

Having the fox fanfare before the prequels didn't give them that classic feel. It's far more important what happens afterwards.

anthontherun likes this.
  16. mbrennem

mbrennem Active Member

Seems like they could adapt one of the original trilogy musical pieces (Luke's Theme?) as music to play over the Disney and/or Bad Robot logos. Should lead nicely into the big opening. Much as I love the Fox Fanfare lead-in, it clearly ain't happening.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And they have the right to completely throw it out and start from scratch, which I think is what they're doing. Given the fact that J.J. Abrams just fired the original Episode 7 writer, pushed the release date back 6 months, and hired Lawrence Kasdan, anything could happen.

18. SonOfAlerik

Didn't Lucas supply just a rough storyline for the trilogy? I'm sure it needed to be written anyway. We all know no one wants Lucas himself to write it.

19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

no fanfare at start! well then the movie is over before it begins ! :rolleyes: lol

20. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

It made the first minute or so of Episode 1 great.

Then the rest of the movie happened...

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

An outline may have been written, but Abrams is under no pressure to use it.

22. Oatsdad

IIRC, the original outline kept the Emperor alive until the end of Episode 9. Lucas got so burned out by the whole "Star Wars" process between "ESB" and "Jedi" that he took a lot of the concepts meant for Episodes 7-9 and packed them into "Jedi".

If that's accurate, then the upcoming movies would have to go down a pretty different path...

23. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, why is no one freaking out over the Bad Robot logo being in there now?

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Oatsdad

Well, we don't know for a fact it'll be there...

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Will any of these characters be the same for all of us? Disney trying to "Reboot" SW, but will the older audience buy any of it....yes Disney paid a lot for Lucasfilm they do want to come out swinging with several hits and bases loaded for a Home Run. Cinema-goers will go and or not go in numbers. Just have to wait and see, wait and see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.