Steely Dan - Citizen box set vs. current cds - sound quality

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MichaelSmith, Feb 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident Thread Starter

Are the current remastered Steely Dan cd's the same as the Citizen Steely Dan box set? Or were the cd's done later?

If so what is the better sound of the two?

2. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

Hi there - I can't answer your question but I'd suggest you look for the original MCA CDs...you may have to look for a while but they do pop up online and in used bins (often for very little) and they sound awesome. I had a couple of the later remasters and I don't know if they're the same as what's in CITIZEN DAN, but I can tell you I didn't like the way they sounded at all.

Roger Nichols mastered most of the original MCA CDs, and there are also versions of KATY LIED and AJA mastered by Steve Hoffman out there too (do a Forum search, lots on this). THE ROYAL SCAM original MCA CD mastered by Nichols sounds incredible.

It can get confusing finding these discs - MCA changed outer packaging a few times but sometimes the original mastering persisted for a while etc. Do a Forum search again to find stuff like the numbers on the CDs you want to look for.

George P likes this.
  3. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

Between the box set and the current remasters, the current discs are a significant improvement. The box set was treated with noise reduction throughout, and sounds a bit muddy. The current discs are brighter (maybe too bright, according to some), but they're really not that bad. I still prefer the original first-round Nichols discs, but if you don't feel like hunting those down, the current remasters should suit you just fine.

4. They are not the same...

And I would not touch the 2nd 1/2 of your question with a 10 foot pole;)

Having said that, the RM's are on yourmusic.com for $7 each. IMHO, the liner notes alone are worth the $7.

Brian

Keith V likes this.
  5. butch

butch Senior Member

Ditto,the Liner Notes to the Remasters are witty and brilliant no doubt.The Box Set sounds warmer BUT in a bad compressed and muddy way.The Nichols Discs are very revealing and in some ways they are too revealing but they sound clear open and accurate but there is no tubey magic or air or analogness on these discs but they are very clean and present the music in a very forward light.Let the Buyer Beware...but enjoy the liner notes.....especially the whole bit about ABC Records on the Aja disc....priceless storytelling from the strangeness rock/jazz duo of all time.Becker could have been a satirist...........

6. Gaucho

What do you guys think of the SACD version of Gaucho (CD layer sound quality)?

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

8. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

I picked up the el cheapo super savers version of Pretzel logic this week in a used bin and can't stop playing it in my car. I've re-fallen in love with this album. I haven't heard the remasters but traded in all my original discs when the boxset came out. Although the box sounds fine to me, I've been re-picking up the older versions when I see them.

Keith V likes this.
  9. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Best I've heard. Again, that's MY opinion. But I am very happy with it.

10. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Can you tell us your monitoring system, please?

11. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I've been picking up the old ones too. I am actually being embarassingly nitpicky about it. There are all kinds of variations to those MCA discs, but the early-early ones are MCA "made in Japan for U.S." pressings, with cat#s that begin with "MCAD-37". You'll find "made in U.S." copies, plaid back re-issues, cat#s starting with "MCAD-31", record club issues (some of these categories overlap)... all of them are later and are supposedly the same first mastering, but I must say I'm having a fun time hunting for the early ones.

12. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

Same with me. I like the box-set's sound too, but I pick up the originals when I see them in a second hand record store.
    Achim

13. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I personally think the early discs are the best. I just found that once I buying them and started playing them I ended up getting rid of the remasters as fast as poss. No comparison soundwise. Well to me anyway.

I also think the SACD of Gaucho's red book layer is excellent.

14. [SACD redbook layer]
    I second that, played it a lot over the last few months and IMHO it sounds fantastic. :thumbsup:

15. MichaelSmith

MichaelSmith Forum Resident Thread Starter

They are $6 at Buy.com with free shipping.

16. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

Get the box set

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

That thing is loaded with noise reduction. I used to like it...until I came here and was educated.

18. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have the Box Set, but have been playing more vinyl lately. The Cisco Aja
    of course is great, and the Greatest Hits double l.p. sounds better than the
    c.d.s I have. Also recently got Pretzel Logic and Countdown (orig. ABCs)
    in minty condition. These guys recorded this stuff in analog, so I'm just
    following through.

19. My dad got this as a birthday present around the time it came out, it turned me into a fan. The absence of the "Rikki don't lose that number" intro, the "Dallas/Sail the waterway" single and the incorrect sequence of some albums has always bothered me though. The booklet that comes with the boxed set isn't that great either.

20. matthew58

matthew58 Forum Resident

I had the box set, but I really didn't like the sound, at all. They just sounded "not right" to me, not like I remember off my old lps. I recently bought all of the remasters, and I'm much happier with them, sound is clearer, seems more spacious and truer to the lp sound I remember (not exactly, or course!). Now I'm on the look out for the early cds, just to see what all the fuss is about.

21. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

I have all of the original MCA's, either US or Japan for US and they do sound great. The original vinyl is a bit better (I have these as well) but these CD's are excellent. Not too difficult to find either.

22. chrswlkrc

chrswlkrc New Member

I had the remasters for CBAT and Pretzel Logic, and ditched those as soon as I heard the original CD's. They sound very good and can be had for very little money. Its worth it to search those out...

23. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Even the plaid back MCA's sound better than the box set or newest remasters. Very easy to find these floating around.

24. jstraw

jstraw Forum Resident

I just bought the seven MCA titles from various Amazon vendors for a total of $27.55 plus shipping.

25. The CD layer sounds similar to the 2000 remaster, at least I haven't been able to spot major differences. The stereo and 5.1 surround layers are probably my favourites of the ones I've heard (I've heard the original USA MCA LP, the Citizen boxed set, the 2000 remaster and the SACD), it just adds a bit more warmth to what is already an amazing sounding album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.