Steely Dan touring without Walter Becker?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chemically altered, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthology123

Anthology123 Senior Member

I played the B-side of Hey Nineteen years ago, I wondered what that was all about. It's a bit vague, but I recall him introducing the group as "Mr. Steely Dan".

Duke Fame likes this.
  2. nootin

nootin Forum Resident

That's true, that's what the lawsuit was about, Fagen wanting the contract they'd made to be honored by Beckers estate.

Really i think Walter had been tired of the whole thing since Gaucho and that he had to be coaxed into Two Against Nature/Everything Must Go - after his initial recovery from addiction he mellowed out and Donald seems to have had to bug him to get him to do things (yes they worked on each others solo stuff but that was more laid back than SD sessions) - I don't have a link handy but I read an interview w DF where he said at one point Becker just quit calling him back - in still another Becker said he just didn't have the attention span anymore for the perfectionism that was Steely Dan (these interviews were post TAN/EMG btw)

RIP Walter

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Keith V and Hep Alien like this.
  3. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

I heard DF in an interview once said, post internet, that his income was 10% of what it had been during the 70s. Maybe he was referring to residuals only. But there must have been some good motivations to tour for both of them.

4. rustymf

rustymf New Member

Mike Love IS the Beach Boys.

5. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

Feb.20 : today would've been Walter's 69th birthday. :cheers:

Hep Alien, Mook and anth67 like this.
  6. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

................and tonight is the night I get to see the band for the first time (with a first "viewing" of Steve Winwood as support!!).

7. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Maybe this should be a separate thread? ;)

gregorya likes this.
  8. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Or maybe Pink Floyd, although I never can remember which one he is.

9. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Perhaps Donnie Steele... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.