Steely Dan's old "Two Against Nature" concert DVD is awesome!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ParloFax, Jan 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Played a few more tracks last night. Still got my wife and I boppin' along!

I think what entices me more and more about this video is the direction (Earle Sebastian), the editing - very "musical" of course - and especially the photography (what's the correct word when cinematography is for a video?...). You're watching something special, not an ordinary music show for TV... It strikes me because modern day video, in local state-of-the-art, is SO ugly... And this DVD is like discovering technicolor for the first time...

A few rough spots with hand-held camera, probably kept on purpose... Some interesting image angles and use of low-key here and there, in the B&W docu segments as well as in the in-color show. Better stop here or my thread will get exported to the visual arts forum!

Mr.La Page likes this.
  2. ParloFax

ParloFax Senior Member Thread Starter

Here the drummer is Ricky Lawson. I guess you are referring to that show you attended.

RoyalScam likes this.
  3. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i was, and carlock was.

4. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

R.I.P. Ricky Lawson. What a groove. I was at the VH-1 Storytellers taping a couple days after this (also at Sony Studios). What a polished unit. But...they got even better.

Mr.La Page and ParloFax like this.
  5. Mr.La Page

Mr.La Page Smoking with the boys upstairs...

I wish my wife got excited when i turn on the Dan. She tries to find the nearest exit. I believe one time she tripped over our dog trying to get away. :(

6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I just bought a copy of the Two Against Nature DVD at Bull Moose for $8.97. It'll arrive in a few days. I was wondering if the DVD is in widescreen?

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  7. Kamaaina1

Kamaaina1 Kanikapila!

No, on my tv it’s blocked on the sides. Forgot what the term is. Sounds FANTASTIC!!!

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

4 X 3 video, but excellent 5.1 mix. Lots of nice bass too.

JonUrban, Bill Mac, Galactus2 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

ParloFax likes this.
  10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Two Against Nature is one of my favourite Dan albums. West Of Hollywood is epic.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Featuring the man who has become one of the best tenor players on the planet, Chris Potter.

DrJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.