Stephen Stills 2: Opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SurrealCereal, Aug 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

I love Marianne! And next to that Sugar Babe. Fine album.

905 and rollo5 like this.
  2. themarkster

themarkster Forum Resident

I actually prefer this to the debut; I find that a tad overblown, overdubs everywhere and not letting the songs breath. Singin' Call is one of Stills' best song, really showcasing his strengths as an acoustic player and I love the way his vocals rise for each chorus...

3. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Maybe it was the guy above who said Illegal Stills and Thoroughfare Gap are his best solo albums :)

4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I still don't.

Is anyone capable of posting a link to these infamous negative reviews? All the ones I've found are moderately favorable to glowing.

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. rollo5

rollo5 Forum Reprobate

One of the better sounding rock records I own. I greatly prefer side 1, but like the album as a whole too.

6. 905

905 Senior Member

Listening to this one now. I'm very fond of it.
    Sugar Babe just came on :thumbsup:

7. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Played my copy for the first time and enjoyed it more than expected. Wonder if my copy is unusual somehow: It's got an RI suffix (so it came from PRC in Richmond, Indiana) and it's got the usual Artisan marking and the Presswell "PR," so that's not the unusual part—but it's got AAA in the deadwax and was apparently cut by George Piros? The AT/GP is there plain as day and I don't see any copies listen on Discogs with this mark.

Oh, and it sounds terrific.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. Safeway 1

Safeway 1 "mad, bad, and dangerous to know"

Been a fan of Stephen since the beginning. I have just about everything he's put to disc including all his band work. I just can't put up this with his best. As far as his solo stuff goes this is better than Illegal Stills and Stills, but not even close to his first album and Manassass. The Pieces odds and sods release from a couple years ago is better than 2 IMHO. 2 is decent but not in the inner cicle of his best. There are a couple tunes on Pieces that were on 2. I feel these versions are better on Pieces. Any Stills fan that hve not heard Pieces pick it up.

9. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that is one of my favorite stills songs

Safeway 1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.