Stephen Stills Manassas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

A revive classic (1972)

[​IMG]

Had this on double LP way back and hadn't heard it for years.

Recently picked up the Atlantic CD remaster.

What a wonderful musical mix - still as fresh and uplifting now as it was in 1972.

Manassas
    *Stephen Stills - vocals, guitar, bottleneck guitar, piano, organ, electric piano, clavinette
    *Chris Hillman - vocals, guitar, mandolin
    *Al Perkins - steel guitar, guitar, vocals
    *Calvin "Fuzzy" Samuel - bass
    *Paul Harris - organ, tack piano, piano, organ, electric piano, clavinette
    *Dallas Taylor - drums
    *Joe Lala - percussion, vocals

Additional musicians
    *Sydney George - harmonica
    *Jerry Aiello - piano, organ, electric piano, clavinette
    *Bill Wyman - bass
    *Roger Bush - acoustic bass
    *Byron Berline - fiddle

ccbarr likes this.
  2. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This is a great one. Stills had a fantastic run in the 60s and 70s. He was one of my favorite artists during that time period.

s320no, dino77 and melstapler like this.
  3. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Totally agree with you re the mix of styles. Wonderful album and I also loved the follow up which wasn't as well received.

4. jdrueke

jdrueke Handsome Man

Out of the tons of great music this site has introduced me to, this album might be my favorite. I was blown away the first time I heard this CD a few years ago and it just gets better.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  5. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I like the follow up also!

6. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

what ever happened to al perkins? i really enjoyed his work.

7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Manassas I was the best album Stills ever made with anybody. Really, it's brilliant and should get the cult status that a lot of Burritos/Byrds related albums regularly get.

The second? Not sure...Just seems like a bunch of outtakes from I, and the different musical flavors don't mix together anywhere near as well.

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

One of my favorite albums that I have never stopped listening to since it was released. My go to version now is the Classic Records 200g reissue. Really sounds great!

Myke, melstapler and Apple2276 like this.
  9. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Arguably one of the highlights of his career. Great record!

10. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Love this record. In fact, have just had a re-shuffle of the LP covers on my musicroom wall and added this very LP.

Also like the fact the CD inlay says the album was released 12th April 1972, the day I was born.

Probably makes my alltime top 10 albums, if not top 10 its just outside the 10. Top 20 for sure.

11. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

just outside the top 10 . . . let's call it top 13, solid.:o

12. A great album, I do not have much else to add about it. A Hi-Rez option from Audio Fidelity or MFSL would be incredible.:agree:

Hutch likes this.
  13. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

A long-time fan of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, and Steven Stills solo, I somehow completely overlooked this album until a few months ago when I finally got curious about it. Stills' best work. I love it.

Just noticed Bill Wyman listed above!

14. jason100x

jason100x Forum Resident

I am going to finally have to check this one out!

15. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Excellent record. My introduction to Stills, really. Great sound on this LP, too.

I really like the follow-up. Some excellent grooves.

16. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

One of my favorite albums, ever. Solid greatness, from the first note to the last. Not a weak moment.

17. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Stills finest hour, I like the follow up too, but almost anything would pale in comparison to the first Manassas. Does anyone know the status of the Graham Nash produced Stills boxset? That ought to be a rocket.

18. twowwheels

twowwheels Forum Resident

Fantastic album. truly wonderful. Great songs. great musicians. hillman got to play guitar. I was lucky enough to see the band twice. Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to pull out and spin the album.

19. Cousin It

Cousin It Senior Member

Best thing he was ever responsible for,and I'm a big Springfield fan.What a shame that band couldn't stay together longer.

20. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Good album, no question about it.

21. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Classic records did a nice job with this album

22. Greg1954

Greg1954 New Member

Re: solo work, I actually place Stills above Crosby and Nash, largely on the strength of Manassas.

23. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

Sounds crazy but I think Stills might actually have been under-rated... maybe in the shadow of Neil a little bit from this perspective. But back then... I hear him as the driving force in CSN. And this record is a masterpiece, no question. When Stills was at his best, he was as good as it gets... this is him at his best, no doubt.

PackmanJim likes this.
  24. Sunset Sam

Sunset Sam Forum Resident

IIRC, "Blues Man" is about Alan "Blind Owl" Wilson of Canned Heat who had passed away not too long before.

When I saw Chris Hillman live with Herb Pedersen a few years ago, they played "It Doesn' Matter" which gave me a new appreciation for the song.

Personally, I like about half the album, and the other half I look at as filler. Sonically, it is all great (especially the original vinyl release...seek it out!) but just don't think two-LPs was the way to go. My 2¢.

Oh, and get the DVD of them playing live on some TV show...it's a full set, and they are great! Plus, you get to see Greg Brady bang it out on the congas throughout! No kiddin'!!!!

25. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

A very personal favorite album of mine. I rank it right beside Neil's "After The Goldrush" as far as solo CSNY albums go.
    I should add that the 2nd version of this cd is really nice. Don't think I ever heard the original cd pressing.

It was the 2 lp set that I fell in love with, though, on headphones in my bedroom after coming home from a night of mischief of some sort... this album and a few Moody Blues albums were always a nice antidote to the sky/mind-tearing antics ;) I'd been up to earlier in the evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.