Steppenwolf: "Gold - Their Gold Hits", Coming from Analogue Productions - September 22, 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David P. Hill, Jul 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

This one and Golden Biscuits were the exception to that rule.

steve phillips and Myke like this.
  2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

To each his/her own. I much prefer the cover AP used.

George P likes this.
  3. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

Got that too. No replacement ever showed up. I play the SACD layer anyway.

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  4. I’d buy one of the defective copies at this point if I could. I missed the boat when they pulled remaining stock.

5. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I got another email last week saying there are still plans to do a corrected run and mail out replacements to those who bought from them.

6. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident Thread Starter

Do they plan on releasing a newly corrected Steppenwolf "Gold - Their Gold Hits" hybrid SACD for those that haven't purchased this album? No specific date yet?

bagstiv likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Did you take the email to mean that the corrected run is *only* for those who got defective discs or that its for everyone?

8. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I did not keep the email but I think they mean it will be back on their web page for order.

jamesmaya and mpayan like this.
  9. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

10. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Whoa! I had forgotten about this. It's almost been a whole year? I had gotten the same above email last July. I just checked and I had asked them back in December about it and never got a response. Really feels like it's been put on the back burner.

George P likes this.
  11. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Just like the repress of Analogue Productions Blue Train, on the back burner for a year and half now.

12. George P

George P Notable Member

Why are they repressing that one?

13. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I was told they were and it’s sitting in Back Order status on their website.
    Usually if it’s going OOP it will say Limited Stock then it disappears once that stock is gone

14. George P

George P Notable Member

OK, so they are repressing because they are sold out, not because the first pressing was defective (as is the case with the Steppenwolf Gold)?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  15. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Correct

16. George P

George P Notable Member

Back burner indeed! I called Acoustic Sounds today about another disc and then asked about the Steppenwolf Gold SACD repressing. The customer service rep told me that she had no new news on this at all. I asked a bunch of questions, but all I got from her was "it's still in process, it hasn't been cancelled, if we cancel it we will let people know." She also couldn't say why it was still in process a year later or at what stage in the process things are at.

PhantomStranger and reb like this.
  17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Nice PR work on her part! Thanks for keeping us informed George.

18. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

That's how I saw it when it was released. That was a scary and cool cover to a 12 year old.

19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Has anyone gotten the AP 45 version of this and if so, how is the sound? If this bests the AP 33 (have only heard how great it sounds, do not have it) then I think I would have to get it, even though not a GRH fan.

latheofheaven and hi_watt like this.
  20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Yeah, I have the Monarch original White Label Promo that rocks. But I was just not 100% thrilled with the bass extension. Found another copy in the collection, a pressing from a year or so later, a CBS Santa Maria, and that one hits the spot. Smoother presentation and has the bass definition and slight extension I wanted.

21. I’m still waiting for the corrected SACD. Hell, I’d settle for a copy with the defect at this point.

PhantomStranger and Sidewinder43 like this.
  22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Ok, I played the 45rpm version last night. The vinyl pressing is absolutely the best QRP pressing I have ever owned. There was no noise, at all. Of course, Kevin Gray did a great mastering job, but Kevin should be commended on his masterful job of cutting this record. It is often overlooked how important a great cutting job can be. I highly recommend this AP title.

latheofheaven and Myke like this.
  23. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

If I had known a 45 was coming, I'd have not bought the 33.3, but waited. Oh well, this and Second Helping 45 will forever elude me.

latheofheaven likes this.
  24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I have the 33 version too. I plan on gifting it to my daughter and her husband. A no brainer IMO. You know, AP's marketing strategy is a bit devious. They knew they were going to press this at 45rpm, I'm sure Kevin Gray cut this at the same time he did the 33, but waited for suckers like me to buy both versions.

latheofheaven and Myke like this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'd have taken Second Helping a little harder, had a member here not told me he compared, and assured me the audible difference was minute. At least to his ears.
    As far as devious...how about keeping the 33.3s around, making selling one a lot harder. Cheaper to keep her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.