Stereo First Who Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bill, May 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill

Bill Senior Member Thread Starter

Shel Talmy reports on his webpage that this release has been postponed from the previously reported late spring date until later in the year. He blames the "myriad of lawyers ensuring that every i is dotted and t crossed."
    In a remarkable display of restraint, I will now refrain from quoting the lyrics to "A Legal Matter."

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Heaping quantity of irony working here. Shel should know!

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Interesting how Shel has transformed his image into the good guy...

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

The good news is I hear its been done and is ready for release but these legal matters may hold it up. But have no fear, its coming.

JohnG

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Shel Talmy

>>>>>Yes, I also heard that its completed .

I wonder how wide the stereo mix is? Are the multis 3 track or 4 track, does anyone know?

Mikey

6. Angel

Angel New Member

Steve said 3-track.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Er...Talmy said 3-track. Steve never had access to those multitracks. Nobody has!

If you missed the ICE article, rumor is there will be around 40 tracks over the two discs. The 24 "masters" (one of which is unreleased), and (if you do the math) 16 unreleased tracks.

One issue I have is a friend of mine was given mono dubs of what he was told were all of Talmy's tapes. One song/version that was NOT there was the hit single version of Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - only the French EP version (which has some different vocals in places) was there. Now, Talmy has said he has all kinds of different versions of My Generation (the song), which weren't on those tapes, so either he didn't give my friend everything, or he's lying/confused. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

8. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

9. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Grant,

Great observation. You can bet that Shel is finding a way to make big $$ on this release!!

Bob

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not so sure Shel was ever really the "bad guy". The Who *did* break out of their contract with him. I believe that for as much as Shel didn't want to bargain with The Who, The Who didn't want to bargain with him. Just years of misunderstandings...

11. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

lukpac,

I have read a lot about Shel...many accounts. In all fairness, none of us really know him personally. It is my observation that he is at least an opportunist that will, at this point in his life, take advantage of a "payday" when he can and have that "payday" on his terms. Perhaps, he sees this as his just due. However, his track record as an "opportunistic profiteer" is well documented over many years with regard to release of older material on CD. Most "misunderstandings" are based on a lack of real communications and a feeling of mistrust.

Bob

12. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Like Talmy is something unusual in the Music Business, right ?

I don't blame him for getting his money's worth. He is actually doing the Who a favor by releasing these tapes. It helps them NOT produce any new material, which they dont want to do, and it gives them back some of their history.

He could have had a nice bonfire if he wanted too or released them to bootleggers !

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I'm curious what specifically you are referring to here. Could you provide some examples?

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

RELEASE DATE is: 8/20

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

For now anyway. No doubt that will be pushed back. It is the Who after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.