Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Yes, I did play it - I bought it the week it came out and didn't have a CD player at the time so it was only option. The pressing was so poor that the groove seemed to be peeling off parts of the disc so heaven knows how it was made! The group acknowledged that the pressing was poor but I guess it's possible the first handful were OK before the process went awry or somesuch.

Neonbeam likes this.
  2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Woah, that sounds horrible. Mine isn't like that at all but apparently the run was of highly varying quality.

3. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I have the original gold vinyl & it plays completely fine; I guess I was lucky.

Neonbeam likes this.
  4. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

I was a big Stereolab fan in the 90s (saw them on the Emperor Tomato Ketchup tour), but at the turn of the century my tastes shifted to other music and the last album I have is Dots and Loops. I would like to complete my collection, but am also looking at re-purchasing some of the 90s catalog based on the extras. Can anyone comment on how the extra material rates for this reissue campaign.

Devilscucumber likes this.
  5. svet_so

svet_so Well-Known Member

Mostly it’s not essential... it is interesting to hear rough sketches of the songs being developed and some of them are charming but IMO having listened to them once or twice I doubt I’ll play them much again. ME however has proper bonus material that is very good.

6. Devilscucumber

Devilscucumber Forum Resident

The inclusion of material from Instant 0 in the Universe :Mass Riff is a great track!

Crungy likes this.
  7. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The ancillary material is not revelatory to say the least. They're mostly Tim Gane strumming to Laetitia Sadier's vocal. You'll listen to it once, if that (I stopped bothering fairly early on), and never return to it again.
    Margerine Eclipse is different : they've included an EP instead.
    Makes you wonder what they'll do with it when they get to Switched On 4.

Crungy likes this.
  8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Three of the tracks are longer on the new Margerine Eclipse CD, I think - extra sections.

- Vonal Declosion
    - Hillbilly Motobike
    - Bop Scotch

Not sure if they're an improvement or not!

9. octophone

There have been several instances of this across the reissue series with tracks generally being allowed to run their course rather than being faded out. With Hillbilly Motorbike, I think this involved reinstating a section that was previously hived off and given its own track.

Willowman likes this.
  10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

11. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

To me they are. Especially 'Hillbilly Motobike'. Love it when the 'Lab' smash together unrelated songs.

I've listened to the new Margerine Eclipse numerous times. Its an overwhelming experience. An all at assault of hooks and melodies layered over even more hooks and melodies. I honestly can't think of another album quite like this.

Need to Be and ...Sudden Stars in particular are just gorgeous

Max Florian and frightwigwam like this.
  12. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Those who ge tthe newsletter will have seen that Switch On volumes 4 and 5 are forthcoming in 2020.

13. zither

zither Forum Resident

Has anyone received their 'five cliffs' gift yet? I got lucky with Sound Dust on clear vinyl!

14. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Also in the newsletter: “Scratch card winners, an update - We've had a few manufacturing delays so the disks probably won't be sent out for at least another 5 - 8 weeks.”

Defrance, BeardedSteven and zither like this.
  15. octophone

Also worth noting in the Lab Report is this:

It's likely that we will announce a final batch of shows before the end of 2020 - venues and countries TBC.

I think this puts paid to any notion that the reunion might be ongoing.

16. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

I wouldn't necessarily read it like that. I think it just means final for the current tour. They may not get around to doing anything else together and I doubt this has been a regular band reformation but if they've enjoyed it there may be other things to come.

17. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

They're doing another US tour this May.

2020 Tour Dates

I guess this was announced a few weeks ago, but just saw it now.

After not being able to go to Brooklyn last September (had other concerts the same days), I'll get to see them May 5th at Terminal 5 (much as I hate Terminal 5).

18. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

well, once again nowhere near Ohio ...

19. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Forum Resident

Anyone get lucky enough to have scratched off five Cliffs on multiple cards? I picked up every reissue but didn’t hit on any of my scratch cards. I’d be happy to compensate someone if they’re willing to give up one of their prizes.

20. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Saturday May 9th at Mr Smalls in Pittsburgh, PA!

rancher and Dreaddazzman like this.
  21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

OK missed that ... but my son is graduating college that weekend, and not in Pittsburgh!

22. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Sorry you won’t be able to make the show. But congratulations on your son’s upcoming graduation!

23. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

24. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Nice!

Sadly, the US tour dates have officially been canceled and not merely postponed. Oh well.

25. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I'm an idiot and forgot about sending in my winning card until it was too late :cry: