Stereolab - 2019 Reissue Campaign and a live return

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kevimetal, Dec 4, 2018.

1. octophone

octophone immaterial girl

Two different entries for the vinyl on that page too - suggests they may follow the pattern of the previous releases and have clear vinyl as well as black...

Neonbeam and polchik like this.
  2. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

That would explain how there are enough tracks for two more volumes. I’m good with an LP with all of those EP tracks. Some of my favorite stuff is on that box.

polchik and DesertIslander like this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What exactly is this? Another installment of "Switched On"?

4. Mumdad

Mumdad Forum Resident

This goes from 1999-2008 and features all the tracks from The First of the Microbe Hunters. Should be available this afternoon apparently.

Neonbeam and Snoddywilko like this.
  5. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

Great news! Where did you hear that?

6. Monrophonic

Monrophonic Forum Resident

Limited coloured 3xlp vinyl is available for pre-order now, for 2-26-2021 release. I just put in my order. Thanks for the heads-up!

This is from the Duophonic store, of course.

7. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Email!
    Got my order in too!
    Seems coloured vinyl sold out already. You've got to be 100% committed these days before EBay gets there. :realmad:

8. oldsiamsir

oldsiamsir Forum Resident

can anyone explain what Mirriboard is?

9. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

From the latest Lab Report - "Due to some delays, beyond our control, we are now ready to release D-UHF-D42 - 'Electrically Possessed [Switched On Vol. 4]' - the new compilation is available to pre-order now with a release date of February 26th 2021." I really do enjoy The First of the Microbe Hunters and nice to see an unreleased track with Charles Long listed.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  10. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It's silvery and reflective, almost metallic in appearance. This is the best example I can think of:
    [​IMG]

gomen ne likes this.
  11. gomen ne

gomen ne -

And done on this (not a good pic tho):
    Cavern Of Anti-Matter - Hormone Lemonade

jason202 likes this.
  12. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

I can't be certain, but I think they're referring to the sleeve, not the vinyl (even though the description says "Mirriboard Vinyl) when talking about "mirriboard."
    If you look at the sleeve shown with the colored vinyl edition, it looks to be reflective, or mirrorlike. If you look at the sleeve with the black vinyl edition, it looks to be more a matte cream color.

Echoes Myron and GordonM like this.
  13. arem

arem Forum Resident

Psyched that I got my order for the colored personalized edition in. I hesitated for a second because shipping to the US is so expensive but I've learned the hard way that I would regret not buying it way more than I would regret spending the money.

jupiter8 and Monrophonic like this.
  14. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Stereolab - Electrically Possessed [Switched On Volume 4]. duophonic.

Not much new to my collection, but a must-buy, for sure.

I have to say, I was never a big fan of Microbe Hunters, and I like my own comp better (I guess that's the way it goes with these territorial pissings :)).

The 3-song Rose, My Rocket Brain tour single was included on the reissue of Margerine Eclipse, so I can understand why that's missing. But I don't understand why they left off Spool of Collusion and Forensic Itch, a promo-only single. For some reason, I never included Calimero on my CDR comps, but I did include an extended mix of the UiLab single, St. Elmo's Fire.
    [​IMG]

Switched On Volume 4 has been a long time coming, that's for sure.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
  15. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

So focused as I was on hitting buy whilst it was available I actually failed to noticed that the coloured vinyl is garish splatter and not clear as I had assumed! No worries but I hope it plays as well as the recipe Tim perfected for all the previous clear pressings (Cavern and 'lab) which showed relatively few issues (aside from a few spots on Cobra as I remember). These are the risks we take with impulse buys and special edition vinyl!

Monrophonic and Echoes Myron like this.
  16. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

If you haven't checked out Tim's recent side project Ghost Power (with Jeremy Novak), take a listen. The 7" of this also had the purchaser's name written on the sleeve like this upcoming edition of Switched On...

Asteroid Witch / Inchwork, by Ghost Power

jupiter8 and GordonM like this.
  17. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

I agree, a nice listen and although it has a different vibe than most Cavern of Anti-Matter stuff the second side reminds me of it. Where did it state that the name of the purchaser would be written on the sleeve of Switched On Vol 4 (if I understand correctly what you are saying)?

18. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Thanks for the tip, I hadn't heard about this.

19. Packblower

Packblower Lovely form, lovely buttocks.

The announcement e-mail sent earlier today, which says the Duophonic mail order edition "will be personalised with the purchaser's name"

GordonM likes this.
  20. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

So it did - thanks! I need to pay more attention!

Packblower likes this.
  21. octophone

I went via Warp because they don't use courier delivery so I actually have a chance of getting my record cometh the hour! Weird that the coloured vinyl is Duophonic only but Warp have the mirrorboard sleeve with black vinyl. Anyway, I really hate Microbe Hunters but I went anyway because the vinyl is well priced, has a lossless download and there's enough I don't have.

Guy E and GordonM like this.
  22. Moth

Moth fluttering by

Looks like more of the mail order edition are up for sale on Duophonic.

GordonM likes this.
  23. GordonM

GordonM Forum Resident

Listening to it now! Is it Outer Bongolia or the whole deal? I find some of the other tracks (e.g. I Feel The Air (Of Another Planet)) affecting! That said, it took me a long time to come round to Sound-Dust but in Gus The Mynah Bird it contains a real gem and I really like the overall sound of that album now.

Monrophonic likes this.
  24. octophone

Outer Bongolia is probably the worst Stereolab track ever, it's just such a massive lapse of taste. The rest of it, I just find bland. Maybe I should try it without OB but I'll wait for this new release to drop before I do that - see if it gives me an extra treat. :D

Guy E and GordonM like this.
  25. Dreaddazzman

Dreaddazzman Forum Resident

Still shows sold out for me.