Steven Wilson. Voyage of discovery

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David B, Sep 12, 2021.

1. manco

manco Forum Resident

Stupid Dream & Lightbulb Sun give off OK Computer vibes.

2. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

It’s great when that happens, isn’t it?

ARK likes this.
  3. The Bishop

I’m listening through YouTube Music, so I’ll see what I find. Thanks for the heads up.

4. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

I couldn’t disagree more…
    The Raven is breathtaking, Hand.Cannot.Erase. is his masterpiece :p;)

Last edited: May 24, 2023
    Score17, ARK, Rufus rag and 3 others like this.
  5. The Bishop

I’ve actually jumped straight to Hand.Cannot.Erase and I’m loving it so far.

Really excellent music.

Spinone, Score17, Vanja and 5 others like this.
  6. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its like comparing a really good apple with an amazing apple.
    Its like saying which is funnier, Life of Brian or the Holy Grail.

ARK and Rufus rag like this.
  7. manco

manco Forum Resident

In his autobiography, Wilson states that he's prouder of HCE than The Raven. Mostly due to he feels HCE is more modern, while The Raven is saturated in 70s progressive rock tropes.

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, The Raven is Too Proggy for me, although it does contain possibly his Best Ballad, Drive Home, as I think SW Underrated Talent as a Songwriter is his Ballads(when you include Blank Tapes, Song of Unborn, Waiting, Lazarus, Routine, Deform to Form a Star, Postcard to name a few other ones).

Hand Cannot Erase is probably his Best Album under his Name, as much as I love To The Bone and The Future Bites, and think Grace for Drowning is really good. HCE might be a Prog-Rock Album, but it is much more than that to my ears, whereas with the Raven, it sounds like SW was too caught up listening to the Early 1970s King Crimson & Yes Albums, he was remixing. I am still exploring King Crimson, but had a hard time enjoying Yes(especially that Ocean Album, where it just sounds like the Band Members are showing off their Skills playing their Instruments).

As much, as I love Hand Cannot Erase, I am just glad SW has moved on from Prog-Rock, and I look forward to what he will deliver next musically with The Harmony Codex.

DaverJ likes this.
  9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

We need another Raven or HCE, he's veered towards blandness and uninteresting music since then. He needs to stop following trends and do what he does best!

Touch Too Much ’79 likes this.
  10. manco

manco Forum Resident

I don't view The Future Bites as bland. Also there is some great stuff on To The Bone.

Starwanderer and DaverJ like this.
  11. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

I'd certainly agree with this. I never thought much of To The Bone and the newer album The Future Bites was...how can I say something negative about it without upsetting the fanboys?

12. manco

manco Forum Resident

What do you think of King Ghost?

DaverJ likes this.
  13. Playloud

Playloud Nobody’s Hero

Well, at least we can’t complain about hearing the same old thing every time he releases something. I think he expects that some loyal fans won’t like whatever the new thing is. I’m not enthralled with everything he does, but I do appreciate the attempt. I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed with the production of any of his work. I may not care for the song, but it always sounds good. He does have an ear.

Rufus rag and ARK like this.
  14. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

SW even admits as much with the line "You keep me listening to The Bends" in Pure Narcotic.

15. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

There is indeed some great song on TTB, only played it again this morning. TFB's never grabbed me though despite repeated listens!

16. Touch Too Much ’79

Touch Too Much ’79 Iamtheworldthathidestheuniversalsecretofalltime

Nail On The Head time, IMO natch.
    To The Bone is a great album, The Future Bites just doesn’t work for me either.

Rufus rag likes this.
  17. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

While that is certainly true, that HCE is more modern sounding, I still feel the Raven has better melodies, greater complexity, more emotional impact; all my opinion of course.

I love modern sounding prog. I am in the constant search for modern prog.

But, being more modern sounding, does not supersede all other musical musical aspects.

18. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

HCE sounds awfully 70s influenced as well. I don't really mind. Both are good albums.

Simoon likes this.