Steve's Mastering Secrets, Part III

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chrswlkrc, Apr 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Was 176 the same oxide as used on 111, except on mylar base? I recall seeing in old literature, there was a tape called 102 that was the original mylar equivalent of 111.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Don't remember. All I know is that it was cheap, had no dropouts, didn't flake and was easy to edit. We got it in on big pancakes, 100 at a time. Went through that stuff like butter.

3. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

Pity they can't make that now!

4. Well, I'm glad you disagree, because (note above) I did NOT say
    it sounded natural (laugh). I thought it sounded "zingy", albeit not
    in a bad way as I DID think the "zingy" went along with the material.
    It was supposed to be hotter than jazz, right? At least the vocal doesn't
    break up like it does on a Little Richard record (thank heaven).

Crap, I got to seriously discuss Bill Haley with you,
    you think I'm disappointed you don't like it as much as I do?? (wild laughter)

5. Steve Hoffman

I love the Bill Haley stuff. When I was three years old my dad's cousin got us a "Hi-Fi" phonograph and a bunch of records to go with it. One of them was "See You Later, Alligator" by Bill Haley And His Comets. What a great sounding 45 that was. I remember it was a pink promo copy and had probably been lying around for ever. I used to play it every day for years and years, in fact I compared it to the stuff I was working on in the 1980s and it matched pretty well. Such a great instrumental break in the middle. Produced by my late buddy Milt Gabler.

I love the way the stuff sounds, it's just that the ears get tired after too much clipping. I take my Haley in smaller doses. Safer that way...

6. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I recently got a CD (at a Half Price Books, no less) of Bill Haley that you did. I love it... the sound of the horns and drums on those recordings knocks me out.

7. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, they had a "sound" at the Pythian Temple studio, that's for sure. I have some Sammy Davis, Jr. records from around that time sound exactly like he is singing with Bill Haley & His Comets ("That Old Black Magic"*). It's just the sound of that big room, etc. Neat sound, never captured again!

You can hear Sammy's DECCA recording of "That Old Black Magic" on his DCC Greatest Hits CD. When the drums kick in, instant "Rock Around The Clock" sound! Love it.

8. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Steve, I can't see that you've answered this... recently... so I'll ask this.

Any notes on Heart's Dreamboat Annie you can share? Anything special you had to deal with that you can talk about - transfer-wise, that is? Was this something that was worked on only through Capitol, or did you also have any discussions with the Wilson sisters about it - or did they even care by then? Was there really still an issue with Mushroom that they couldn't be credited anywhere on the DCC despite the fact that they were bankrupt by then (although, Mushroom Studios was still around until only a couple years ago)?

Do you know where the master tape came from? Did Capitol have it, or was it still at Mushroom Studios (known as Can-Base, when DA was recorded)?

Just curious as this is one of my favorite albums by a favorite band of mine. I'll be happy with whatever you want to (or can) tell me about it.

Thanks.

9. Steve Hoffman

Dreamboat Fannie?

Yeah, did that at Capitol, I think. The tape box was beat to heck, that I remember. Had like five tape legends on it all taped over each other.

Pretty much flat transfer but we helped the bass "bloom" a bit. I used the pic disk as my vinyl reference; it sounded so much better tone wise than the original LP.

Still love that album. We licensed from EMI I guess, can't remember.

10. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Oh, yes.

I imagine it was used a few times with all the pressings done through the years up the Nautilus pressing. I've got two original Mushrooms and both are different cuttings. I'm not even counting the (at least) 3 CD versions, which includes yours.

Really? I guess I'll have to unseal my picture disc and check it out.

Thanks for the info.

11. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Steve, in principle, is mono any harder to master than stereo (or vice-versa) or is there no difference? Or am I asking you for a ridiculous generalisation?

I seem to be more aware of bad mono masterings than stereo, but that may say more about the music I listen to or about the problems I'm attuned to.

12. Steve Hoffman

No difference whatsoever in the digital world. Music is music.

Mono in VINYL mastering is easier because of purly mechanical reasons. I treat the actual sound the same though..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.