Stoner thread, essential albums of a Stoner/Psychedelic rock/metal collection.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Destrolyer, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stef1205

stef1205 Forum Resident

Good list, really, but in my book Can, Amon Duul, MBV and Sonic Youth don't qualify as Stoner Rock.

2. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I and a number of my associates have certainly done more than- our fair share of smoking up to these bands' music, which qualifies them as such for me.

gsmile and joeyhays like this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Agreed as Can and Amon Duul II are unquestionably (in my book) of the psychedelic/stoner variety. Great stuff. I can see SY and MBV, too, as their stuff gets fairly involved and swirling at times.

Judge Judy likes this.
  4. FUZZBUTT34

FUZZBUTT34 Forum Resident

All of Fu Manchu
    Wo Fat
    Sasquatch
    Sons Of Otis

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Why people mention Fu Manchu so much is beyond me. They're part of the 'desert scene', I get that, but their music has always struck me as more post-grunge/skateboard than stoner rock. Not a lot of psychedelia in what they do, in other words. Heavy though? Hell, yes!

6. FUZZBUTT34

FUZZBUTT34 Forum Resident

Sorry misunderstood question

Fu Manchu
    [​IMG]
    Fu Manchu vocalist/guitarist Scott Hill performing live with the band
    Background information
    Also known asVirulence
    OriginOrange County, California,USA
    GenresStoner rock, hard rock
    Years active1987–present
    LabelsDRT Entertainment
    Liquor and Poker Music
    Mammoth Records
    Bong Load Custom Records
    Man's Ruin Records
    Slap-a-Ham Records
    Associated actsNebula
    Beefsore
    WebsiteOfficial Site
    MembersScott Hill
    Brad Davis
    Bob Balch
    Scott Reeder
    Past membersRuben Romano
    Ken Pucci
    Mark Abshire
    Greg McCaughey
    Glenn Chivens
    Scott Votaw
    Eddie Glass
    Brant Bjork

7. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Love that Bogeyman album. Had to track it down as soon as it came out - was so disappointed the band split after the debut. I don't do vinyl anymore but have the original CD's from back in the day - so not the later version that had a muddled up track listing.

Never really got Sunrise On The Sufferbus - I should revisit it more. Great tracks on all the later albums though, but nothing had hit the highs of the debut for me.

a 2nd Bogeyman album is in the can and never released apparently!

And lovers of Burning Tree here? Marc Ford's first album before heading off to join the Black Crowes

whatprogress likes this.
  8. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

Jeez, I haven't heard of most of these bands. I thought I was a stoner, I guess not.

9. todd141

todd141 Forum Resident

The best stoner album I have heard lately is Samsara Blues Experiment - Long Distance Trip. (Great band, I love everything they've done.)

[​IMG]

zphage, Nielsoe, SwollenGoat and 2 others like this.
  10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Behold and See - Ultimate Spinach
    Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
    On the Beach - Neil Young

11. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Electric Mud by Muddy Waters though it would probably be better as the group minus him rather than appended to his legacy. Includes a pre-Miles Pete Cosey among others. Same band cut a similar lp with Howlin Wolf too.

12. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Look, it's rock or metal of the stoner or psychedelic variety. Or stoner rock, if you will. As in a specific genre. As in not Brian Eno.
    I dunno, their In Search Of album is pretty psychedelic in places - listen to say the middle section of Strato-Streak or the verses of Neptune's Convoy. I put that influence down to Ruben and Eddie who left afterwards to form Nebula (which you probably already know!). But yeah, other than that album they're pretty much straight up riffage but with Scott Hill's slacker vocals they fit in easily to the whole Stoner Rock scene.

GodShifter likes this.
  13. ron325

ron325 Forum Resident

The Wiki definition of "stonerrock" is pretty close to how I see it:

Stoner rock or stoner metal[1] is a musical subgenre which combines elements of traditional heavy metal,[2][3]psychedelic rock, blues rock, acid rock, and doom metal. Stoner rock is typically slow-to-mid tempo and features a bass-heavy sound,[4] melodic vocals, and "retro" production.[5] The genre emerged during the early 1990s and was pioneered foremost by the Californian bands Kyuss[6] andSleep.[7]

I associate the genre with the [now defunct] website, stonerrock.com. In my estimation, the majority of people who liked this genre were not actually stoners. More likely, drinkers.
    Although I would say (for example) Pink Floyd albums are good to listen to while stoned, I would definitely not lump them in the stonerrock genre. I might be in the minority, though. Wouldn't be first time.

14. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I agree. Whenever a Stoner Rock (genre) thread is posted a definition of what it is should be included. I certainly don't blame people for listing bands like Floyd, Grateful Dead, etc...because of the genre name though.

15. ifihadafish

ifihadafish Forum Resident

Watched this last night - riveting viewing and other than Black Sabbath in the 70's, maybe the only other true Stoner Band of the era (depends on your definition of the genre of course)

16. joeyhays

joeyhays Member

Saw Dead Meadow last night in Brooklyn. They were great.

elvisizer likes this.
  17. moops

moops Senior Member

Eternal Elysium - Spiritualized D

Spiritualized+D+R16601681248861587.jpg

GodShifter and danielbravo like this.
  18. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

That's what i pointED out.
    People were (maybe still are) posting 'that's not metal', 'that's not psych', & so on...
    Ha, ha!!
    Wasn't 'saying' Brain Eno was the one & only answer too the Thread Title/OP; merely pointED out this thread was 'on fire, better throw it in the water'.
    You really thought by posting "this thread's posts theme song", i was 'talking' bout the thread title & not the posts?

19. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

The best thing about this thread is that once everyone's clear on what the definition of stoner rock is, they can join stoner rock discussion boards where everyone argues constantly about what stoner rock is.

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ha, so true! Doom metal was always a heated topic as well.

Judge Judy likes this.
  21. joeyhays

joeyhays Member

Can we all stop arguing about what is and isn't stoner rock, and just get stoned already?

22. Ma Kelly

Ma Kelly Senior Member

Tbh I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

23. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Uhhhh really?

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

What do you think "Got To Get You Into My Life" is about?! :)

25. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

Saint Vitus, especially with their first singer Scott Reagers:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.