Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

Yes. It’s a problem. Needledrops are a bit better.

HitAndRun, BeSteVenn and jcr64 like this.
  2. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

"Reckless" has great energy, a sense of urgency and a bit of restrained anger. Good singing by Liam and again the song is focused, with no unnecessary parts or weird sound effects just for the sake of it. It fits well on the album and works both as the song following "Little Words" and as a stand-alone song.
    4/5

3. drewrclv9

drewrclv9 Forum Resident

I’ve always enjoyed “Reckless” quite a bit. It kind of sounds like the type of song Betchadupa would be making if they stayed together. Really nice little poppy number.

4.1/5

4. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Little Words - 4/5
    Reckless - 4.5/5

5. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Reckless"

1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-5
    5-2
    Average: 3.7091

6. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Chase the Seasons", written by Liam Finn; produced by Burke Reid and LIam Finn; recorded and mixed by Burke Reid.

Liam Finn: all vocals and instruments except:

Jeremy Toy: bass
    Elroy Finn: percussion

I've been
    Chasing the seasons in a car,
    My best friend
    Wheel denial, it's hard (?)

If I get sucked into madness
    Spend so much time in my head
    I'm Stuck on the things that you did
    In a matter of Minutes we'll be waking up

Desperate
    To redefine logic of mine(?)
    Restless,
    I've got to get out of this funk

If I get sucked into madness
    Recreate lines in my head
    I'm stuck on the things that you said
    in a matter of Minutes we'll be making love

It's madness to recreate lines in my head
    I'm stuck on the things that you said
    In a matter of minutes we'll be making love
    Spend so much time in my head
    I'm stuck on the things that you said,
    in a matter of minutes we'll be making love

jcr64, KangaMom, dongelen and 2 others like this.
  7. Lance LaSalle

I love this song, which is that "stately rock" type song that he every so occasionally pulls out. I enjoy the guitar a lot and the general sound of the track, which is kind of shambolic -- which I like -- but holds together.

Really nice melody and I like his singing.

Only quibble is the slight haziness of the lyric, but I see the lyric as about Liam being sort of withdrawn instead of engaging with a lover and realizing that he wants to engage..

4.7/5

8. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Chase the Seasons

Unfortunately I'm now getting diminishing returns from this album. This song is OK, but melodically it meanders with no real payoff. The arrangement is rather unexceptional, and Liam sings it ... OK but nothing special.

3/5

dthomas850, drewrclv9, jcr64 and 5 others like this.
  9. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

"Chase the Seasons" is a really good track, surprisingly conventional by Liam's standards but of high quality. I like the contrast between the rather dark lyrics and the summer breeze feel and flow of the music. To my ears the song has a Beach Boys-ish sound to it that is nice and Liam sings it really well. Good lyrics too, I can really hear how frustrated the narrator is about feeling stuck and not connecting the way he wishes with the "you" person. When I hear this song I can easily imagine how it would have sounded if it had been done by Betchadupa (noisier and with fuzzy electric guitars instead of acoustic ones and more unfocused). One thing that really strikes me with this album overall is how Liam has become so much better to rein himself in creatively, the songs are more focused and well-edited and all the better for it.
    4/5

dthomas850, drewrclv9, jcr64 and 6 others like this.
  10. Lance LaSalle

Yes. Exactly. It’s really focused and all his arty idiosyncrasies are subdued. It’s probably the album that is least likely to be called “self-indulgent.”

HitAndRun, jcr64, KangaMom and 3 others like this.
  11. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Chase the Seasons

2.5/5

HitAndRun, drewrclv9, jcr64 and 4 others like this.
  12. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I find Chase The Seasons to be a little bit of a mess. So far on FOMO Liam has managed to sound to my ears like a band playing together in the studio, and now when he has a bass player, they seem to have failed to lock in together. It could be the mix, but the drums are way too loud for my taste, and the interesting guitar parts are buried. Once again, I enjoy the vocals, even if I find the lyrics a bit of a mystery, it's a mystery that I'm not too concerned about solving.

A misfire for me, but not too far off the mark, and I like it overall.

3.5/5

JCo, dthomas850, HitAndRun and 7 others like this.
  13. dongelen

dongelen Forum Resident

The guitar solo is really nice on Chase the Seasons one. Liam once described it as a solo where each note is almost to late. He does it again on Snug as fug
    4/5

14. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Chase the Seasons - I find this song a little surprising. As others have noted, I can easily imagine what this song might have sounded like earlier in Liam's career. While I like this song I do feel like there is something missing. Maybe it's the lo fi sound that's distracting me because I feel like the song is good but it feels a little meandering even though it has that nice guitar solo.

3.5/5

15. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

"Chasing the Seasons" is a decent song, but something about it seems a bit off. The balance of the instrumental and vocal parts doesn't seem quite right. And I don't really care for the guitar solo (though so far I'm alone in this).

I don't mind it, but I don't see myself ever seeking it out.

3/5

16. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I like this one a fair bit, never skip it, yadda yadda - but I don't like it *quite* as much as many of the other tracks on the album.

3.8/5

17. drewrclv9

drewrclv9 Forum Resident

I absolutely love “Chase the Seasons.” Beautiful shimmery keyboard sounds in the verses, and perfect vocal layering. Both guitars are fantastic throughout the song as well. I think this is my favorite Liam song when it comes to instrumentation. Simply wonderful.

5/5

18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Chase The Seasons" is my favorite song on FOMO. It has a gorgeous, sweeping melody and beautiful vocals. The only thing I don't much like is the rather dissonant guitar solo, which takes me out of the dreamy, gauzy mind state of the rest of the song. The ending also seems rather sudden.

Still, with respect to Liam's solo output, I rate this one pretty highly.

3.9/5

drewrclv9, StefanWq, KangaMom and 4 others like this.
  19. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Most people seem to like this song a lot more than me. I'm going to give it another listen.

Hmmm... still meanders a bit too much for me to not enough effect. I'm not inclined to change my vote.

StefanWq, KangaMom and Lance LaSalle like this.
  20. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

Chase The Seasons - Another top track on the album. Love it. 5/5

21. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for "Chase the Seasons"
    1-0
    2-0
    3-4
    4-6
    5-3
    Average: 3.7615

22. Lance LaSalle

Today's song is "Jump Your Bones", written by Liam Finn and produced by Burke Reid; "pre-production" by Jeremy Toy and James Duncan. Recorded and mixed by Burke Reid.

Liam Finn: all vocals and instruments except:
    Glenn Kotche: contact mic drums

Looks like you lost the words
    Tongue-tied in jubilation
    We'll lose the secrecy
    I swear I had nothing else on me
    Well-stuffed(?) if you're mad enough
    WE call the hectic masters(?)
    Walking out I found the breeze
    That swept my baby off her feet
    For your delight, it's hard to hide
    The world, fell in my knees,
    You see, I want to jump your bones

In the morning it's launch-time
    And I wake amongst the light
    These armies are my demon side
    ON my knees, pulling tongues on my eulogy
    I saw you like a mother
    When you told me you live inside my consciousness
    I reached out and scratched inside
    Your thigh, your mind, yeah you cry on the pillow
    Stretching out, there's something on the arching of the bakc
    The back, the back, the back, the back
    I want to jump your bones,

Stay there, stay there
    Stretching out
    There's something 'bout the arching of the back
    The back, the back, the back, the back...
    I want to jump your bones

KangaMom, jcr64, dongelen and 2 others like this.
  23. Lance LaSalle

Pros: good drumming, cool discordant electro-punk backing track.

Cons: melody that only barely makes it for me lyrics that don't really touch me on any level other than midly intellectual one (in the sense that it's a song about desire, like many of the songs on the album.)

I suppose it's a good enough song to end a fine album on, but it's definitely by far the weakest track for me; and musically Liam probably felt it's blending of noise, electronica and rock was something really fresh and new direction for him. But ultimately it just doesn't excite me and until I attempted to transcribe the lyrics above I have never been albe to pay attention to the song. I like the video more than I like the song and you know how much I love videos. Instrumentals are not popular on this forum in general, I've noticed (like humor!) I like them though -- Dionysian expression, as Nietsche would say, and I think I'd have prefered the instrumental track, abstract and nearly melody-free (though there's some interesting synths in there) to the song with vocals and a pretty weak melody.

2.5/5

** sometimes you just have to reference Nietsche's Birth Of Tragedy to show how smart you are.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
    drewrclv9, KangaMom, jimbutsu and 5 others like this.
  24. Lance LaSalle

Tomorrow I'll hold up FOMO as an album along with the one bonus track if anybody should want to talk about it* and the live songs from the bonus CD.

So on Saturday I'll start holding up songs from The View Is Worth the Climb (Tim Finn's eleventh solo album counting soundtracks). I have a big test I have to take on Saturday morning at a university about 100 kms away so I may post later than usual on Saturday.

*it is the very definition of a Liam Finn bonus track, it almost doesn't need to be discussed and I'm not giving it a separate day.

KangaMom, jcr64, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

Here's a live-in-studio version with Liam, EJ and Elroy.

KangaMom, jcr64, BeSteVenn and 2 others like this.