Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lance LaSalle, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ToneM

ToneM Forum Resident

Deeper Down

There's nothing wrong with an atypically upbeat closer, but I'd agree it needs to be less anti-climatic and more definitive than this. Neil getting a bit blue-eyed soul isn't something I generally embrace, and this lightweight number is no exception. An unmemorable tune couple with some deeply silly lyrics (stinky whales? stolen clothes?) ensures the album peters out with a mere shrug. Pure B side material, if bands still released B sides.

2.5/5

jcr64, therunner, drewrclv9 and 7 others like this.
  2. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Funny you should mention that. It's the one thing about this track that really bugs me. Originally, I couldn't decide if it was an intentional treatment or the result of a very low-bitrate recording flown across the world. I'm pretty sure it isn't the latter now I've had a chance to give it a real listen. But it really detracts from the song because I find it so distracting.

As for the song itself, its just another pleasant mid tempo piece. 3/5

jcr64, drewrclv9, KangaMom and 6 others like this.
  3. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus Thread Starter

I think the global supply problem is about raw materials, not necessarily a lack of vinyl factories. Every industry in the world has been affected by this, not just the record industry. Biggest problem is there is a shortage of plastic because plastic is a byproduct of jet fuel, in the last few years a lot fewer people have been flying on jets: the end result is that there is not enough plastic. There is also a general shortage of superconductors, rare earth and so on and so on.

NorthNY Mark, jcr64, KangaMom and 5 others like this.
  4. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

Deeper Down

I see that people's opinion of this song are a bit mixed, but from the first time I played the entire album this is my favourite song on it. Like 'Whatever You Want' it doesn't sound much like past CH, but now I listen to the arrangement parts of it sound like an updated and faster tempo 'Better Be Home Soon'. Mostly what I like about this is the vocal melody, which doesn't sound 'Neil' to me. But, it does sound interesting and catchy while being a bit original.

I like the simply guitar accompaniment. I'm not sure the piano is improved by what sounds to me to be an effect on it, but it's not overwhelming as isn't all that noticeable until the end. I think they were going for 'underwater piano'. Maybe :D

Neil's voice sounds a bit thin on this, but then somehow this fits on the song. The backing vocals are simple, but support Neil well.

To me, this would fit on Lightsleeper more than any CH album I can think of. Or maybe as a Pajama Club.

I think it's a very good way to end the album. And, we can look forward to what comes next.

4.6/5

Are we now up to date with Neil's music. Or, is there something else coming up that I should remember because we were discussing it a few pages back.

Jaffaman, jcr64, therunner and 9 others like this.
  5. vikinghomepage

vikinghomepage Forum Resident

This is my favorite track on the album too. On paper it's kinda slight and inconsequential but it works, it has a nice relaxed delivery, a lovely soulful groove carried mainly, I think, by the strumming acoustic and shuffling percussion. The chorus makes me giddy when it kicks in, makes me want to do some bad dancing. The middle 8 bit could be lifted from Woodface and the harmonies on the line "my desire is to open up" are classic Finn. I do wish had a different ending and made more of a feature of an outro as they're good at that kind of thing, even just an instrumental fade out but whatever, I love it.

jcr64, brownie61, HitAndRun and 6 others like this.
  6. Anne_G

Anne_G Forum Resident

Deeper Down: not feelin’ it. .5/5

jcr64, brownie61, BeSteVenn and 5 others like this.
  7. KangaMom

KangaMom Queen of the Quokkas

Deeper Down - I like the shuffle-y beat, the (underwater) piano, and just the general feel of this song. Like @Jaffaman and @drewrclv9 I actually think this is the perfect closer for this album. I can't explain why, but it's almost like it's finishing on an optimistic note with the idea that there's still more in the tank for Crowded House.

I think I get what @Lance LaSalle was saying about it reminding him of "Anytime". There's something about the rhythm of the song that recalls that for me as well. (Anytime is one of my favorites). In any case, I find myself tapping along in time to this song. Maybe I just like shuffle-y type songs with piano...(that might be true it's come up a lot lately).

4/5

Jaffaman, jcr64, therunner and 7 others like this.
  8. Lance LaSalle

We are up to date. There is a 2O19 song that he produced and played on that I’ll link to tomorrow but he didn’t write or sing lead on it and I won’t be counting any ratings or anything.

9. KangaMom

Harper then FinnManz, right? Then we are fully up to date unless Liam releases something else...

StefanWq and HitAndRun like this.
  10. Lance LaSalle

Yes.

StefanWq, KangaMom and HitAndRun like this.
  11. HitAndRun

HitAndRun Forum Resident

When do we do Forenzics? Do we wait for the full album release, or cover the songs that are already out?

StefanWq and KangaMom like this.
  12. Lance LaSalle

I am going to wait for the whole album. Those songs are fine and I think it will be worth the wait.

So not until 2022, (which is probably when any release by Liam is going to come out too. Unless it’s digital only, self-released.)

Ryan Lux, StefanWq, KangaMom and 2 others like this.
  13. Paul H

Paul H The fool on the hill

Wow. The end of Neil Finn's catalogue. Years go by and now it's time for a change. It really is the Enz of an era.

jcr64, jimbutsu, Anne_G and 9 others like this.
  14. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

I like Deeper Down and how it reminds us of earlier songs without directly quoting any of them.

I love the piano at the end of the song, I've always been a sucker for this type of focused noodling, like at the end of Magical Mystery Tour or The Long and Winding Road from the Glyn Johns mix of the Get Back album. I wouldn't have thought that it would be a good closer for Dreamers Are Waiting, but that piano bit makes it work.

I rate this a little higher than I expected I would because it is a very well-done song, and you can't argue with the song's theme.

4.7/5

Jaffaman, jcr64, Anne_G and 9 others like this.
  15. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

I enjoyed "Deeper Down" more today just playing it as a stand alone song rather than when I hear it as the closing track of the album, probably because by the end of the album I have had enough of pleasantly inoffensive, nothing special but nothing wrong with it, songs - and this is yet another one.

3/5

HitAndRun, drewrclv9, jcr64 and 9 others like this.
  16. StefanWq

StefanWq Forum Resident

"Deeper Down" is a good album closer, ending it with an upbeat song. There's a nice soul pop shuffle feel to it and the piano parts give it some character. As a stand-alone song it comes across as a bit of lightweight fluff though.
    3/5

17. Michael Rofkar

Michael Rofkar Forum Resident

"Deeper Down" is nice and inoffensive, but again, it doesn't blow my kilt up. 3/5

HitAndRun, ToneM, drewrclv9 and 5 others like this.
  18. UrAWizHar

UrAWizHar Forum Resident

Deeper Down 3/5

It's fine. An underwhelming closer to a very underwhelming album, but it's not as bad as some of the other ones at least.

19. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

One of the better songs on the album, for what that is ultimately worth. Have a very 70's pop vibe to it like an earlier track or two to my ear.

3.8/5

HitAndRun, ToneM, drewrclv9 and 5 others like this.
  20. KangaMom

I thought Phil wasn't going to be involved with the Forenzics...but based on that article, he played on 10 tracks!

HitAndRun, StefanWq and BeSteVenn like this.
  21. jimbutsu

jimbutsu WATCH YÖUR STEPPE

I think that's Phil Manzanera...

KangaMom, HitAndRun and StefanWq like this.
  22. KangaMom

D'oh, now I feel stupid...:)

HitAndRun likes this.
  23. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

"Deeper Down" suffers under the weight of the lofty expectations created by its finale predecessors. From TOLM through Intriguer, the album closers included three all-time classics ("Better Be Home Soon," "Together Alone," and "People Are Like Suns") and two that were close ("How Will You Go"--I refuse to acknowledge the execrable "I'm Still Here"--and "Elephants"). That's a lot to live up to, and Neil doesn't even try. Instead, we get a song that shuffles along amiably, with a breezy feel. It seems a bit better constructed than many of the songs on Dreamers Are Waiting, and it brings the album to a pleasant close, but it still really isn't more than fluff.

3.5/5

24. Lance LaSalle

Our votes for 'Deeper Down"

1-1
    2-0
    3-7
    4-6
    5-2
    Average: 3.3344

BeSteVenn, jcr64, KangaMom and 2 others like this.
  25. Lance LaSalle

Today, Dreamers Are Waiting.

BeSteVenn, KangaMom, Ryan Lux and 2 others like this.