"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And another teaser for Season 3 of Stranger Things dropped today...

The titles were also leaked to Wikipedia, but no air dates as yet. The first season was in July 2016, the second in October 2017, so your guess is as good as mine. They better hurry, because those kids are growin' up fast...

2. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident

I’ve heard March 2019 :cool:

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That would make sense. They did say some time ago that they wouldn't make it to October 2018 because they needed six more months of post-production for VFX. March/April is certainly within that period.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Seems suited to be a summer series.

5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

A major setting of the new season is the Starcourt Mall... and the last episode is going to be called “Battle of the Starcourt.”

MikeInFla and Parachute Woman like this.
  6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Netflix just announced tonight that the debut of Season 3 of Stranger Things will be July 4th, 2019:

[​IMG]

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And this...

Interestingly, they are just now starting to work on the video mastering and mixing of Stranger Things season 3, which I expect will be completely done by April. I dunno why they're waiting so long, unless there's more time needed for VFX.

MikeInFla and Bowie Fett like this.
  8. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Can't wait! But you would think by 1985 Will would have outgrown that little boy "bowl" haircut. I know I did by 1985!

trumpet sounds likes this.
  9. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Interesting trialer. "When blue and yellow meet in the west", "LYNX Corp" and "SilverCatFeeds".

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Hair styles, clothing, cars, magazines, newspapers, electronics... there's a lot of things that are tough to duplicate and get right in period pieces. Maybe it's covered in dialogue. It is (as we say) a "creative choice."

BTW, setting the show in summer is a change. I'm reminded of Dan Simmons' brilliant 1991 novel Summer of Night, about a group of adolescent children back in 1960 who unite to confront and kill a terrible demon who murdered one of them over a summer in the midwest. That's one of the scariest damned books I've ever read, very much like a Stephen King novel, with elements of It and a whole bunch of other stuff. They got all the elements just right, but it was a novel, not a book. I've often wondered what that would be like as a movie or TV series. Stranger Things is more sci-fi than horror, but there's some overlap there.

mdm08033 and MikeInFla like this.
  11. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Can't wait! April brings Game of Thrones and Avengers and July for Stranger Things. These are the things I've been waiting for since 2017. 2018 was always the year I had to get through to get to the good stuff in 2019. ;)

MikeInFla likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Like I said, summer series.

13. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Loved season 1. Just started 2 and find it hard to get into. I guess the novelty has worn off. 3 episodes in and I am bored. I think that's a problem with a lot of shows they can't keep the novel ideas up that long before things get stale. And why I really do like mini series and 1 season shows a lot.

14. Parachute Woman

I prefer season 2 to season 1, though I love both. But I watch for the characters, not the plot, and I thought the character development in season 2 was absolutely excellent. I was especially a huge fan of what they did with Steve and the Hopper/Eleven dynamic. The final two episodes of the season (The Mind Flayer and The Gate) are my two favorite episodes of the series so far.

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Agreed. Season 2 was basically a retread of S1, with a godawful ep 7 that came out of nowhere and belongs there! I hope they have some new ideas for S3 and that Winona Ryder's house doesn't again get plastered with weird wall decorations...

I really loved S1, but not so much S2 (though there were some nice character moments between Dustin & Steve).

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

Season 1 was great. Season 2 was good. Hoping the best for Season 3.

17. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I didn't. :cry:
    Spiked hair for me didn't happen until 1986.

MikeInFla likes this.
  18. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

It's crazy they don't try and film these seasons quicker. These kids are going to be too grown up very soon. Unless they think they will be done this season or next. I've enjoyed both seasons very much.

19. Parachute Woman

They are filming basically one season per year, which means the kids are aging one year each season. That fits the show. I've read that the initial plan was to do four seasons, which I think is still the general goal.

bartels76 likes this.
  20. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree. there just wasn't anything there in season 2. i watched it for paul reiser.

Juan Matus likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

[KEVINARNOLD]And I learned something that Summer...[/KEVINARNOLD] :p

22. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I actually heard somewhere that season 3 and 4 will be one story spread over 2 seasons. Not sure if that's official though??

23. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

This week I finally got around to watching Stranger Things, binging it over a four day period. It was very entertaining, and the kids who played the lead characters did an excellent job. The episode that centered on a side trip to Chicago seemed somewhat out of place, but otherwise the show was great. I can't wait until season 3 this July.

24. Parachute Woman

ATTENTION: FULL TRAILER RELEASE:

I am absolutely pumped. I think it looks bloody fantastic. As much as I love and adore Game of Thrones, Stranger Things is probably actually my favorite show currently on. I always get July 4 off from work, so I am going to binge the entire season that day.

2019 is finally here and the goods of GOT final season, Stranger Things 3, Avengers: Endgame, Episode IX and It: Chapter 2. This year is jam-packed full of media I cannot wait to see.

25. Parachute Woman

I've watched it several times now (because I'm a loon). Here are a few takeaways:

- I'm glad to see the gang fully integrated with all six of the main kids hanging out. Funnily enough, Will and Eleven never met during the first two seasons (El just saw him unconscious). I'm thrilled that it looks like Max and Eleven are going to be friends. We need more strong female friendships on television.
    - Looks like Hopper is going on a date. I'm in the camp that wants him to get together with Joyce eventually.
    - There is a brief shot of Billy in the shower with some weird thing going on under the skin of his arm. He's definitely getting pulled into the supernatural storyline this year, which we did know. This was supposed to happen last season but there wasn't time.
    - Brief shot of Karen (Mike's mom) flirting with Billy at the pool, so they are going back to that.
    - Brief shot of Murray (the conspiracy theorist who helped Nancy/Jonathan last year), so he's back
    - Brief kiss shot of Eleven and Mike
    - I fear for Jonathan, facing down the monster at the end there. This seems like the year they might actually kill of a main character for real and I've seen people say Jonathan seems the most expendable (I disagree not only because I like Jonathan a lot, but because it would destroy Joyce and she's been through enough).

We can expect themes of the gang growing up and growing apart this year, for sure. All the sets, costumes and special effects look fantastic.