"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

And it would tie in with Hopper saying "I'll see you in hell!" to the Russian Terminator dude later in that fight. That's what Han Solo says to the deck officer when he's leaving the base on Hoth to go look for Luke.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The "there are rules for policeman" line lifted straight out of Die Hard really knocked me out of the show for a moment. Do they do this on purpose?

dkmonroe likes this.
  3. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Without a doubt.

dkmonroe likes this.
  4. Finished season 3 Sunday night. Loved it, loved all 3 seasons. It's fun and sometimes that's all I want or need in a series.

Hexwood, mace, Butterfly Blue and 4 others like this.
  5. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

On Season 3 now 4 Episodes in..still loving it!

6. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Idano ... it was a bit weak in the first few episodes (too teen rom com) but improved by the end.

Too many useless characters would be my main issue. And turning Hopper into an arsehole. And no one calling for backup. And the hair. Especially on Will and Mike. No child in 1985 would still have those bowl cuts.

--Geoff

7. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

Ramones fans

8. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

How many times did they use the "just when x is about to meet their doom, y swoops in at the last second to take-out the threat?"

It's a good trope if used sparingly, but I honestly lost count of the 'perfectly timed saves' this season...

utopiarun and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Er, I did. Sad but true.

crispi and Pastafarian like this.
  10. Nerds would. And they did.

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Have been avoiding this thread so far until I finish. It's a slow process. On episode 3 now. I am avoiding spoilers so I'll stay out of the thread until I am done.

Not really a spoiler but an observation:
    This is the age where friends seem to drift apart. I am sensing this with the first 3 episodes. I can relate to Will. Someone who doesn't want change and longing to just hang out with friends. I was a somewhat shy kid, at least around girls at that age. I didn't dislike them by any means just awkward around them at an awkward age. So far I like it a lot. The innocence of childhood is disappearing and I like how they are writing this into the show as they grow older. Even Steve isn't as cool as he used to be now that he is out of school. I remember several "Steves" from my high school that did nothing after school and they became an afterthought to everyone.

I'll check back in after I finish but right now I am watching 1 episode a day.

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Exactly. I don't even compare it to previous seasons. It was a helluva fun ride, warts and all. Great summer entertainment. I hope there's a S4.

drum_cas and MikeInFla like this.
  13. You should see my 6th and 7th grade class photos then.
    A good mix of bowl cut, Jheri curl and feathered hair on boys.

dkmonroe likes this.
  14. Jaco944

Jaco944 Forum Resident

Exactly, no shortage of bowls and sweet feathered mullets. For some reason a lot of us started getting flat tops in ‘85-‘86.

15. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

The way I've heard it described on another board..

"Season 1 had the most 'classic moments'
    Season 2 had the most character development
    Season 3 had the most fun."

and I kinda agree with that. Wonder what S4 will bring?

16. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

More sex

17. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Could be.. if they jump from 1985 to 1987, they can put in a lot of references to "Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise"! :D

MikeInFla and Pastafarian like this.
  18. MikeInFla

Finally finished and loved season 3! Hoping for a season 4 but if there isn't then this was a good way to end. When the last episode ended I saw there was about 6 minutes left. So I decided to keep watching and glad I did! So if you stopped when the credits started to roll go back and watch the last 6 minutes.

The "American" has GOT to be Hopper! In 80's fashion he survived the explosion.

This season was a lot of fun. I felt elements from John Carpenter's "Prince Of Darkness" and the hospital scenese reminded me of Halloween II.

Yes, Lucas's sister was very annoying.

Enjoyed the bro-mance with Steve and Dylan. As others have said, Robin was the standout in this season.

I just KNEW Suzie was real. I had my own Suzie at the age who happened to have the same name and went to a different school. People would say she wasn't real. Also loved BTTF! Brought back some memories! I think I knew deep down Billy was OK and just a jerk by circumstance. In season 2 he has a confrontation with his dad that made me feel like he wasn't really the bad ass that he wanted everyone to think he was.

not really spoilers but don't wanna mess it up for anyone who hasn't seen it yet.

dkmonroe likes this.
  19. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I just finished the last episode of season 3 last night. I thought this season started off strong but the last 2-3 episodes kind of devolved into constant mess of noisy chases/rescues etc eventually making this my least favorite season. Hopper 's constant yelling of every line really grated on me by the last few eps.

Tim S, jbmcb and dkmonroe like this.
  20. MikeInFla

I liked it just as much as any season. But I guess I am a fanboy. I can't get enough of this show!

21. MikeInFla

So for fun I wanted to see what happened when I called Murray Bauman's phone number.... Try it!

It's possible to call his phone number (618-625-8313).

GentleSenator likes this.
  22. mx20

mx20 Enthusiast

Just finished Season 3. Enjoyed it much more than (what I remember of) the forgettable Season 2, but I'm still a bit disappointed overall in where the stories & general tone have been heading since the (mostly wonderful) first season.

Season 3 was really a lot of fun in the middle episodes. Assuming they make a Season 4, I hope they skip a summer to let the kids mature a bit & get their drivers' licenses!

MikeInFla likes this.
  23. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

S3 ended up getting sidelined because the rest of my household preferred Love Island, so it took me three weeks to get through something I’d normally have ploughed through in three days.

On the whole, I liked it, but there was something missing. In particular, very few of the 80s throwback references felt natural and the Hopper/Joyce dialogue felt like it belonged to a different film. It was still far better than the second series of my initial Stranger Things substitute, The OA, but it’s been comprehensively eclipsed by Dark.

24. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I just got on board and watched seasons 1-3 this year. I’d say almost more than anything, Stephen King’s IT (part I). The misfit kids with the 1 black kid and the 1 red head girl, the bikes, the SLING SHOT,..

Bender Rodriguez and Vidiot like this.
  25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, good catch -- several Steven King stories have featured kids like this. Not known as widely is a fantastic horror novel called Summer of Night by Dan Simmons, which features a group of a half-dozen kids in 1962 trying to avenge one of them killed by a demon at a school. That's a really, really fine novel -- King is quoted on the back cover as saying "I am in awe of Dan Simmons" -- but it has yet to be made into a movie or TV series.

Tim S and Yankeefan01 like this.