"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I remember taking these pics and they ended up on many MBB fan sites. I remember her handler said "NO PHOTOS ALLOWED." But then Millie came up to us and said "Come on, outside. Let's take some pics." So we did! She was really nice.

3. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

If I could pick only one word to describe MMB, it would be authenticity. I only watched Stranger Things last year, when I put Netflix on my phone.

Since then, I have seen a few YouTube clips if Millie with her brother and younger sister making videos on Instagram.

I think this is hysterical. In the past, a publicist would never allow something like this to happen. Millie has a way of connecting with her fans that is really something special.

She will read comments from her fans, while putting on her makeup. She isn't bothered by being imperfect. She just does what she wants to do.

Here, you were able to capture Millie and your daughter. If you were not there with your camera (smartphone), these photos would have never been taken.

MikaelaArsenault and MikeInFla like this.
  4. SandAndGlass

Eggo anyone?

‘Stranger Things’ has tripled Eggo waffles sales in this Georgia grocery store

[​IMG]

A box of Eggo Homestyle Waffles used as a prop in “Stranger Things” sits atop a refrigerator in a Piggly Wiggly grocery store in Palmetto, Ga., where scenes from the Netflix show were filmed.

(Andrea Smith / Associated Press)
    BY ASSOCIATED PRESS
    AUG. 21, 2019 2:37 PM PT

5. MikaelaArsenault

6. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Did they show it upside-down...? :D

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The last episode is going to be two and a half hours long :eek:

8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

More interesting Stranger Things developments: here's a very thoughtful analysis of the show and how maybe the irregular schedule and inconsistent runtimes will annoy viewers:

The Stranger Things’ Season 4 Format Is Bad Television

Note that the reported budget of the show is a whopping $30 million dollars per episode, which I think makes it the most expensive series in TV history.

'Stranger Things' Season 4 Cost An Eye-Watering $41.5 Million Per Episode

[Note that the article is from Australia, so that's A$41M = $30M U.S. dollars.]

10. SandAndGlass

I guess it has been three years since season three. I don't think there has ever been a gap on a regular season show like this before.

That is a lot of time when you have kids involved. A streaming format takes the rigid idea of strutted 60's era TV out of the picture.

How awful it must be that the episodes are different lengths?

Come on... This is not going to upset the fans. The opposite is true. The fans will revel in having "bonus length" episodes.

It is no different than any other programing. It is not the length of the episode, it is the content of the episode. As long as the content is there where you want to continue to watch, you will.

The shows format is not cramming one story into a single episode. It is a story that has a continuous flow. It is more like different chapters in a book, some may be longer than others.

The author of the article makes the point, why not make it into a movie? I say, why not let it do its own thing? If the scripts are on par with the budget, it should be a fine season.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I got another crazy idea: what if you took two 90-minute episodes, and then cut them up to make three one-hour episode? :cool:

12. SandAndGlass

Or we could get really crazy and take three one-hour episodes and combine them into two 90-minute episodes. :cool:

I don't think the length matters as long as it doesn't have to fit within a specific time slot.

More important is how the story flows within that episode. Are we cutting the episode at the optimum place in the script?

I remember watching Star Trek TOS back in the 60's and so often thinking, that they spent almost the entire episode building and developing the story and then, in the final five minutes, everything was resolved and the show ended. There could have been much more to go with the story? You spend so much time building characters and developing a story.

But, that is how 1960's TV happened. It is like every TV show episode happened. This also had the benefit of making each episode a nice package for syndication.

I don't see any particular benefit or reason for cutting a 90-minute episode. Are Harry Potter movies any particular length?

If you are not fitting a show into a dedicated time slot, then make each episode any length that works best for the stories narrative. Why not?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. MikaelaArsenault

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would bet you the 90-minute shows will be padded and slow. They were already getting to that point last season with the 60-minute episodes. There's a point where screwing with the formula becomes self-indulgent.

15. SandAndGlass

The show takes 80's tweets to the max, with Dungeons & Dragons and other things 80's.

But, they have already developed the characters and set the time period.

The "kids" are now obviously older. But by how much? Are kids that have actually experienced the wrath of the Upside-down going to sit around a table in the basement and still play role playing Dungeons & Dragons games?

That 70's show shot a lot in the basement. But the scripts were excellent and the characters continued to ddvelop. They managed eight seasons and something like 200-episodes. (Though they definitely took the series one season to long). I imagine on a far less per-episode budget.

16. SandAndGlass

There was definitely a lot of padding in the show after the first season.

17. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

I had thought that the last 2-3 episodes of Better Call Saul should have been consolidated into longer episodes. I felt the production into predetermined shorter length episodes made them worse where at the end of at least a couple episodes I was like, “ok, that’s good but, that’s it?”

Allowing for inconsistent runtimes should allow for better, less forced or random break points. These series are really continuous story telling, not neat serial episodes, so the flexibility of the modern format should be taken advantage of here. I look forward to the the longer episodes not being chopped up.

18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I'm going to assume that the split season is being done in order to prevent mass Netflix cancellations at the conclusion of their most popular program. I'm sure there are gobs of people ready to ditch Netflix once this season is over, and now they'll be able to hook most of them in for at least another couple of months. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar when the next season of Cobra Kai hits.

19. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

Personally, I'd prefer the model where they release 1 episode per week instead of dumping a whole season at once. This way you can savor each episode and don't having to worry too much about spoilers.

Isn't this "split-season" only about 1 month apart? I think there was a Sopranos split season that was something like a year between parts!

20. MikaelaArsenault

21. MikaelaArsenault

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And now there's a big Doritos tie-in for the show...

23. MikaelaArsenault

24. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I think I'm going to have to wait until the show has aired its final episode then go back and start again from the very beginning and watch until the end. I just can't remember a lot of details-I'm not very good at waiting a year between seasons to remember where I left off. I'm going to be completely lost after three years if I try to pick up on season 4 now.

25. MikaelaArsenault