Stray Cats 40th Anniversary new album and tour

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Isamet, Oct 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Good call, at least I got a copy of the limited Indie vinyl version, coming today. I believe they are random colors or splatter, not really sure.

MikaelaArsenault and csaudvid like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. thxphotog

thxphotog Camera Nerd Cycling Nerd Guitar Nerd Dietary Nerd

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No problem!

5. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Not to be a Debbie Downer but after four plays through I am underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but there isn't one song that jumps out and grabs me. I own every Stray Cats release and every Setzer release and they all have at least one song that I would be like "hell yeah that's great" but I am struggling with this one. Maybe I expect to much...maybe I will change my mind at some point.

6. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Maybe I'm easy, but I'm just impressed that they bothered at all, given the state of album sales by heritage acts. They could have easily gone on the road and just played the hits. Kinda sad that my expectations are so low, but that's where I'm at.

As for the album, it's well recorded and everybody sounds great. Hopefully the tunes grow on me a bit.

7. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

A little more screaming might have helped, but I get it, they are old just like me LOL.

chickendinna likes this.
  8. Funky54

Funky54 Coat Hangers do not sound good

Can’t wait. I saw Seltzer once solo in Columbus Ohio. He was kind enough to sign my 61 Double anniversary pick guard.

Love everything he’s done. I’ve always wanted to see him out of context.. like do a project with other musicians in a hard rock setting. Imagine just for a project him plugging into a Marshall Stack with some fuzz with Black Country Communion when joe’s not around.. or maybe do a super group project, just 1 album.

I’m glad they are doing this. No shows in Florida though. Can’t blame them, this is the most dead state for rock I imagine there is. If anyone wants to hear anemic acoustic sets done by guys in flip flops, Hawaiian shirts and too much chorus come on done... every gig is Jimmy Buffett and brown eyed girl re-styled into the most ridiculous arrangements possible.

9. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll

I’ve felt that way about every release since rant n rave. The band and performances are great, but the songs don’t break new ground or stick with me, and that’s a huge, huge fan. Hope they come to ct in this tour - I’d love to see them. Been a fan since built for speed and have never seen them.

Lonecat and NightHider like this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

First listen of the Indie vinyl version and this is one bad as$ album. Better than expected and just one good song after the other! They delivered big time! The instrumentation is tight as can be and Brian Setzer is smoking hot!

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Wanted to give some more feedback on the new album. I got the Indie splatter version (seems to be a tricky one to get like some of the other versions) and the gatefold jacket looks cool as can be with a nice little poster and down load card. The splatter vinyl is nicely done and the sound quality is good with much bottom end/bass to it.

This is easily one of my favorite releases by them (been in to them since I got the import vinyl at the start of their career) and just so many really good songs coming out of that magical trash can of theirs! The band seems like they are having a great time and does it ever show! Jamming away just tight as can be with Brian's tasty guitar work shining through with one awesome riff after the other.

Interesting as the only not so favorable comments I have read or heard are the ones posted on this thread. One of my sons and a friend got it and they love it as well. For those that are on the fence with this one, I would highly suggest some more listens...This is really one heck of a good time/listen!

12. csaudvid

csaudvid Forum Resident

Fantastic! What colors were used in your splatter version?

NightHider and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  13. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Reddish orange with blue streaks on clear vinyl. Looks pretty cool! If you google and put in Indie splatter vinyl version, pictures come up...

14. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Damn. I never pre-ordered this one.

Gotta go find one, now.

15. csaudvid

csaudvid Forum Resident

Could not find a pic to save my life! Looks like the majority of the special indie versions are no longer available. The silver, blue & red marble vinyl on the Mascot site have sold out. I'm a sucker for colored vinyl; hoping the album does well for those Cats!!

NightHider likes this.
  16. filutek

filutek Forum Resident

Glad to hear that people are happy with their vinyl editions. Meanwhile, the standard CD edition turns out to be a CD-R. Amazon now lists it as being manufactured on demand, but that warning was not there when I placed my pre-order. Disappointed. I would have sprung for the deluxe edition (assuming that CD is not a CD-R as well.)

NightHider and Matthew Tate like this.
  17. TheLoveDrags

TheLoveDrags Senior Member

Same here.

NightHider, Matthew Tate and The MEZ like this.
  18. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Received my amazon order today and was immediately disappointed to see, thru the sealed shrinkwrap, that the cover booklet has been mis-threaded thru both upper tabs leaving a crinkle and two heavy tab indents. Doubly shocked when I noticed the heavy pixelation of the low-res printing on the artwork, both front and back. Immediately repackaged for return without even opening it. I didn't find out it was a CD-r til I read it in this thread. Sigh.

FYI, the Deluxe CD Box is available at amazon UK for a comparable price (with the free prime shipping anyway) and is listed as prepared by Mascot Records(the US being issued by Surfdog). I have an email in to them asking if the box set has a pressed CD or CD-r.

I also wonder if the UK vinyl sounds better than the US....

Great record though!! I recommend the hi-res 24/96 download if you can find it.

TheLoveDrags, twicks and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Go to ebay, put in "Stray Cats 40 Indie Exclusive Splatter" (happy with the way mine turned out, as splatter versions can differ a tad), and there is one with bids placed under seller deuche_123...one day left...you can click on the main picture and other pics appear...But I say go on and open up your blue marble exclusive and tell us how cool that version is...ha!

You can never tell with these exclusives, I told my son about it and he stopped by Euclid Records in St. Louis on Friday and got their second to last copy of the Indie splatter version as well.

And whats with this CD-R crap, that ain't right!

Going to crank it up again today so I should get a better feel for it. Was kind of hard to play vinyl over the holiday weekend with all of the BBQing going on and such. Plus during Summer holidays and cookouts, my wife loves her Blues, so a lot of Muddy, John Lee Hooker, Albert King, and assorted others to help wash down the suds if you will...hope everyone had a good Memorial Day!

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    NightHider and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. twicks

twicks Forum Resident

Yeah, unfortunate they're cutting corners on the CD. They didn't cheap out on the production -- really a good-sounding recording (at least through streaming, as far as it goes).

NightHider, Matthew Tate and scotti like this.
  21. csaudvid

csaudvid Forum Resident

NightHider and scotti like this.
  22. csaudvid

csaudvid Forum Resident

Wow you'd think after a few years I'd figure out how to reply here.

NightHider, Matthew Tate and scotti like this.
  23. NightHider

NightHider Forum Resident

Japan pressed CD release in digi-pak w/ live bonus track Too Hip Gotta Go - 4988002784943 - $30

US/UK pressed CD release in gatefold digi-sleeve w/ no bonus track - 822686671219 - $16

AmazonUK Deluxe Edition Box (coasters/stickers/postcard) w/2 bonus tracks - 0819873019244 - $16 w/Prime

Amazon burned CD-r in jewel case w/ tracks 3 & 4 reversed and cheap photocopied artwork- $12

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  24. Queezma

Queezma Forum Resident

Just bought the CD (gatefold digs pack-12 tracks) and LP from my local mom and pop store (12$ for CD and $22 for LP in Canadian funds). Just popping in CD now (not a CD-R) so will report back after a few listens. Is it only through amazon that people are getting CD-Rs?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. zen

zen Senior Member

Great question. I'd LOVE to boycott them.
    New Stray Cats, on CD-R?! Apparently, to amazzon......Rock 'n' roll is dead.

Matthew Tate, Queezma and Lonecat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.