Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK) PART TWO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

As I understand, the recommended corner placement is because it aids the bass performance. Given the differences between brick walls and plaster walls that people experience, I would think that any corner structure would have to very substantial on order to make a difference in the bass. If it doesn't go all the way to the ceiling, I would expect the bass to escape, at least to some extent.

However, I seem to recall that Warren Jarrett used some construction at shows, so I'm not completely rejecting that it might work in practice, no matter what theory might suggest.

rappaport, jonwoody and Earthbound2 like this.
  2. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I have actually had the drivers in my E's moved from non-gloss to high-gloss cabinets. I had been told beforehand that I should expect a difference, and maybe there was a small difference, but if it was there, it was certainly small. Definitely not big enough that it should decide which finish you choose IMO. You can get more improvement for the same money if you spend it elsewhere in the system.

rappaport, jonwoody, Gjo and 2 others like this.
  3. Gerd

Gerd Well-Known Member

Finn, I like the Australian sense of humor. I work with Aussis and Kiwis and like them a lot for their sense of humor. Keep it going ;-)

4. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Correct. Faux corners won’t work the same as structural room corners, but faux corners are better than no corners.
    IMO.

5. jonwoody

jonwoody Tragically Unhip

Oh absolutely and needless to say the diplomatic biz is all about promoting Aussie culture and socializing. It goes without saying I sell the exclusively Australian wines, and a bit of Aussie gin.

6. nige harris

nige harris Forum Resident

My set up is not idea, however I still get good bass, but I have thought of a small panel on the outside of the left speaker to see if it improves or changes anything...

I won't be able to go too high or two think, and will look to try a couple of different panel constructions to see if there is much difference.

But first on to yello tac, as very kindly supplied to me by @rappaport

rappaport and jonwoody like this.
  7. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

I’ve heard how it enhances bass, but does the corner placement affect mids and highs?

dunkyboy likes this.
  8. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Corner placement is all about bass extension and reinforcement, which works primarily because bass wavelength is so long. Corner placement has much less (if any) affect on mids and highs.

I happen to think it also enhances their disappearing act. At least it has in my room.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2023
  9. Earthbound2

I am planning on getting dual subs this June so I’m not going to worry about it then. I love the sound of the 300b with these speakers but want a little more bass, like I get with the push pull I have. I think it will also help the sound stage from what I’ve read. Thanks for the information Gjo and others. Much appreciated.

rappaport likes this.
  10. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

You should research Distributed Bass Array before deciding on two subs. Check the Audiokinesis website. Duke is the master of DBA.

Earthbound2, rappaport and Encore like this.
  11. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I did a cut-n-paste this morning for Audiokinesis and received a website certificate warning, so I wanted to post a link to the correct Audiokinesis Swarm webpage:

The Swarm Subwoofer System

12. Earthbound2

Thanks Gjo. Really went down the Swarm wormhole since yesterday. Hadn’t heard of the bass array option and am happy with what I’ve read. I spoke with James for awhile today and we discussed my system and what would work best. I will have to contact Aric and see if some of the impedance levels are acceptable and if he can add a second pre out to the preamp he is currently building for me. A few things have to work out for the Swarm to be a consideration. If it does, I’m seriously considering it.

Encore and Gjo like this.
  13. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I haven't ever spoken with James, but I have met Duke LeJeune and emailed with him many times. He's truly one of the good guys in the audio world. A true mensch. Not to mention extremely talented.

I'm sure Aric can do whatever is needed. Another one of the good guys.

14. Earthbound2

I read a few discussions regarding the Swarm and Duke was very informative, yet humble. He actually called me but I was walking the dog and missed the call. Once I hear from Aric, I will have a better idea of the direction I’m going. Yes, Aric is awesome. I just don’t want to have him go back to add an out if he’s past that in the build. I know he would but he is trying to complete some gear and get ready for Axpona in a few weeks. I won’t add to his already busy schedule by undoing and altering the preamp. I’m sure I can make a dual sub work wonderfully. They also take up less space. I’m running out of room to put any more stereo equipment!

15. Earthbound2

Of course Aric responds this late on a Friday. I feel guilty and am not emailing him after 5 anymore. I have a tendency to get self absorbed when I’m focused on a thing. He is a very nice guy. Of course,not a problem. Just requires a few caps to be ordered. Will take time and this would mean I have to take a day off from work to pick up the preamp. Will sleep on it.

16. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

Any real world anecdotes on how long an IO1 lasts before a rebuild?

Very much enjoying the IO I’m demoing, but just wanted to factor in the rebuild cost.

dunkyboy and Kasper Bergholt like this.
  17. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Before you make a final decision, I would suggest speaking with Duke (or emailing with him). He won't try to sell you, but he will answer your questions, and discuss concept and set-up considerations.

A effective multi subwoofer array can be done with three subs rather than four, thus saving money and space. Another reason to speak with Duke.

Everyone who has installed a SWARM subwoofer array has been convinced of the benefits over dual subs, because bass simply fills the room without any sense of directionality (which can be a downside to stereo subs).

Duke's SWARM subwoofers are relatively small, and visually disappear into a room, particularly if they're black. The drivers face the wall, so they look like end tables, only smaller.

I realize the subwoofer discussion is a sidebar to Audio Note, so I will leave it here. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    Encore and Earthbound2 like this.
  18. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

@Mr T. i cannot answer that Q as I have only had my 2nd hand i01 for like 18 months but what an absolute cracker it is huh? i have used mie with a s3 and now an s4 and it is amazing how good it sounds imo. both detailed and musical. they say it is level 3 but i think that is some fudging to allow for i02/ioGold and ioLTD. the change from iq3 to i01/s3 was total.

dunkyboy and whaaat like this.
  19. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

Thanks @SetANE, well 18 months seems longer than my IQ3’s seem to last before sibilance seems to rear its head, so I’m happy the IO seems longer.
    The IO1 is yes, a cracker, can’t believe immersive and enjoyable it is.
    I’ve paid my deposit but it may be ”months” before there’s stock at AN, so I’m stuck with demo cart , what a shame. Somehow managed to be demoing SUT 2,3 4 and 5 as well.
    SUT 2 is realistically all I can afford right now, but it’s good to get a feel on what can be achieved. So jealous of your SUT4

dunkyboy likes this.
  20. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

Less than 18 months with the IQ3? That doesn't sound too good. How many hours per day would you estimate that you play?

dunkyboy likes this.
  21. roole

roole Forum Resident

18 months with IQ3 is not much to say at least.

Encore likes this.
  22. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

@Encore, About 3 hours a day, so 1,500 in total.
    For the past six months i’ve found the non-audiophile pressings of Rock & Pop could be pot luck that they might sound a little harsh. I was never sure it was the set-up, stylus or pressings. I’m no longer having any problems like that with the IO.

dunkyboy, Encore and Tourswede like this.
  23. Tourswede

Tourswede Forum Resident

I just changed stylus on iq3.
    Like you.. I was questioning setup etc but now that I change it (cart and all other settings being the same) it’s crazy how I’d forgotten how it was suppose to sound.
    In a Rough estimate I think I got 1500-2000 hrs out of it (tracking at 1.9).
    Love this cart though!!

24. Mr T.

Mr T. Well-Known Member

@Tourswede, Loved the IQ3, but time for a change for me. And for what I’m hearing it’s a no-brainer for me,
    The IO is pricey initially, but moving forward the rebuild is about a £1,000, while a a IQ3 stylus is nearly £700 so roughly the same... sort of.
    Hence my initial question about times between rebuild for anyone those owned an IO for a while, just wondering if it’s longer than the IQ3.

Time to pop another record on:tiphat:

Tourswede likes this.
  25. roole

roole Forum Resident

You can wait for IO rebuild up to few months. IQ3 stylus can be bought instantly if the dealer has it on site.

Joe Spivey likes this.