Strictly for fans of Audio Note UK (all things Audio Note UK) PART TWO

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

EDIT: Much of my response was already answered below by @Larry I, and he's on the mark regarding the differences between spikes and Gaia footer (springs) and their affect on concrete floors.

@Gerd, Gaia feet work differently than spikes insofar as spikes are coupling devices designed to allow a path for vibration to drain to the floor. Gaia footers, on the other hand, are decouplers that are designed to absorb vibration and turn it into heat which dissipates. Which will sound better in your room is a debatable question, but likely can be only answered only by you.

Are you able to purchase Gaia II footers with a 30 or 60 day return? That's what I'd suggest, if you have the opportunity.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  2. audiorocks

audiorocks Forum Resident

I'm interested in Gaia footers too. Maybe the Cable Co will lend them out.

3. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

In the U.S., Music Direct sells Gaia footers, and they offer a 60 day return.

dunkyboy, audiorocks and Lowrider75 like this.
  4. dsockel

dsockel Forum Resident

Make sure you know the size of your stand spike bolts. The GAIA comes with 3 sets that meet most but not all stands. Iso can get you the right ones. They used to do it at no charge, but not sure if they still do.

5. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Alright. Finn, Larry I and others have finally got the best of me. I ordered 2 packs of 4 Gaia II footers today. My Lexus Signatures are on AN stands filled with sand and lead shot. They are spiked to a wood floor that has a sub floor below it that is glued to concrete slab. I am buying the idea that what I am doing now is vibrating the sub floor, rather than projecting LF out into the room. I will post subjective and objective findings once I get them delivered, installed and broken in for a couple hundred hours.

Don Parkhurst, dj_w, finn and 9 others like this.
  6. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Recently I had the opportunity to acquire a previously owned DAC-5 Signature, so I jumped on it. That allowed me to move my 15+ year old DAC-5 Special into my office system, replacing the DAC-4.1x Sig, which I will now try to sell. The new 5 sig made a big difference in my main rig, so I thought – why not see if better cables would also help. This is slightly complicated by the fact that I have a Manley Skipjack to switch between the CDT and a Lumin U1 streamer. Plus I have a reclocker to improve the streamer output. That makes for a lot of cables! I have been using AN-Vx 20 strand cables which sound pretty good. But can I do better? I borrowed a set of Black Pallas cables which have been getting rave reviews. Honestly, my expectations were modest as I suspect that the room acoustics (and my old ears) are becoming the limiting factor.

All I can say is Wow. Increased sound stage, more details and a lot more ‘live’ feeling (i.e. the instruments sounded more real). Switched back to the Vx cables and it went away. Frowning face. But, can I afford to keep them? Difficult question…

7. Salectric

Salectric Senior Member

Are the Black Pallas still available? I seem to recall reading AN stopped selling them when the fellow who made them died. But maybe I am not remembering that correctly.

8. finn

finn Forum Resident

There is a new version also by the name Black Pallas.
    The previous version was manufactured by an individual who was somewhat reclusive and found the stress of manufacturing in growing quantity stressful and so decide to withdraw. Still very much alive I do believe. The new version is quite different in design and there is an excellent review available on line done by the people from HiFi critic.

9. finn

finn Forum Resident

If you can’t hear their influence in the first track you play, just send them back. You may well send them back because you prefer the spikes but it won’t be because it’s a subtle change for the dollars involved.

Don Parkhurst, Footsurg and SetANE like this.
  10. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

Based on the components in your two systems, I will venture a guess the decision is not that difficult.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  11. finn

finn Forum Resident

We merely provide shoulders so that others may see the promised land.

Don Parkhurst, jonwoody and SetANE like this.
  12. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Finn, thanks for the pointer, that is a nicely written review (https://www.audionote.co.uk/news for a link to the PDF). One of his descriptions which I resonate with is that the music seems faster. Obviously it not actually faster, but it sure feels that way. Faster and more lively.

jusbe, jonwoody, SetANE and 1 other person like this.
  13. Gerd

Gerd Well-Known Member

@finn @Gjo : I assume in your set-ups you immediately heard the difference between Gaias and spikes? I will of course provide feedback as soon as I received my Gaia II feet

14. finn

finn Forum Resident

As you go up through the AN range of speaker versions, the overarching perception is an increasing sense of intelligibility in the reproduction of the recording, be it voice, instrument, artifice of programming or recording engineer marvel. That intelligibility is what you will easier with the Gaia’s in place.

jonwoody, SetANE, Gjo and 1 other person like this.
  15. audiorocks

So you're using the Skipjack to switch between RCA SPDIF cables into your AN DAC? Does your DAC have 2 inputs? In case it's helpful, I'm using an XLR SPDIF cable from my CDT into my AN DAC and an RCA SPDIF cable from my streamer into the same DAC. The streamer doesn't produce sound if the CDT is powered on, otherwise it works great.

Does AN make XLR SPDIF cables?

16. Gjo

Gjo Forum Resident

I used Townshend podiums for a while, rather than Gaia footers. Similar spring-based, decoupling concept. Some users who have heard both believe Townshend are more effective than Gaia. I mention that only for perspective.

My floor is hardwood on a post and beam raised foundation.

With Townshend podiums installed, midrange became slightly clearer, and mid bass and lower bass was reduced. This was all likey due to the removal of bass vibration from the floor and walls, which is exactly what Townshend podiums are supposed to do. I would say the change was in the range of 15-20%.

After living with the Townshend podiums for a few months, I rather missed the warmth produced by the bass bump. Also, the Townshend podiums' shape prevented speaker set-up as close to the side walls as I prefer, and one of the effects was an increase in left-right perception of the channels. I couldn't get the speakers to disappear like I could with them an inch or so from the walls. I tried a number of cabinet positions and toe-in angles over three months.

Eventually, I sold the Townshend podiums and went back to spikes.

I would like to try some other alternatives. Revopods are on my radar, although they are much more expensive at nearly $2800 USD for a set of eight. If I find some used Gaia II footers I may give them a try because they will allow the speakers to be placed closer to the side walls than did the Townshend podiums.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    dunkyboy, jonwoody and Gerd like this.
  17. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

That’s exactly what I heard when I put my Townshend bars under my E’s. I am tempted by the Gaia, though, as the Townshend bars make it a pain to access the back of the speakers. Or rather, getting the speakers back into place after having accessed the back is a pain.

18. Encore

Encore Forum Resident

I experienced the same, although I would say that the bass was not only reduced, it was also better defined. But I do remember that for a while I felt that the jury was out on whether I preferred the bass boost of the spikes. However, I think two things happened. 1) I got used to the sound, and 2) some improvements elsewhere in my chain gave more authority to the bass.

dunkyboy, SetANE, Gjo and 1 other person like this.
  19. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Yes, there are 2 possible inputs, although as I recall AN recommends the RCA input. But, they are connected together, so you are really not showing the DAC the electrical connectivity it is expecting.

20. audiorocks

Can you tell me more? It sounds like connecting on both inputs could be detrimental.

21. NapaBob

NapaBob Forum Resident

Perhaps a real electrical engineer (or someone who at least owns an oscilloscope) can chime in here?

22. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

If my spikes were in direct contact with the concrete slab I would not have ordered them to begin with. From a standpoint of physics/acoustics it makes total sense that I am resonating the floor and sub floor mostly, eating up a lot of the LF energy. I expect that they will make an improvement. However, I will be listening very objectively. If I really cant tell a difference they will definitely go back.

jonwoody, finn and Gjo like this.
  23. SetANE

SetANE Forum Resident

re: GAIA for me it was exactly like @Encore says. jury was out because the sound was initially less exciting. there was much less distortion though (suspended hardwood floor plus solid brick walls) and over time the speakers loosened up, my hearing adjusted and i felt like the clarity was striking (especially in bass department). i would not go back because in hindsight it was just a bunch of distortion and ultimately what i want is clarity. i totally agree though that every time we subtract exciting (literally) distortion it puts the onus back onto the equipment.

Don Parkhurst, jonwoody and finn like this.
  24. Earthbound2

Earthbound2 Forum Resident

When I started purchasing a new system this past 6 months, I purchased a PS Audio Stellar 3 for power regeneration. I’ve always used it and have now since wondered, after reading many threads on the subject, if I should have bothered. I will now do the wall test! Worst case, up for sale. Not too bad.

JanJ likes this.
  25. Tubesrbetter

Tubesrbetter Member

Just wanted to touch base. I've been playing around with the parts. Yes, The Mills are excellent on the plates. Really superb. There's more composure and a bigger sound. The amp doesn't break a sweat on anything. At first they sounded dry and a bit boring but that all changed with use. The Audio Note silver was a mixed bag on the grid of the output tubes. It was definitely more sophisticated and resolved in the midrange than what I had on hand but even after a long run in it had a unique tonal balance that some may attribute to the sound of silver that I didn't love. I didn't hate it either. But it didn't really shine in that spot. I didn't want to give up on the Audio Note Silvers partly because of the cost involved. So I switched the input tube so I could try The Audio Notes as a cathode resistor and BAM! It shined so well in that spot. So much resolution but gentle very natural resolution that gets you closer to the music and that unique tonal balance was no longer noticeable. I would definitely recommend The Audio Note Silvers for cathodes. They are really, really good there. Just wanted to share my experiences. Thanks again for The Mills idea.

JanJ and jonwoody like this.