'Stripes', 1981 Bill Murray Vehicle: Theatrical or Extended Cut?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Jun 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo Thread Starter

I have the original DVD, which is likely the theatrical version. Do you prefer the theatrical cut or the extended cut?

ZackyDog and 905 like this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I prefer the theatrical cut. I wish the bluray I own included both versions.

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

The extended cut has a topless P.J. Soles so it is automatically one of the best movies of all time.

4. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I have the extended cut on Blu Ray and wish I got the Theatrical Cut instead.
    I think the extended cut added a few scenes that belonged on the cutting room floor

5. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

6. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I have the Extended cut DVD which also has the theatrical version. I prefer the extended cut.

minglewood likes this.
  7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Theatrical Cut

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Extended...
    I have this:
    [​IMG]

9. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Nothing's Going to Change Presidente's Kokomo Thread Starter

Where do you file it in your collection: "Murray"?

Michael likes this.
  10. Michael

"G" Ground Hog Day/Stripes...weird yes, but it works for me as I remember the titles on this BD.

11. Michael

Indeed!

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Theatrical. It's already too long - the third act really sputters at times - so a longer version doesn't improve it.

The added scenes are fun to see but better as deleted sequences not placed into the film...

Chris DeVoe and rswitzer like this.
  13. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

It's a mixed bag. The jungle scene is way too much to pay off a Tito Puente joke, but the Levitation monologue at the beginning is essential. It's hilarious for one thing (Check please!), it explains how Bill cons Harold into joining up and it makes the whole Winnebago thing make a lot more sense. I really can't believe they cut that out.

905 and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I thought the scene in question wasn't important. We already see John talk Russell into joining the Army, so I don't think we need more.

As I mentioned, the scenes are fun to see, but I think the movie works better without them...

15. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Right on the money! I agree.

fr in sc likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It was very nice to see a topless P.J. Soles when I searched that clip out online... but it wasn't funny. I don't know if it just wasn't a particularly amusing clip or if it's hard difficult to laugh at a naked woman.

Maybe it's just me, but I find myself gawping like a teenage boy "...boobies..." rather than laughing like an adult man.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
  17. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

Stripes looks good in 4K UHD.

[​IMG]

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  18. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

I've seen both versions; definitely the theatrical version. Maybe a bonus disc with the extended scenes would've worked, but I understand there are people who enjoy the extended version.

19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

20. 905

905 Senior Member

I only have theatrical dvd, but will try and see the extended, it will be cool to see the extra back story.

I couldn't choose one, but this is among my favorite Murray films.

21. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Forum Resident

I love the nervous soldier and Captain Stillman part: ...now fire the weapon. It looks like John Larroquette is on the verge of laughing.

22. Hanglow

Hanglow Forum Resident

Like someone already mentioned... Stripes 1st and 2nd act is comedy gold but when Winger and Ziskey commandeer the Urban Assault Vehicle and go into Czechoslovakia I check out:agree::whistle::unhunh:

mattright and Jrr like this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've only ever seen the Theatrical version and I love it.

24. The theatrical cut is already too long as it is.

Jrr and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  25. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I loved that movie but man, you’re being kind saying it sputtered along during the third act. To me it didn’t have one, just really bad. But the first two are fantastic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.