Stuart Sutcliffe

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Dec 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Stuart's passion was Art, and then Astrid so he stayed in Hamburg, music was just what kept him tied to his friendship w/ John.

However John talked him into using award money to buy the amp the group needed! Stuart also purchased a bass to flesh out the band line-up and sound.

Paulwalrus and Maranatha5585 like this.
  2. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

A guy puts on some sunglasses and that's all it takes for some of you to go "Omg he's so cool." :rolleyes:
    He never would have lasted 8 months into The Beatles rise to success. His heart obviously wasn't in it. And frankly, I think things worked out for the best anyway. Short of his premature death, of course.

3. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Was that why, or was it because they had to be a five-piece band to get the gig in Hamburg? (They also had to supply their own drummer, that's how Pete got hired.)

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

He took one for the team, twice. By joining the band when they needed him, and then by leaving the band when they no longer needed him.

5. paul62

paul62 Forum Resident

Stu may have been a good singer (I do not know) and he could have morphed into an energetic front man if given the chance, I suppose........

6. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

Yes but no. It's easy to be the coolest if you're the only one with shades. For me Macca is the coolest person in this photo.

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Obviously John loved music more than Art, but he didn't leave his own passion for Rock & Roll after Stu chose to leave the group and instead paint and stay in Hamburg, John took a big break in 1975, - not after Stuart died. Astrid was still quite close to The Beatles through the big climb of music and fame.

Maranatha5585 likes this.
  8. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

I think most of the Stuart-couldn't-play-and-turned-his-back-on-the-audience thing tends to be The Beatles' memories of the Larry Parnes audition and subsequent tour of Scotland. He'd been learning bass for, what, three weeks at that point? But all those hours onstage at the Indra, Kaiserkellar, and Top Ten Club would have seasoned him in a hurry.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Clearly, Seth McFarlaine ripped him off when he created the baby character on Family Guy.

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

You're very picky, don't you?

Hammerpeg, Gavaxeman and showtaper like this.
  11. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Where is all of Stuart's original artwork these days? Paintings, drawings, etc. I would love to see them in an exhibition and I wonder why they are not in a museum or art gallery in Liverpool, London or somewhere else.

12. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

[​IMG]

13. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I'm sure Stuart wasn't feeling all warm and fuzzy being one of two bass players in the band.

14. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

It seems very few survive -- IIRC John owned two.

There's a full length BBC doc on Stu S if you need more info

15. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

17. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I gues he would do what Klaus Voormann did later; design some covers of (Beatles) albums and stay an influence on Lennon's life....

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Is it true that he sang 'Love Me Tender' at a few Hamburg gigs? Or was it just fiction specially written for the Backbeat film?

19. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

When I was a kid I heard rumors that Stu was tone deaf and that Pete Best was an upper class snob.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Was that photo taken just an hour before Stuart officially left the group?^^
    Looks a bit odd that Paul chose to use his bass on stage, too, instead a guitar here.

21. She gave them their "mop top" haircuts, which arguably changed the world.

22. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

And tightened up their trousers too, which arguably changed the fate of the band ... ;)

23. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Yeah I knew that- meant more so did she stay in contact after they became famous? I suppose as Klaus did Astrid probably did too

24. Arnold Grove

Yes, Astrid always stayed in touch. For example, Astrid and Klaus vacationed with 3 of the Beatles (George, Paul, and Ringo) in 1963 in the Canary Islands:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Arnold Grove

Astrid also took this 1968 photo of George, which was part of the Wonderwall soundtrack album art:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.