Sturgill Simpson - Sound and Fury 2019 album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by notesofachord, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

If you watched his country show last night, Sturgill said he is recording two live in the studio albums (first one to be released this fall) where he will re-record some of his songs in a bluegrass style - presumably with the band he played with last night at the Ryman - and I'm hoping this will include some of the Sound & Fury material. The band sounded good last night.

jeffsab and Ernest T like this.
  2. BrainOfJHA

BrainOfJHA Pearl Jam high five!

Any updates on the bluegrass albums?

3. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i saw an instagram post from sturgill last week, and there is at least a test pressing of bluegrass tunes. both he and the drummer were in the studio listening to it.

4. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Wow this album...had an incredible legacy for me and my other half this past 14 months or so. We must have listened to this album all the way through over and over and over. It's been like a life soundtrack for us.

Listens are in the hundreds.

In fact just took delivery of my Sound & Fury samurai T-shirt today in the post from the USA. Also finally got hold of the 'prequel' graphic novel a few weeks go.

Not had an album resonate like this for me in many years.

5. Rob C

Rob C Forum Resident

I listened to Sound & Fury a lot when I first got it but haven't done so in a while--this reminds me I need to give it another spin! I was very disappointed that Sturgill's concert, which I had tickets for, got cancelled last year.

daglesj and jeffsab like this.
  6. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

I got Cutting Grass vol 1 and vol2 and they are awesome. The drawbacks - recording is just OK, and pressing (my copy at least) is marginal.

Hammerhead likes this.
  7. nickg

nickg Forum Resident

Not far off!

8. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

Been seeing some press for a new Scorcese movie in the works, with Sturgill and Jason Isbell in featured roles!

9. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe Thread Starter

10. Davido

I'm still bummed the tour for "Sound & Fury" was aborted without seeming hope of resurrection. Guess I need to get over that, especially since it looks like he's back in rootsy territory. What a wild ride it's been so far.

daglesj, fourfeathers and jeffsab like this.
  11. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

I was so ready for Sturgill’s arena rock phase!! Missed my show by one week. Bah!

Love the bluegrass stuff but hope he has another bombastic guitar hero tour in him some day.

jeffsab, Davido and daglesj like this.
  12. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'm hoping we'll get a Sound & Fury Volume II in a few years time.

jeffsab, Crispy Rob and Davido like this.
  13. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

I attended a concert of the "Sound & Fury tour" on January 25, 2020 in the Melkweg, Amsterdam. It was amazing. Possibly one of his last concerts from that tour?

14. Davido

Lucky dog! I didn't realize the tour had actually started or had forgotten that fact... I had good tickets for my local show but it was still many many weeks out when the tour had to shut down. Any memories you can share from the show you saw?

15. Joyoo

Joyoo Senior Member

It was a cool show in which songs from his Sound & Fury album were played. His guitar playing in particular made a big impression on me. It was the first time I saw Sturgill Simpson playing.

Davido likes this.
  16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Name your fave song from S&F!

Mine is Remember to Breath. I love the dark and seedy undertones to it.

bjlefebvre and jeffsab like this.
  17. Davido

Mercury in Retrograde, even though it may be one of the less adventurous cuts. A great deep cut however you look at it! Which of these songs would remain in his set one might wonder.

jeffsab and bjlefebvre like this.
  18. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I am solidly in the "I love S&F" camp. I liked the subsequent bluegrass efforts but haven't listened to them nearly as much as S&F and Sailor's Guide To Earth. The songs on the Bluegrass vinyl pressings are great, the SQ is a little too rolled off though.

Favorite S&F cuts: "Sing Along" and "Make Art Not Friends." The fuzzed-out four-on-the-floor beat on the former and the electro-melancholy of the latter pretty much define the album for me. "Mercury In Retrograde" is another favorite as the pissed off, Jetsons-era country song that it is.

Davido likes this.
  19. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre Forum Resident

I can't believe this album isn't more popular than it is. Three stars on AllMusic despite a glowing written review? New copies selling for $17 on Discogs? WTF? Just listening to like 10 seconds of any of its songs gets me pumped enough to want to jump out a window.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Davido, daglesj and bzfgt like this.
  20. Davido

Well, bjlefebvre, some reviewers may have considered the album a novelty or gimmick on Sturgill's part. I'm just speculating but as you noted, the songs are good and hold up fine with his other work. The album just solidified my fascination with Simpson's overall work.

21. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

I just got this album on vinyl and WOW!!! What a great album! Had my heart pumping over both sides of the vinyl. I saw a video on Youtube VC talking about it, listened to a couple of tracks on YT and was hooked. So glad I ordered this album on vinyl, even though its loud and a bit compressed it works with this style of in your face music! Highly recommended.

22. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Still listening regularly to this album...all the way through. We've been listening to a lot of his earlier stuff recently too.

Tricky Nick 77, JayB, GK and 2 others like this.