Stylus cleaning advice.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wasabi, Oct 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Just be careful and you will do NO damage, and you are very correct, the vinyl does leave a burned crud on the stylus, and it must have some friction from the ME to pull it off. :righton:

2. Leviathan

Leviathan Forum Resident

Do you use any fluid with that brush? I have that brush with the included fluid but I have no idea how old the fluid is (does that stuff ever go bad?). I’ve used it with the fluid a few times and haven’t had a problem yet.

Also, how do you clean the brush itself?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  3. awongkillabeez

awongkillabeez Well-Known Member

Moongel Resonance Pads[​IMG]

iCollect and ZenMango like this.
  4. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I still have the SC-2 fluid that came with the kit I bought in the 1980's. I don't think it has much more than distilled water, I've not detected an odour. Formulas for the D4 record cleaning fluid are on the internet, but I haven't noticed the stylus cleaning formula. It would be great if there were some audiophile chemists who could analyise it! A couple of people on AudioKarma site said that alcohol-based fluids ruined their Discwasher styli brush.

I haven't used my fluid for a while, and think that if it's gone off it would be smelling by now. I've only put one drop on the brush so it's moist, and there doesn't seem to be any residue build up on the brush (reinforcing my hypothesis that it's expensive distilled water). I've often used the brush without the fluid.

I don't think the brush needs cleaning. At times I've noticed a buildup of fluff from styli on the surface, which I've been able to pick off. Other than that, I've just held the brush upside down (when it's dry), and gently run my fingernail across the bristles so any trapped dirt will fall to the ground.

Hope this helps.

33na3rd and Leviathan like this.
  5. Wasabi

Wasabi Forum Resident Thread Starter

When you guys dry brush after ME, what brush do you use? I have an Ortofon Bronze.

Thanks for all the excellent input.

6. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

I have an AT-150 MLX cart. I flick off the dust with my microfibre record cleaning brush before every side. Then I use the Audio Technica AT637 Electronic Stylus Cleaner once a week. Been using mine since I bought it in the 80's. Always dry, but once or twice a year I use the Audio Technica stylus cleaning fluid on the 637 as well.

7. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

8. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I have used the Discwasher Stylus Brush for about 20 years, and you have to be very careful using that brush as well, as you can easily damage something using it, those bristles on that brush are very rigid!

9. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Wish I could find one of those. I don't think they make them anymore.

qwerty likes this.
  10. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

Hi guys just a quick question when you put the fluid on the brush, how long does the fluid stay on the brush, is it safe to use it as a dry brush let’s say the next day.

11. Hermetech Mastering

Hermetech Mastering Mastering Engineer

Depends on the fluid, most are alcohol based so will evaporate fairly quickly.

12. Christopher Lauher

Do you turn off your reciever every time you clean your stylus it is kind of a pain but I don’t want to blow out my speakers either

13. uzn007

My receiver has a button to mute the speakers, as have most receivers I've owned. If it didn't, I'd just turn the volume down, rather than turning it off and on to clean the stylus.

KoopaChaloopa and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. Christopher Lauher

Oh sweat thanks I didn’t even think of that.

15. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

You want sound on so you know when you make contact with stylus. I cant feel it with stylus brush

16. uzn007

That's not a bad point, actually. I might try turning the volume down to 50% of listening volume the next time I do this, which I'm guessing will not endanger my speakers.

Dreams266 likes this.
  17. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Blue Tak and the occasional dry brush (L'Art du Son Brush).

I used an Onzow for years.
    It worked fine, but it just got to the point where you couldn't really clean it anymore. Took 6+ years, though.
    I did notice that it tended to move a bit of crud to the top of the stylus/cantilever at times. But, I was also hand cleaning using MOFI velvet style brushes at tht time. Have since gone to an MW-1 for cleaning duties.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    patient_ot likes this.
  18. ZenMango

ZenMango Forum Resident

The zerodust or the Moongel. Quick and effective.
    I can’t see how anyone could damage the cantilever/stylus with these if they’re sober.

19. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

But still Zerodust Onzow ruined 2 stylii or cantilever for me the 2 times i tried it. Nothing to do with how i used it either. My experience was the exception but still needs to be known.

20. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Can you tell us how that happened and what symptoms it caused? Or a link we can click.

21. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

It was discussed in another thread. There isnt much to it though. It wrecked 2 Goldring 1042 stylii on me. No idea what caused it

22. Christopher Lauher

How many times do you guys clean your records, does it hurt or harm the record to put it through a system like spin clean a couple times?

23. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

If you don't know what caused it, how do you know it was the zerodust and not something else?

csgreene and ZenMango like this.
  24. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Why would anyone clean a record more than once? If you clean and rinse it thoroughly, and put it in a new sleeve, it should stay clean indefinitely if you handle it properly (hold the record only on the edges, keep it in the jacket, etc...)

25. Dreams266

Dreams266 Forum Resident

Simple logic:

>Stylus good
    Use Onzow
    >Stylus no good
    Theory=Onzow damaged stylus

Repeat with same results

Results Confirmed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.