Stylus slides over record surface. What happened?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FloydVivino, Oct 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Lesson for today: don't use a cheap bonded stylus, spring for a nude mount which is all diamond bonded to the cantilever, without the piece of titanium or some other metal or artificial diamond in-between.

csgreene likes this.
  2. nomad709

nomad709 Forum Resident

That's a good tip, no pun intended :laugh:

3. FloydVivino

FloydVivino Forum Resident Thread Starter

I must confess... I can't see where it is missing. I see the cantilever, I see that tip and see no missing bit - but I'm a novice!

4. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Your image below looks to be missing the diamond on the tip, note that it is flat instead of a point, as opposed to the picture below yours showing a normal bonded conical with pointed tip...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    paulybauls, csgreene, 33na3rd and 2 others like this.
  5. FloydVivino

Cartridge is a Shure M75ED Type II. Stylus is a cheapo of some sort, it came with my second-hand Technics three years ago.

Need to find a replacement. Went to Thakker.eu (I'm EU based) and all seem to be out of stock. I guess it must be another reflection of the current global supply chain crisis.

That is an issue. Don't want to purchase a Bentley gear box for an used BMW.

Ditto. You're right. But some I need to strike some sort of value-for-money balance here.

Guys, many thanks. So on to purchase. Does anyone know a reliable EU-based online merchant aside from Thakker.eu. Here I found these three specimens, two of them out of stock.

1. N 75 ED Type II Stylus for Shure M 75 ED Type 2 - Nudeline Swiss Made - €38.50 In Stock - @Davey , does this "nudeline" mean a nude stylus as you mention? It seems to cheap to be though.
    2. N 75 ED Type II Stylus for Shure M 75 ED Type 2 - Nippon Precision Stylus - €27.90 Out Of Stock
    3. N 75 ED Type II Stylus for Shure M 75 ED Type 2 - Made in Japan - €59.90 Out Of Stock

In the meantime I'll check Amazon Germany for something suitable.

6. FloydVivino

Thanks! Very thoughtful of you. Good to learn.

7. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Great thread. This forum always impresses me.

FloydVivino likes this.
  8. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

The only stylus is a jico.
    I ve been there.

Wngnt90 and FloydVivino like this.
  9. timind

timind phorum rezident

Check ebay for Shure N75e and see what comes up.

10. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

You could also use an N75EJ type, which is supposed to track a little heavier than the the ED type.

Two other sources in Europe for styli are DaCapo and MrStylus, and I'll list Thakker in this message too, Not a recommendation, just a list.

DaCapo Audio | Turntables, Cartridges, Needles, Stereo Gear & Accessories

with this well organized page of all of their options for your cart. All of these will fit and work on your cart. The ED was a particular type and quality of stylus, and there are lower and higher choices which will fit and work.
    N75 Stylus for Shure M75, M73, M71 | DaCapo Audio

https://mrstylus.com/

THAKKER – Dein Spezialist für Phono- und Audio-Zubehör | THAKKER

11. FloydVivino

Gentleman, so much for me to work with. Let me have look on all this and come back . This forum is a live saver

12. popol_vuh

popol_vuh Guest

You can't see the missing bit because it's gone.

Ripblade likes this.
  13. FloydVivino

I
    Assuming they're all reliable and trustworthy, Thakker is a good site (but somehow has one compatible available) and DaCapo have the most functional website.

So I've found this N 75 ED Type II - Nudeline Swiss Made for €38,50

[​IMG]

and also these N75ED Type 2 for Shure M75ED Type 2 group of stili below between €32 and €44:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Would that nude stylus be the real deal at that price? What about the others from DaCapo?

Any advice welcome and most appreciated!

14. drh

drh Talking Machine

To the OP: You may well know this, but just in case it's news, Shure exited the cartridge and stylus business entirely a few years ago. You won't find genuine Shure styli except as "new old stock," with a price to match, unless you get very lucky indeed. That may be why you're encountering so many "sold out" messages.

I've liked and used Shure cartridges for years and years. It was a sad day when that announcement came out.

15. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

You may be ahead to spend the money and buy a new cartridge from AT or Ortofon. I like the AT VM95ML myself (nude stylus).

timind likes this.
  16. FloydVivino

I wasn't aware of this until recently indeed. In any case, these don't pretende to be Shure and rather Shure compatible. I've been taught there a few brands in the so called stylus aftermarket, most notably Jico, Pfanstiel, EVG. And there are some renowned retailers, most them selling these bonded, up to 50euros price point, such as Thakker and DaCapo.

My questions above are a result of this. This is a huge rabbit hole of which I want to come out and pull the trigger on something convenient. Any advice on those is most welcomed otherwise I'll take the plundge ;)

17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

I have no experience with DaCapo or Thakker, but I've never seen anything bad about either company.

The one called "Black Diamond" - Nude from DaCapo and the "Nudeline" from Thakker are the same stylus from the same Swiss manufacturer, possibly in different packages, but identical. It's the real deal, and it is a nude "true" elliptical, while all others noted as "elliptical" are now starting to be called "faux elliptical", or really a chopped off conical, which is what virtually all "ellipticals" have been for many years. I think that one, from either seller, is worth the best try among the aftermarket styli. The lower price one from Tonar, a good company, is closest to what you had and should be ok, and better than what you had because it is brand new.

Your choice is between that and a new cart. With a new cart you will have to mount it and align it. The AT VM95ML would be a good choice and has a nude ML stylus, and the lower AT VM95E is closest to your old Shure with its stylus, and the AT VM95EN has a nude elliptical stylus - check that difference in price with the E and EN! Without other adjustments, the ATs will play with a hotter high end. In general, Shures were known for a soft high end, and ATs generally have a hotter high end, unless you adjust the sound in other ways at the preamp or amp, which is a different topic. If you liked the sound from your Shure, you might not want to change.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
  18. FloydVivino

This is very thoughtful John, a true gem of advice. Bless you, man!

19. FloydVivino

Pulled the trigger (the drama!) on that swiss made nude elliptical at Thakker. Worse can happen? Not much ;), don't own multi-hundred (or even multi-ten) euro records.

Thanks for all concerned especially for what I've learning in the process. Hopefully I'll be able to pay it forward!

timind likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.