Subwoofer suggestions needed.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Strat-Mangler, Jun 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

All I know is you will be cooking with grease with that REL T/9i sub, with that one, your low frequency woes will be over! So nice! :righton:

2. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

get a used REL R series

3. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

Falls short of most of my criteria.

4. Strat-Mangler

Underwhelming soundwise or only with regards to power?

5. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

I think you need to compromise and use a smartphone app as your remote. Its very difficult to even find a sub meeting your criteria AND comes with an actual IR or other wireless remote control. I'd still recommend the SVS.

EDIT: forgot you need high level input. So REL, but would be over your $1k budget.

Litejazz53 and Strat-Mangler like this.
  6. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Screw everyone else's suggestions, go Canadian!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it meets all of your criteria, with the exception that it's ported - but that's a silly must-have anyhow!

:)

Jeff

Glmoneydawg and pdxway like this.
  7. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

8. Strat-Mangler

Won't work as it doesn't have high-level inputs as per the OP.

9. Strat-Mangler

10. AKA-Chuck G

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    bever70 likes this.
  11. Strat-Mangler

12. Litejazz53

Strat-Mangler, trust the "ole" Tele-Mangler, let's get you up to date with that new T-9i, we will get it working perfectly with your system, I promise! Look at what AKA posted, the REL subs do have high level inputs, they just do it with a plug, which you configure, it's no problem. :righton:

User manual REL Acoustics T7i (15 pages)

13. Litejazz53

He will be in real good shape with either the SVS or the REL, I do like that REL, class product, however, the SVS would work like a charm! He thinks he needs these high level outputs to the sub, but he would be fine using the low level outputs, most people use low level RCA outs, either a single sub out, Tape Out, or low level R & L outputs, any of those will work fine. Hope the Strat man listens to the old Tele man.

14. AKA-Chuck G

So 7i and 9i would both work. Depends on low you want to go. :agree:

15. Strat-Mangler

Ah, I wasn't aware REL was using a different connectivity option. Just looked at a video and it's quite simple to connect and yes, would be compatible. Thanks educating me.
    True. Thanks for the info.

If I go that route, I'd need to forfeit my dream of using a remote, though. I have some time to think things through so I'm in no rush.

bever70 and avanti1960 like this.
  16. Litejazz53

You will be great with that phone app. Obviously it can be placed on any future phones, it's a cool app! Let us know what direction you take!

17. Strat-Mangler

REL subs can't be used with an app. The only REL models which have remote control capabilities in any way are 5K and up.

18. Litejazz53

Sorry about that, it was the SVS subs that have the app, I was thinking the wrong brand, so, we are back to SVS, still a GREAT sub!

19. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

Is the need for a remote so you can adjust volume from your listening position? With high level connections, wouldn't your pre-amp control the volume of the subs, same as the mains?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  20. murphythecat

rel high level input is via speak-on...

and really, a remote is useless. get a mic, measure the sub and speaker, make them flat, and you wont ever have to adjust he subs ever again...

rel r-218 use a 10 inch sealed. REL recently moved more toward passive radiator, so are not real sealed desing, but their REL T5i or previous REL-R218 are. IIRC, the REL G series are all sealed as well, but are $$$

bever70 likes this.
  21. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Consider adding a continuously variable phase control (equivalently, delay) to your list of desiderata. It's more difficult to get bass smooth in the 2 octaves or so around the xover frequency without that.

22. Strat-Mangler

Not to me. Some albums aren't consistent with the amount of bass. Abbey Road, for instance, has tracks with very little like Maxwell and some with a ridiculous amount like Here Comes The Sun. Changing the volume to make it more homogeneous in that respect is the idea.

23. Strat-Mangler

No. With my current sub, its own volume is controlled via the onboard knob.

24. murphythecat

subs do not play bass, more in the 20hz to 40hz range. its good practice to eq your sub flat or with a slight bass boost and leave it calibrated no matter the music.
    ime, when i want for more bass or less bass, its the entire bass range (40hz to 160hz) that need eq'ing

all to say that you shouldnt compromise on getting the best quality sub, rel in that instance, vs a lesser quality sub that comes with a remote...

beowulf and Strat-Mangler like this.
  25. beowulf

beowulf Forum Resident

The remote requirement makes the pickings very slim. The Rythmik Audio servo amp/subs come in either open or sealed cabinets and high level connections (need to request this type of connection when ordering). No remote, but they do have a rumble filter.

I use the drivers designed by GR Research in my Rythmik setup ... very musical, fast enough to keep up with my Omega single driver speakers and within your budget.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.