Subwoofers and diminished returns...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CitizensForBoysenberryJam, May 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CitizensForBoysenberryJam

CitizensForBoysenberryJam Forum Resident Thread Starter

Okay so currently I use 1 Infinity BU-2 in my system, I had two at one point and stupidly gave one to my then-girlfriend but am about to get another one to fill that void. I have always planned on somewhere down the line though upgrading to SVS subs...However with my current speakers the ideal crossover is around 60 HZ and this got me thinking: How much sense does it make to put so much money into something that will only be responsible for handling a very tiny percentage of the audible frequency range? I mean I’m not doubting it might make a difference but I’m feeling this might be at the very bottom of my priority list as far as planned upgrades go. Does this logic make sense?

I’m having a hard time imagining that the kind of improvements that can be made are really worth such a difference in price: roughly $1200 for a pair of SVS subs vs a pair of infinity bu-2’s which would run you about $250 tops on eBay. Im aware it’s apples and oranges, new vs used and all that jazz but just curious what others have to say about this who might have more experience with different subs than I do. From my limited understanding it would seem subwoofers have the biggest potential for diminished returns.

2. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I recently added two SVS SB1000 subs. I understand what you mean. The subs generally do produce a small percentage of the sound. But I found that the two sealed subs made noticeable improvement in my sound. Even though they are playing at a low volume relative to the main speakers, they add so much. They’ve improved my whole soundstage. When I mute them, the sound shrinks and suffers. I paid $1000 for the pair. They are great subs, especially for music.

basie-fan and Rick58 like this.
  3. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

You currently have one sub; you used to have two. So you don't need to be sold on the concept.

I've never heard that Infinity sub but I looked it up to get a sense of what we're talking about.

I suspect that, for a lot of music listening, upgrading to a pair of SVS, while an improvement, will not be vastly so - all in the context of your initial post.

Mind you some people hear vast improvements just by swapping out a cable. I suspect that the law of diminishing returns would be broken in their case, were they in your position.

Jeff

4. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

At that price you could get a set of new Wharfedale Lintons which sound super super SUPER nice, ported down around 40 Hz, no subwoofer needed unless you're into long organ pipes, full crank movies explosions, and so on.

- Or just get the other Infinity sub, because you'll still be happier. Then, since it is a command from the audio gods to NOT be happy, you must download REW, buy a mic, and spend inordinate amounts of time with placement and crossovers to optimize resposne.

Your speakers have thin fabric rolls and surely not the most linear magnetic system, plus not the sturdiest cabinets on Earth. Then again, there IS something about the sound of those light woofers in big cabinets which is kind of cool.

I've posted before that my best friend's husband couldn't decide what to buy. Money was not a problem but he had never thought about stereo vs. 5.1 or form factor or heck anything. So as a temporary stopgap, I took his (rather similar to yours) speakers and added internal bracing, then anti-vibration coating all over the inside, then stuffed them full of fiberglass. The difference was shocking, even to me as a loudspeaker engineer. She called me a few days later and said he was re-listening to all his music. 16ish "temporary" years later, he just won't sell them. If you feel even slightly handy, DO IT. (One warning: get a big piece of wood or book or something, cover woofer and surround when unscrewing the woofer to get inside and when screwing it back on!!!!)

timind likes this.
  5. Gso-Rob

Gso-Rob Member

I run with a pair of 2x10 Triangle subwoofers. Next to my main Cabasse Clipper3 They cut in nicely 25- 120 Hz

6. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

in a small room limited returns- assuming your infinity sub is perfectly, seamlessly integrated. if not i would recommend one decent sub for your room that has the capability to blend perfectly- either a REL t7i (supposedly very easy to integrate and very punchy) or an SVS SB 2000 Pro (has a complete set of integration adjustments with the mobile app).

7. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Or... cup the screwdriver shaft with your hand, side of the palm down (thumb up) facing away from the woofer, with nothing but the screw head outwards showing, such that when the screwdriver slips (and it most certainly will), its tip impales the soft flesh of your palm, and not the woofer's surround or cone.

:)

Jeff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

avanti1960 likes this.
  8. Boysenberry, I have nice full range towers with good low bass, even in my large, main, room. After years of enjoyment I made what I think might be my final upgrade with SVS's top-end, sealed, 16" woofer, the SB16-Ultra. I've three medium-fi, smaller, systems in other rooms. In every case, a sub was well worthwhile - even in the small computer room.

The cheaper systems were fine with the low-end ($200 & less) subs, that offer only volume, x-over Hz, and phase adjustments. The main system's large room with better quality and full-range sound required the more precise adjustments available with the SVS. It made a noticeable improvement when the musical content has genuine low bass.

If you're satisfied with your main speakers and not planning an upgrade soon, I'd estimate another BU-2 would be a better value, since you already have one. Of course you could always go bottom-up, sell the Infinity and get a really good sub to build upon. Otherwise, an expensive sub may not pay right now.

9. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

...instead of a piece of wood or a book? Sir, you seem like a special target market, may I interest you in a custom tour of Inquisition-era Spanish dungeons? My leather-clad hooded assistants will cater to your every whim...
    :yikes:

10. Ralph Karsten

Ralph Karsten Forum Resident

A sub you might look into is the Swarm. Its four subs but they are small and easy to place. And relatively inexpensive.

The thing about a sub is that below about 80Hz, bass is omnidirectional. So they all can be fed by a mono source. What you might really be asking yourself is 'if bass is omnidirectional below 80Hz, why bother having a speaker that goes much lower than that for the main speakers?'

jfine likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.