Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension (25 Sep 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Moth, Jun 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

God, this album is so long.
    First time I've checked for Sufjan on release but I'm giving it a go.

Run Away With Me & Video Game are really great but I know the rest won't be so accessible.

whisper3978 and Lilainjil like this.
  2. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Pretty sure he's quarantined with Bjork for this.....I'm really enjoying it production wise its great

Zongadude likes this.
  3. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

It’s sounding a bit too laptoppy so far on third listen. :(

good interview in the Guardian newspaper/online.

Ludger likes this.
  4. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

The Ascension is my favorite track, and I don't think that's going to change with multiple plays.

5. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Posting this after the first listen of this massive 80-minute record: I'm bewildered. I felt like I was getting it in the last third or so of the record but I am still not sure exactly what all of this is. I fully expect to be embarrassed by this point of view with time.

whisper3978 likes this.
  6. Ludger

Ludger ISthisALLreal, ISthisALLnecessary, ORisTHISaJOKE?

7. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I got the vinyl today, just put it on and will report back on how it sounds. I love the 2 singles they've been playing on 6Music.

It's Felix likes this.
  8. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

I’ve listened to this now 3 or 4 times and it’s really growing on me. The vinyl sounds great, it’s just not the best pressing (although I think generally his records suffer from poor QC).

It's Felix likes this.
  9. Pollyjean

Pollyjean Forum Resident

Is this the clear pressing or the black one?

10. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Black vinyl

11. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Did anyone else get this on vinyl?

12. It's Felix

Yep clear. Not opened yet....

13. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Do you think it’s a good vinyl investment, Porkpie, as opposed to a hi rez digital?

14. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Based on the copy I have, I’d say if you want to emerge yourself in the music, go digital. I’m considering whether to swap my copy and see if I was just unlucky or just refund it. Either way, I have Flac files so if I can’t get a good pressing I’ll save my money and stream it.

Chemguy likes this.
  15. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Let me know how your pressing is.

16. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The album is no. 32 this week on the ARIA album chart.

Strangely, out of curiosity I checked the UK and the US charts and it does not appear to be on either of them. I would have expected to see him on the US chart. Something to do with the timing of the chart dates maybe?

Incidentally I note that ARIA have revamped their charts website and I am now quite impressed with the ergonomics. Have a look:
    ARIA Charts

I don't know how many times I have been browsing a music chart and scrolled down towards the end only to have to scroll up again to check what the three numbers refer to. "15 3 12". Does that mean it's been on the charts for 15 weeks and peaked at no. 3? Or was it 15 last week, been on the charts for 3 weeks, and peaked at no. 12? The new ARIA layout makes it easy to see at a glance everything about the entry you are looking at, without having to scroll back to the top.

17. It's Felix

Morning, I have the clear vinyl and gave it a first listen last night. I was very pleased, sounds great, didn't hear any pops or crackles or the like. No I need to listen again to fully analyse - but on first listen it sounds great. So maybe you could replace your dodgy copy?

18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Thanks! I’m guessing you got an EU pressing.

19. It's Felix

I assume so, bought from Crash records in Leeds, on line. Rough trade have the clear vinyl available still.

Porkpie likes this.
  20. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

This sounds like a hot mess based on my first listen...I’m really hoping I have egg on my face in a few weeks.

21. Vox78

Vox78 Forum Resident

The 20 minutes of the final two tracks sound great , admittedly.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  22. redeyedandblue

redeyedandblue Forum Resident

I’ve also got the EU clear pressing. My copy has a little bit of light crackle and a few ticks and pops but nothing too distracting. I’d call it a decent pressing, but not pristine (though a run through the cleaner might get it there).

Package as a whole is very nice - tip-on gatefold sleeve, 16-page booklet *and* a 24/48 FLAC download code included. And all for under £25, so no real complaints here.

Zongadude and It's Felix like this.
  23. I-OD

I-OD Forum Resident

Clean version here, no clicks or pops... But unfortunately it seems compressed like crazy, love the music after streaming the album for a couple of days. I had high hopes that the vinyl would open up the dynamics in the songs, unfortunately that’s not the case with the the vinyl release. BRICKWALLED!

24. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great listen, perfect timing to digest it’s beauty.

Oyster Boy and I-OD like this.
  25. EndoftheWorld

EndoftheWorld Member

I love the album. My black vinyl has a lot of crackling unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.