Sugar Hill Records ( In Praise of )

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lazydawg58, Sep 27, 2022.

1. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know Thread Starter

Sugar Hill was (is) one of my favorite independent record labels. If memory serves me it started in the 1970s when Barry Poss left County Records and moved South to Durham. There he created a label that featured both new releases and reissues for a variety of acoustic oriented artists, many of them Bluegrass but also singer / songwriters, folk, and various other roots music. Eventually like almost all of the successful independents it was bought up by one of the conglomerates. I believe Welk bought them just before the turn of the century, then Concord bought them and merged them with Rounder. And I believe Concord is owned by Universal?

Anyway, I have a bunch of the albums and I'm always on the lookout for more. I'll post one of my favorites that I have entered in my DISCOGS. While most used acoustic music LPs are fairly inexpensive, this one goes for (relatively speaking) a lot. It is a great album! I hope others will add stories, favorite albums and artists etc to the thread.
    Tony Rice – Church Street Blues
    [​IMG]
    More images

Label: Sugar Hill Records (2) – SH-3732
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1983
    Genre: Folk, World, & Country
    Style: Bluegrass, Folk

jonathan, McLover, mraulino and 4 others like this.
  2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

If I see a used copy of a CD on Sugar Hill, I'm happy to take the risk & pick it up even if I've never heard of the performer.

3. lazydawg58

It is hard to go wrong!

DaveJ and carlwm like this.
  4. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I have a bunch by Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, Tim O'Brien, Doc Watson, Tony Rice, etc.

5. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All great performers!

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I have a good old hippy friend who absolutely loves these people. He has a massive record collection of stuff on labels like Flying Fish, Rounder and I'm sure Sugar Hill with musicians like these on. He's seen some of them live too, in England and America. I always love hearing the music around his, but it's not easy to obtain or know where to go with it.

lazydawg58 and carlwm like this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All very worthy labels if you like American acoustic music. Mind blowing selection of performers between them.

I've been lucky enough to see a bunch of Sugar Hill acts live too. One that's eluded me though is Chris Hillman, annoyingly. Love to catch him at some point. I was hoping he'd come across to the UK to promote his most recent album or maybe his memoir. No such luck though. Given he'll be seventy-eight later this year, I fear I may be running out of time.

McLover, lazydawg58 and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's hard to imagine now unfortunately. My friend saw Gene Clark supporting Lindisfarne.

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

So did I. Swansea, 1985! :righton:

I had no idea who he was and can remember thinking, "I hope this scruffy herbert doesn't detain us long." By the end though, just like the rest of the audience, I was on my feet bellowing for more. He was outstanding!

lazydawg58 and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

He was only there for Gene Clark, sadly outside of a couple of songs he doesn't like Lindisfarne. He's very biased towards US & Canadian acts and against UK ones after the 60s. His favourites include Doc Watson, John Hartford, Gordon Lightfoot, Steve Goodman, Guy Clark, Gove Scrivenor, John Prine, Iris Dement and all the great bluegrass pickers. His record collection is colossal!

11. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Good thing I did some research; I thought we were talking about this Sugar Hill Records.

[​IMG]

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Shame that your friend doesn't like Lindisfarne! I'm off to see them again next month.

Rod Clements wrote a song about Gene Clark on that tour - Cowboy In The Rain - which appeared on his solo album, Stamping Ground.

Interesting list. I don't know Gove Scrivenor and despite knowing City Of New Orleans for decades, I've only just started exploring Steve Goodman's music. The rest are great, though. Funnily enough, I was listening to John Hartman, or at least, his albums with Rodney & Doug Dillard, earlier this evening.

13. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

:yikes:

The Sneak, lazydawg58 and mBen989 like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Gove Scrivenor is very obscure, but he recorded two albums on Flying Fish in the late 70s that he played me and I really like the best stuff on them. He plays autoharp beautifully. I had to include someone obscure to do my friend justice! Surprisingly there's a little concert by him on YouTube, if you don't have time for the whole thing, check out the last song with Doc Watson at 19 minutes. Gorgeous.

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Nice one, Cheers!

I'll have a listen in the morning. :righton:

16. StarThrower62

I have those on the 2-fer CD, Solid Gove. Great stuff! I love his baritone vocals and he's great at playing various styles including blues, country, folk, and bluegrass. Lots of great players on those albums including Doc Watson, Buddy Emmons, etc.

Man at C&A and carlwm like this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

There are a bunch of intriguing names on the Sugar Hill roster that I don't know - The Austin Lounge Lizards, Donna The Buffalo etc. Be interesting to go through all the artists I haven't heard and try and find something to listen to.

lazydawg58 likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Somehow my friend managed to get doubles of both the albums on vinyl, which can't be easy in the UK and he gave me them both. I really like his voice too. I can't say I like everything on them, but there are plenty of fine tracks.

19. lazydawg58

Another good label, but yes, completely different!

20. StarThrower62

That Austin City Limits show is where I first heard him 40 years ago. I never forgot his name so when I stumbled upon the CD in a local store almost 20 years later I bought it.

carlwm and lazydawg58 like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

My friend heard the record playing in a bar in Atlanta on holiday, two years later he went back, having forgotten Gove's unusual name, and they were still playing his records there. He bought both LPs then in Atlanta and still plays them.

carlwm, lazydawg58 and StarThrower62 like this.
  22. lazydawg58

Chris Hillman did some wonderful Sugar Hill albums. This one is my favorite. In his autobiography he was very complementary of Barry Poss and the Sugar Hill label. He said there was no pressure to try and produce a particular sound (commercial sound) but instead was told to record what he wanted. They agreed on financial terms and Sugar Hill would put it out.
    Chris Hillman – Morning Sky
    [​IMG]
    More images

Label: Sugar Hill Records (2) – SH-3729
    Format:
    Vinyl, LP, Album
    Released: 1982
    Genre: Folk, World, & Country
    Style: Bluegrass, Country Rock

23. lazydawg58

Donna the Buffalo is one of the best band names! I've not seen them live but have friends that have. For many years they hosted a festival not too far from where I live but I've never been able to make it. I do have one of their CDs and use to listen to it fairly often. I guess you could call them an Americana band?

carlwm likes this.
  24. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

That's a wonderful record. Herb Pedersen's Sugar Hill album, Lonesome Feeling, has a similar vibe too, I reckon.

It was nice to hear Chris being so positive about his Sugar Hill experience. He wasn't always overly complimentary about his record labels. :)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  25. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Sounds intriguing. I'll look them up.

lazydawg58 likes this.