Super-duper supergroups, which one was the most «super»?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TinMachine, Feb 13, 2022.

1. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Alan Parsons Project only had two official members (Alan Parsons and Eric Wolfson) and lots of session men and guests, even though many of them appeared on most albums. Parsons was not known as a musician and Wolfson was pretty much anonymous when the band was formed.

Say It Right likes this.
  2. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Trio of Doom

John McLaughlin
    Jaco Pastorius
    Tony Williams

Short-lived and better on paper than in reality, but potentially extra super.

3. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

The answer is so clearly The Traveling Wilbury’s but I’m surprised no one has mentioned the
    Foo Fighters. A band consisting of one part Nirvana, one part The Germs, and two parts Sunny Day Real Estate. They have inarguably had the largest career of any super group I can think of.

4. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

I suppose it was just for two shows, but the band Steve Hackett but together for his Tokyo concerts was a real supergroup:

Hackett- Genesis, solo and GTR
    John Wetton - King Crimson, UK, Asia
    Ian McDonald - King Crimson, Foreigner
    Chester Thompson - Zappa, Weather Report, Genesis
    Julian Colbeck - John Miles , Anderson Bruford, Wakeman and Howe, plus Hackett's band.

And they delivered great shows.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    MrCJF, penguinzzz and Cledwyn like this.
  5. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

6. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

Probably because when the Foo Fighters started, it was just Dave Grohl. (For 99.5 % of the first album. Greg Duli from the Afghan Wigs played a couple of guitar parts.) The rest were brought in as backing musicians when he needed to tour. By the second album, then they became a “real” band, but again, that lineup only lasted for one album.

ndoheny likes this.
  7. Sex Lies And Master Tapes

Sex Lies And Master Tapes Gaulois réfractaire

V.S.O.P. quintet :

Herbie Hancock
    Wayne Shorter
    Freddie Hubbard
    Ron Carter
    Tony Williams

8. penguinzzz

penguinzzz Forum Resident

Now this is the kind of thing I look for in my supergroups :)

MrCJF, arthurprecarious and mcnpauls like this.
  9. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

There has been a lot of lineup changes but 3 out of the 4 are still in the lineup today and all 4 on their biggest album. I don’t think they viewed themselves as a super group but looking back the band consisted of major members of three seminal bands.

10. mcnpauls

mcnpauls Forum Resident

Fixed! But the image of them bringing footwear to the home will stay with me now.

penguinzzz likes this.
  11. mtvgeneration

mtvgeneration Forum Resident

I like the list in the original post. It would make a good start for evaluating on member talent.

The Traveling Wilburys must be one of the strongest bands ever, supergroup or otherwise, in songwriting ability, even with some of the members long past their writing prime. However, even the best songs on Volume 1 don't approach the lyrical greatness on members' own albums. And Volume 3 is a dud. Yet another supergroup that didn't try very hard to do its best and existed mainly to have fun.

Bad English had 2 very good songwriters with a knack for writing hits (in a genre and era people here don't seem to like). The band also had a very high level of musicianship (including a quality vocalist, unlike many supergroups). And it was an official 5-band unit, which is very large by supergroup standards and gave it extra firepower.

I don't know which supergroup had the most talent on the instruments. There are some 'supergroups' in this thread that I've never heard of.