Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

This is cool. They made a music video for the opening track, and it's about 5X as long:

zakyfarms likes this.
  2. joey essex

https://twitter.com/superfurry/status/1488205754117070849?s=21

Cian offering pre-Creation stuff if people donate to a fundraiser.

I guess that’s a way to get some attention.

3. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

4. joey essex

I suspect he doesn't really think he's getting 50,000 donations either, but I can't help but take the bait. Clearly the other hundred Tweets about the fundraiser weren't getting much traction. The stuff's out there at least...

Beaker73 likes this.
  5. SUPER_MARIO

SUPER_MARIO Well-Known Member

It's nice to know that something like that might be in the works eventually but it doesn't look like that fundraiser has any chance of meeting its goal. I contributed but the dial has barely moved since he tweeted about it last night.

joey essex likes this.
  6. joey essex

Got my copy and it’s beautiful, both visually and sound wise. Highly recommend it even if you’re paying 2X like me.

[​IMG]

7. joey essex

8. joey essex

Very likely, unfortunately.

9. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

It's on the US RSD page, so doesn't that mean it'll be available stateside?

10. joey essex

11. joey essex

Of No Fixed Identity, by Super Furry Animals

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  12. joey essex

I had no idea that stuff was ever put to tape. I wonder how much more there is. I wonder if they have recordings of the France electronic stuff Cian & Bunf did.

13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

It's a fun track. Bought the download ofcourse for a more than £1. And to my pleasant surprise the flace file was 24/44.1.

14. joey essex

Yeah I figured it’d sound like a demo. Seems like they intended to release it? And interesting that one of their first b-aides/singles is a callback to this. they definitely went to the right vocalist. Rhys just doesn’t have THE voice.

15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Agreed, Gruff is way better as a lead vocalist. But apart from that, they seem to hve arrived fully formed. Love the phasey effects on the back up vocals.

Allchurch and joey essex like this.
  16. joey essex

There are a couple songs on that Peth album I really like, but I’m not sure if Mr Ifans sings on them.

sounds like daf on the verses and Rhys on the chorus. Yeah, this albums actually pretty decent. Weird, a bit spotty, but not bad for a jokey album featuring a kind of annoying celebrity. There really is an SFA sound that carries through all the projects……….

17. OwnedByAnAustrian

OwnedByAnAustrian Forum Resident

It’s hard to believe we got Hey Venus, Candylion, The Golden Mile, Stainless Style and Dark Days/Light Years in the space of about two years. All fantastic works.

ad180 likes this.
  18. Allchurch

Allchurch Forum Resident

19. joey essex

I just noticed the lyric “apathy only ruined me” in that song. Damn. Deep lore.

20. joey essex

Gruff Rhys - People Are Pissed

New Gruff single, release on cassette.

Allchurch likes this.
  21. joey essex

I'm pretty pissed too. Not gonna lie.

22. joey essex

Seeking New Gods is the first Gruff LP I keep returning to since the very first LP. It's so good. I'd kind of given up on the idea of loving any of his solo stuff after a while. I do wish he could find a way to make his lyrics more personal or relatable--I think that's his biggest weakness as a songwriter, but "loan me your unholy lonely loneliness" is a pretty fun lyric to sing. The band and Gruff have a really good thing going on otherwise. The sound is familiar, yet new. There's personality and muscle on the tracks that the earlier LPs kind of lack.

Chris Bernhardt and TheWarmth like this.
  23. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I like it a lot, too. Probably one of his best, if not the best, solo album so far. Curious how this forthcoming soundtrack album will be. I like the two songs from the single. I still keep my fingers crossed that SFA will eventually get back together, but it's feeling very unlikely right now.

joey essex likes this.
  24. joey essex

With Gruff out there on his own and DK, which is everyone else, supposedly recording, it almost seems pointless as sad as that sounds.

I don't really get what's keeping Gruff from recording with the other four, but that's probably a deep issue none of us will ever be part of... It's pretty clear that's the only reason SFA aren't a thing and Das Koolies are a thing....if Das Koolies are still a thing since we haven't actually heard anything from or about them in 2 years.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022