Super Furry Animals

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vince, Dec 24, 2011.

1. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

I came here to post this, you said it better than I could. This is a proper record that compells you to listen in it's entirety. It feels like a journey ending with something like an Eno Far Away Beach or Tiger Mountain. I like all his solo stuff, but aside from a few stand out songs on certain albums, Gruff's solo stuff can easily become background music. New Gods stands among some of the best Super Furry records. I do wish it was better produced, of course it doesn't need to be polished, but I find the production flat. The drums especially wear a bit thin after a while, I do like that Friedman, big wide open roomy drum sound, but it's not properly rendered here.

What are some of people's favourite Gruff solo tracks?

I love Walk Into The Wilderness (top solo song?), I-O-L-O and Shark Ridden Waters.

2. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Negative Vibes is a perfect song.

3. OwnedByAnAustrian

OwnedByAnAustrian Forum Resident

Got the SFA half-album/EP/comp that came out for Record Store Day today. Despite the brevity (seven songs listed, all previously released), it’s a fun thing to listen to.

Defrance likes this.
  4. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

Eventually, people will realise they were our generation’s Beatles for over twice as long as the Beatles were their generation’s Beatles.

5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

A better choice for RSD, imho

[​IMG]

6. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

There's a hidden track on the second side, which I don't think was ever previously released.

7. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

It's part of the Menu Music Medley on the deluxe Rings Around The World reissue.

Defrance and Rekkerds like this.
  8. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I've been told Cian and Kliph are working on a collection of pre-Creation stuff.

octophone, zakyfarms, Scope J and 2 others like this.
  9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I actually would argue that the material on the RSD release is better than that early single. Tradewinds, Roman Road, Edam Anchorman and Patience are all absolutely incredible songs. I am not a big fan of Gipsy Space Muffin, but overall it's incredible considering they're all b-sides.

Greg(ory), vince, Defrance and 2 others like this.
  10. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Heck yeah, I made a cd-r back in the day with all these tracks and played it often. I am very pleased to have 'm on vinyl now. It makes for a fun little album.

Greg(ory) and dthomas850 like this.
  11. OwnedByAnAustrian

Yeah, I was being coy as I didn’t want to spoil the surprise ;)

12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

I agree on the quality of the tracks, but none of them are hard to come by, and they were all re-issued just last year, whereas the early EPs have been out of print for decades, contain unique material that's never been reissued, and have unique vinyl-specific features (e.g. locked grooves) that lend themselves to limited edition replicas.

Maybe when they finally get around to compiling the pre-Creation material . . .

Scope J likes this.
  13. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

They weren't reissued on vinyl. "Brawd Bach" translates to "Little Brother" in Welsh. For the "little brother" to Rings Around The World, I think it does a good job. I know Kliph has put together "little brothers" for the other 3 albums that have been reissued so far and is hopeful that BMG will release those as well. As far as the early stuff, I believe I mentioned before, but Cian and Kliph are working on a collection of the Ankst EPs and other unreleased stuff from that era. Last I heard, there was one session that Kliph was still trying to find the tapes for.

Defrance and dthomas850 like this.
  14. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

I’ve always considered all those B-sides etc to be part of the album.

my solar system includes Pluto and my RATW includes Tradewinds into The Roman Road, with an endless outro loop of All The **** U Do.

MitchLT, Tim Simmons and dthomas850 like this.
  15. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Ok so…I got a 3rd copy of rings around the world reissue as people on here said there are no issues but still I’ve got huge crackling noise in the left channel on the second half of A Touch Sensitive through Shoot Doris Day…it’s eventually quietens down halfway through that latter but the crackling for about 3 minutes is unbearable and completely unacceptable. I can’t believe people on here got decent copies…maybe some think it’s faux noise as part of the recording I don’t know? I can’t believe there are copies out there that don’t have the issue as it seems like it’s a metalwork issue considering it’s exactly the same place on all 3 copies? Maybe @GeorgeZ can advise? Matrix numbers are 225030E2 and 949973.

16. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

Did they give up on das Koolies

17. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

No.

18. OwnedByAnAustrian

Wikipedia seems to think that the Das Koolies activity means SFA are done, and refers to the band in the past tense.

19. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

I'm sure that's the opinion of the person who wrote that. Being that they've never announced that they've broken up, I'll take that over some rando writing something on Wikipedia. Maybe I'll edit their page to say they have a new album coming out next week. That would be as valid as whoever said they've broken up.

realkilroy likes this.
  20. joey essex

joey essex Forum Resident

Awesome news. Ever since that new Pale Blue Dots track I’ve been dying to hear more from Bunf. That track really impressed me.

21. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Somewhat reluctantly bought Out Spaced and Hey Venus on LP today. They're pricey records and have them on CD, and like the original Rings is probably a 44.1 transfer. Anyone have an LP of either and can share thoughts about sound quality?

I really like a few tracks on Venus. Run Away for some reason I can't quite fathom is a top SFA track, also love Suckers, The Gateway Song and Show Your Hand. An under appreciated album.

Defrance and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  22. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Out Spaced sounds pretty bad because it's nearly an hour of music crammed onto one really thin LP.

dubious title likes this.
  23. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Out Spaced could use a vinyl reissue … with the tracks, er, spaced out a bit more.

shmuckler and dubious title like this.
  24. ralphie

ralphie Forum Resident

Probably not going to happen as BMG own the rights to the Creation songs on the comp. and SFA own the Ankst songs.

25. Jeepster39

Jeepster39 Forum Resident

I recently ordered a copy of Out Spaced myself. Waiting for it to arrive from Germany.