Superbowl Half-time Shows

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FaithMonkey, Jun 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I agree in theory, but I think the NFL has tried to get away from the "dinosaur" acts of the 60s/70s.

I think the NFL embraced those artists after the Janet thing because they felt "safe", but since the Who played in 2010, no 60s/70s acts have headlined halftime.

Heck, outside of Madonna, no one from the 80s has headlined since then either!

It's all been 90s/00s acts as headliners.

So I'd be surprised to see them hire Elton - they seem to want a younger audience for halftime, and even though "Rocketman" has done decent business, he's not gonna draw that crowd.

If the movie had done "Boh Rhap" business, I could see it, but "Rocketman" hasn't been nearly as successful...

2. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Prince was my fave, and I was not a particularly big fan of his before seeing it.

Biggest disappointment for me was The Who. After a lot of good shows by artists from their era (McCartney, Stones, etc), their set was a weird medley of their hits. Wasn't exactly bad, just not as good as the others.

3. the jesus abyss

the jesus abyss Forum Resident

Prince, by a country mile.

I did enjoy seeing the Boss slide & wipe out a camera-man though.

mmars982 likes this.
  4. WhoAreYou

WhoAreYou Soul Survivor

Absolutely.

5. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

The Bad Brains halftime performance in 1987 was stellar!

:--)

6. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

And I think this is a mistake since a lot of these legends are in their twilight of performing and can draw an audience who cant be arsed to watch Black Eyed Peas or Katy Perry, two halftime performers who are essentially over (poor BEP couldn't even muster a top 200 debut with their latest) so why not snatch them while they can the way they did Petty and Prince

Hopefully the lackluster reception to Timberlake and Maroon 5's shows will make them realize it's okay to mix and match. One year a legend and the next being a present day superstar again and again would be beneficial

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

Yeah, but nowadays they replay every single play at least once during the game. How many highlights does the average person need at halftime?

8. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Stones
    Boss

Nothing else.

9. Bill Diercks

Bill Diercks Forum Resident

Prince was great. Some other ones were horrible (Aerosmith, Black Eyed Peas, Madonna).

Rollie likes this.
  10. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Yeah it does seem the nfl is done booking the classic rock acts for the superbowl, but still, kinda mind boggling he wasn't considered at the time

11. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I wish rock bands wouldn't do it.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Michael Jackson. I was there and it seemed surreal. I still have my ticket stub. I paid a season ticket holder double the face price of $175.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.