Supergrass reportedly to reunite

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by modrevolve, Sep 3, 2019.

1. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

If true, a most welcome comeback. Saw them open for the Foo Fighters back in 97 in support of "In it For the Money" and was hooked.

2. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Phenomenal record as is Road to Rouen as posted below. Now maybe they will start to kick the Deluxe reissue program back in motion.

Fuzzbee, Curiosity and Strummergas like this.
  3. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Yes!!! Great band. Really hope they decide to record some new material as well.

ARK, RickH and longdist01 like this.
  4. Great news. New music and vinyl reissues would be welcome!

5. grouploner

grouploner Forum Resident

/
    I really enjoyed the two Danny Goffey solo records that came out after the break, and thought they carried a lot of the fun and spirit of the first Supergrass album. Nothing earth shattering, but I liked them a lot, especially the Vangoffey disc.

Get To Know Ex-Supergrass Drummer-Turned-Frontman Danny Goffey

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
    longdist01 likes this.
  6. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Yeah I saw Danny on that tour, but his music is too silly and Gaz's too serious, Supergrass were the perfect blend with Mick glueing them together.

7. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

MASSIVE. please come to NYC. easily in my personal top 10. not one bad record

Strummergas likes this.
  8. cyril sneer

cyril sneer Forum Resident

Utterly predictable. What band these days doesn't split up and then have a money spinning reunion a decade down the line? I do welcome Supergrass back though. Like others on here has said, I think they are one of the most underrated bands from the UK. They were always fun to watch live and their albums were fun too as opposed to the arrogance of Oasis and the pretentiousness of Radiohead.

9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I heard too.. can't have helped that developing those soundscapes & rhythms into actual songs was proving challenging too.

I liken it to Radiohead recording Kid A.. at some points in those sessions, Radiohead could easily have broken up due to the sheer frustration of trying to translate the sounds into tracks.. but they persisted, and it proved to be a turning point and the start of a new era for them.

Same with U2 & Achtung Baby.. again, a big departure which could have broken them up.

I can hear (from the clips online) the sound of Supergrass trying to go somewhere new for them, but maybe it just hadn't coalesced into something when they called it quits.

Ahh the dangers of reinvention...

drivingfrog and LesMcQueen like this.
  10. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

does feel a bit early for a reunion, as pleased as I am about it.

11. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE This be true!!

12. cyril sneer

I dunno. ten years will be a good rounded number and the gap seems to be about par for these greatest hits reunions.

drivingfrog likes this.
  13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Right up in my personal top 5 of "Bands/people I never got to see live" so really hoping I get the chance to put that right soon!

drivingfrog, Hootsmon and zither like this.
  14. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

A Top 5 of the era.

15. cyril sneer

Yep, In It For The Money was their best album in my opinion, but I also have a soft spot for Life On Other Planets. Some great songs on that album.

In It For The Money
    Life On Other Planets
    I Should Coco
    Road To Rouen
    Diamond Hoo Ha
    Supergrass

16. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

For me it's:

I Should Coco 5/5
    Road To Rouen 5/5
    IIFTM 4/5
    Supergrass 4/5
    Diamond Hoo Ha 4/5
    LOOP 4/5

All brilliant though.

drivingfrog likes this.
  17. zither

zither Forum Resident

I always thought 'Sofa (Of My Lethargy)' was an early indication of their talent. One of my favourite bands of the 90's for sure.

18. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

One of the most mature recordings I've ever heard relative to the age of the people who made it.

drivingfrog and zither like this.
  19. KaptKopter

KaptKopter Forum Resident

I agree, I find 'Caught by the fuzz' despite its lyrics musically very interesting for guys who were writing in their teens, especially the acoustic version, some really interesting chord changes there:

drivingfrog, OobuJoobu and zither like this.
  20. robbroncs

robbroncs Forum Disgrace

one of my most cherished sections in my library

[​IMG]

21. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

Hands down!

E_Braunn_Fan and Purple Jim like this.
  22. Strummergas

Strummergas Senior Member

I wasn't aware there were rules regarding when musicians can and can't play together again.

23. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

Someone's tired

24. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

Great news. I saw Supergrass when they were very young supporting Shed Seven. I knew immediately who had the best songs !
    In response to an earlier post, I also saw The Libertines at Leeds Uni, but they were supporting The Strokes !
    Libertines were awful. It was only later I found out who it had been...

25. GubGub

GubGub Forum Resident

I saw them supported by The Libertines in London (at the Forum* I think). It was before the Libertines were really known beyond readers of the music weeklies. It was certainly before their first album came out. They were shambolic but fascinating live. Supergrass were terrific. There was another support band too but I can't remember who it was.

I also saw Supergrass at one of their last shows touring the Diamond Hoo Haa album. The record wasn't great. The show was angry and confrontational and the band had clearly had enough of each other. Join the dots as to why they broke up at that point, though like many bands before and since, they maybe just needed a break rather than throwing the towel in completely.

* Looks like it was actually Shepherds Bush Empire in 2002

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    MarkTWIC likes this.