Superhero Burnout

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

I do not intend for this to be a negative thread as I have really enjoyed most superhero movies I have seen, but right now I feel no desire to watch any. I know there are some really good ones that I have not seen yet (like Black Panther) but I have just gotten a little burned out on the genre.

I know this is a temporary thing and at some point I will catch up, but for now am just a little tired of watching the rampant mass destruction. Again, I am not saying these are bad movies but I am currently enjoying dramas and comedies.

Is anybody else in the same boat?

2. stanley00

stanley00 Forum Resident

Not really. It’s pretty easy to ignore super hero movies and tv shows.

Yovra, Manimal, mr. steak and 4 others like this.
  3. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I lost interest several years ago. I'm happy for the fans though that enjoy them.

4. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

5. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Not me. Bring 'em on.

There's been a few I've waited on; Aquaman comes to mind. I was glad I saw it but didn't regret waiting a few weeks. I've got no desire to see Shazam, though.

When it comes to the Marvel flicks, though, I won't miss 'em. We'll see how that might change after the Spiderman sequel this summer.

electricmetaphor likes this.
  6. Tony Glass

Tony Glass Forum Resident

Have been a fan of superheroes and comic books all my life and love that we are getting tons of well made movies these days, but I also don't feel compelled to see all of them. I watch what appeals to me, but skip a ton of it. More choices to me does not mean I have to see it all.

Old Rusty and seed_drill like this.
  7. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i checked out at iron man 2......but tbh i dont know if i was ever really in :shrug:

Bluesman Mark likes this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not really, as long as I’m entertained.

vinnie likes this.
  9. FredV

FredV Senior Member

10. Raylinds

I wish that I could like this a thousand times.

11. Raylinds

See, maybe this is my problem- I feel compelled to see everything, and in chronological order. I think I put too much pressure on myself. :p

12. mj_patrick

mj_patrick Senior Member

I don't necessarily go nuts over every superhero film, but there are at least a couple of great Marvel superhero films a year. I've liked almost all of the Sony X-Men and Spider-Man films as well.

With that said, I really can't get into most all of the DC films. I can't stand what they're doing with Batman and Superman. Which is ironic, because the original movies for both were great.

13. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I enjoy comic book flicks and haven't grown tired of them at all! :)

14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I can hear the pitch now... Superhero Burnout, it's a movie about a world in which there are just too many Superheroes, every couple of blocks there's another battle for the fate of the planet, they're on every magazine cover and newspaper headline story, and the super pets are getting out of hand too! And what is up with all these capes! Who wears capes? Air traffic control can't cope with all the flying bodies most days! Would you want to live next door to the guy with X-ray vision?

MJConroy, EVOLVIST and Raylinds like this.
  15. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

There were really only six or so superhero movies released in all of 2018.

Not really that much.

Maybe it's the media attention to superhero movies you are sick of rather than the movies themselves.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I watch what looks good and avoid what doesn’t. I haven’t been burned yet.

17. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

Only six? It feels more like six dozen - mostly because the multiplexes are playing more than three different versions of the same movie (standard, IMAX, 3-D, etc). As for the "media attention" - that's paid for by the parent company producing most of the superhero movies - Disney (who own Marvel...and ABC and...). Then there's the inescapable product tie ins, movie trailers, and toys.

All that aside, six superhero movies released in a single year is a considerable number. Used to be one or two superhero movies each summer were big deals - and today, we're getting them year round. So I believe anyone suffering from "Superhero Burnout" comes by it honestly, like the flu. I liked a lot of the movies, but each time I see a new trailer my first thought is either "Oh, this again" or "Who IS this superhero?"

I'm telling ya, I never thought I'd ever get to point where a new Godzilla or James Bond movie would constitute a nice change of pace...(haha)

Bluesman Mark and Spencer R like this.
  18. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Fortunately, it is not yet compulsory to wawtch a film or a TV show that you are not interested in.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

There used to be almost no superhero movies, at least not shown at theaters... what was there, four Superman movies and one Supergirl (some of which bombed anyway), up until 1989 and the Tim Burton Batman?

20. Oatsdad

Yeah, the superhero boom is really a 21st century phenomenon. Even after "Batman", we didn't get a slew of comic book films - the number increased, but it didn't explode until after "Spider-Man" in 2002...

beccabear67 likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm still deep into comics, but like Raylinds, I'm kinda burnt out on superheroes too!

It's understandable, when a trend comes up that tends to suck all the oxygen out of your favorite creative endeavor, and while you may have opted-in for a little while, just seeing every media promotional fake-reality in your life screaming about the last thing about movies you were interested in, probably sours you on the trend - whatever it is - first. That doesn't make you a fuddy-duddy or "the guy who just doesn't 'get it'". You're just waiting for Hollywood to stop hyperventilating over the last trend, and home next trend it's your turn. (SPOILER ALERT: :shake: )

Somewhere in the late '80s I'd absorbed enough elitism from The Comics Journal to help me "break up" with superheroes, and focus on other tropes. Dave Sim's Cerebus certainly didn't hurt, and Marvel's "catyclysm-rinse-repeat" storytelling didn't help. I kept following the medium, just not the spandex tights. Thanks to the indie spirit of everything not Super-or-Spider, there was enough product out there I cared about, and supported, to keep my appreciation of comics, and graphics in general, fresh.

But, once decent Spider-man and X-men representations were finally able to be produced for the widescreen, I could finally see those capes-n-villains films I used to yearn for in the 1970's, and I indulged. As always though, it seemed for every Dark Knight, there were at least five Wolverines...and not in the good way. So I became a bit more descriminating, and nowadays my first viewing of a Marvel movie is most likely on FX, about six years after the Taco Bell collectors cups came out. And, I'm fine with that. Watchmen and V For Vendetta could have been better...and TinTin and Akira didn't really put it over the top for me. So, I'm good missing the buzz on Wonder Woman and the Wakandans if it means I can see it on my own time.

Meanwhile, contrary to manufactured belief...there's a helluva lot more going on in cinema these days that has nothing to do with Nick Fury, or which media conglomerate "owns" Marvel characters they gave away. I've still got money for a worthy ticket, and a bag of decent popcorn.

Just hoping against hope, nobody options, re-writes, mis-casts and totally blows Strangers In Paradise, Love & Rockets or Bone...

beccabear67 and Vidiot like this.
  22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Not me. I don’t read comics but did as an 80s kid. I had been waiting my entire life for a halfway accurate cinematic adaptation of the books I read and now finally it is happening. I hope they continue on until I die.

Frozensoda and SonOfAlerik like this.
  23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yep, I think after 21 Marvel movies and at least a dozen Warner/DC comics movies in the last 12-13 years, it is a little overwhelming and a little exhausting. I loved these films when they started out, but man... I mean, I love cheeseburgers, too, but I don't want them morning, noon, and night for every meal every day of the week.

And yet... I look forward to seeing Captain Marvel, Avengers, and the new Spiderman. I don't give a crap about Shazam, The Joker, or anything from DC so far. I'm a little burned out on the X-Men as well, so I'm gonna pass on New Mutants and Dark Phoenix.

2019 has more superhero movies coming out than any year ever

audiomixer, cleandan, eric777 and 2 others like this.
  24. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery

...Well, there'll eventually be flops.

25. Oatsdad

There've already been flops - plenty of them.

There just haven't been enough to sink the genre...

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.