Supertramp Album By Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MrJerry1876, Aug 10, 2021.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

An aside, radio station SWR1 currently has Leslie Mandoki on its talk program. They played a track called "The Torch" from his recent project "Living in the Gap / Hungarian Pictures" and, well, I pretty quickly identified the sax player... and you can see him in the video too.

MrJerry1876 and ledsox like this.
  2. Left Hand

Left Hand Forum Resident

Free as a Bird
    A tad behind writing my thoughts on this album... but I will anyway!
    In summary, this is a lively, up tempo album, with the band having a go with the sort of music that was popular at the time - synths and drum machines. And, apart from the last song, lyrics based on relationships and love in general.
    Since purchasing this album this year (yay for Ebay), it's had tons of spins on my CD player.

It's alright
    A great first track. "This is what the album is going to be like," sort of thing. No messing around. Got the synths, drum machines, really up tempo. Uplifting, love based lyrics.
    An introduction to the female backing vocals, which will play a big part in songs coming up.

Not the moment
    Nice saxophone at the start.
    This one is nice listening but for me the song doesn't stand out. It's really the saxophone I remember with this one.

It doesn't matter
    I did pay much attention to this song, but after a few more listens, I'm really impressed with it. The keyboards, synths, drums are really cool on this one.
    Rick's emotional performance here really suits the lyrics - the despair the partner has ended the relationship and.
    Then the female backing vocals come in, the song builds up and up. Then the song fades out, with the realisation that it yes, 'it doesn't matter'.

Where I stand
    This song does have potential, but for me it's one of the weakest songs. It's okay, I don't skip it. It was like a test drive for a duet with Rick and Mark Hart. They definitely get better (for example, 'Listen to me please'.)

Free as a Bird
    Hmm... I really like this song on Live, 1997 (It was the best of times). I like it, but this studio version is just a tad flat or slow or maybe too polished. It's an excellent high voice and scream at the end from Mark.

I'm Beggin' You
    This song is sooo cool and so catchy. I love that little cute (best word I can describe it) synth part that comes in and out. The brass really fits in too.
    And, just like 'It doesn't matter', the female backing vocalists come in (Lisa Miller, Linda Foot, Karyn White) with Rick and the brass, to bring an ending, which I wouldn't have minded to go on for another minute!

You never can tell with friends
    A bit like 'Not the moment' for me. I like it, but it doesn't stand out.

Thing for you
    I really really like this one. I like the simplicity of the song, with it's almost reggae synths and percussion sounds. Rick's singing here really compliments the song too.

An awful thing to waste
    And the last track ends on a note to tell the listener to don't get stuck, keep on moving.
    Musically, the song builds and builds. Get louder, Rick gets more insistent, til we get to a guitar solo from Mark. I think it's a very, very good one and goes with the drums (or drum machines!)

(Will share my thoughts on Some things never change later on :))

petercl, MrJerry1876 and JulesRules like this.
  3. JulesRules

4. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

I brought my ...Famous Last Words... cd to work with me today and gave it a spin. Man, I really do love this album. Just really catchy songs with a bunch of great melodies.

5. I've always felt that Famous Last Words was a step down for the band; they had ample material for a great concept album (Roger's first solo album and Brother Where you Bound?) which would have worked if released as a double album.

Johnny Vinyl and Jrr like this.
  6. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Thanks for the link! That was interesting. The part about recording in the tube station and school yard was cool to learn.

Johnny Vinyl, JulesRules and Jrr like this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Famous Last Words was a very poor copy of Breakfast In America imo. Some greatness, but most of it is meandering, and they both knew they were moving on after it was done. You can really tell how much better they were as a team when you listen to both of their debut solo albums. Take the best songs from both albums, and then imagine Supertramp as a group doing them. Would have been a great album. As it was, they were both okay, and then they were pretty awful with the next ones imo.

The MEZ and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I really liked It’s Allright, but it’s all downhill from there for me. Got a rare vinyl copy not long ago, great sound as usual but a pretty awful album for me. Nice die cut cover for the bird.

wayneklein, Left Hand and Ignominious like this.
  9. MrJerry1876

MrJerry1876 Short Distance Voyager Thread Starter

Famous Last Words, for me, works better as individiual songs rather than a full album, unlike Brother Where You Bound and The Eye Of The Storm, which are some of my favorite progressive rock albums from the 80s. Bonnie, My Kind Of Lady, and the closing two tracks are top-tier Supertramp songs for me!

Left Hand likes this.
  10. Left Hand

Left Hand Forum Resident

This website is from the Tour Manager for the Supertramp 1983 and 1985-1986 tour.
    Got some fantastic photos and stories on the road...
    This page has an audio link "John Helliwell's tales of 85" which is great if one is curious about the additional musicians of Marty, Mark, Carl (and Scott). Brad Cole joined the band when Mark had leave for urgent personal matter. When he came back on tour, Brad left.

So Brad Cole was actually second saxophonist and keyboardist in next tour (1988). Scott Page had left the band at thar point.

1985 Supertramp - Road Stories

MortSahlFan, JulesRules and ledsox like this.
  11. JulesRules

Thanks for the link.
    Huh. Marty Walsh posted on his blog: "So the new band guys known as the FNG’s were myself, Scott, Carl, keyboardist/vocalist Mark Hart and saxophonist Brad Cole"
    But I went back to the Seattle recording and Brad doesn't get mentioned, so you must be right.

So they actually didn't have three sax players on stage... :shh:

Left Hand likes this.
  12. gustavo perez fernandez

gustavo perez fernandez Well-Known Member

here you have some "relics" from supertramp (and as "daddy" in their beginnings).... and you can do download if you´re interested. are audios & some videos from flims too!.

Jukebox de Rarezas

JulesRules, Left Hand and MortSahlFan like this.
  13. gustavo perez fernandez

another piece "rare" to them, to me.... not.

& here, the videos from the same page in my last post....

El NO-DO de TLW

enjoy people!.

14. darkmage

darkmage Through Doors of Moonlight

I listened to Crisis? What Crisis? again for the first time in a long while and was struck by what great flow this album has. Some great songs along the way.

jimmydean, Jrr, no.nine and 4 others like this.
  15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I just had Breakfast In America playing while I was reading on the forum. During the track “Lord Is It Mine” when the bridge began I was suddenly filled with a euphoric rush of escalating pins & needles that was absolutely breathtaking. A spontaneous gift of physical pleasure from timeless music. What a treat that was!

no.nine, The MEZ, MrJerry1876 and 4 others like this.
  16. gustavo perez fernandez

b.s.o. supertramp - fegefeuer (purgatory), year: 1971.
    format: flac, uncompressed.

MediaFire

enjoy!.

17. oneslip17

oneslip17 Forum Resident

Some of this footage can be seen in The Story So Far DVD.....

Does anyone know if this is the same documentary that came in tbe deluxe Breakfast In America box set from 2011?

18. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Totally agree!

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  19. Left Hand

Left Hand Forum Resident

Anyone who likes Mark Hart's music, his first solo album Nada Sonata will be reviewed in 2 or 3 weeks time. Will tell the name of the forum on the week (this is the link of the album from YouTube music. My favourite is I've Got a Girl).
    Nada Sonata

JulesRules likes this.
  20. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

i've listened to that album before, I quite liked Something to take my mind off of you.

its a shame none of the songs ended up on Slow Motion

Left Hand likes this.
  21. Left Hand

Left Hand Forum Resident

I also really like Something to take my mind off of you as well.

If there was one Mark Hart song which I'm surprised Rick Davies didn't put on Slow Motion it's I'm not Givin' Up (on Mark's second solo album, The Backroom).
    That chorus is soo Supertramp.

JulesRules and pokemaniacjunk like this.
  22. Left Hand

Left Hand Forum Resident

Mark Hart's Nada Sonata album is now up for discussion this week in the forum below if you're interested (connected to Neil and Tim Finn because he used to play with Crowded House).
    (On the link, you'll have to scroll down from the last CDs we were discussing about)

Stranger than Fiction, Larger Than Life: the Finn Brothers song-by-song discussion thread

I added a bit of his creative contribution to Supertramp. Hopefully the thread starter won't mind.

MrJerry1876 likes this.
  23. rexp

rexp Forum Resident

Does anyone who has the LP's of Crime or Moments know of digital versions that are as good?

24. Ignominious

Ignominious Knock and Know All!

I’m not sure about Moments but I quite like the BluRay Audio release of Crime, even if there is no multichannel mix.

rexp likes this.
  25. I like the first Mofi.

rexp likes this.