Supertramp Crime of the Century

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Floatupstream, Jun 23, 2020.

1. DavidP

DavidP Forum Resident

Not in Canada. They were huge in Canada. Could never figure out why they were bigger here than in the US, at least pre-BIA. A big part of my high school years. The Tramp and Floyd were synonymous with cool art rock back in the day.

2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Not sure. The first two albums did nothing in The Netherlands and by the time CoTC came out, Miesegaes had already withdrawn his support. CoTC didn't even do that well as in the UK, France and Germany, but subsequent albums did better than in these countries. They got a LOT of airplay in the seventies for sure.

MortSahlFan likes this.
  3. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

An undisputed masterpiece. That drum sound though...... the toms especially are some of the worst I've herd. Bob's drums just sound so clunky. Such great part player, lyrical, fluid and underrated. He would go on to have beautiful sounding drums on later records. Not sure what happened here.

The Ken Scott book is a great read, and there's a decent amount given to the Tramp.

Strat-Mangler, MortSahlFan and Dodoz like this.
  4. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

You always hear Bowie & Tony Visconti but Ken Scott was such a part in the making of David Bowie too. His work on "Hunky Dory" and "Ziggy Stardust" was tremendous.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Wow, synchronicity.

Just bought that cd this morning, realizing I'd never heard the album, but wanting to hear Dreamer. :)

6. Dodoz

Dodoz Forum Resident

If you liked that one, give a spin to the follow up, its evil twin, "Crisis? What Crisis?"sometime.

It's not as good (but it still IS good), it's more laidback too. This song could have been on "Crime" for sure.

7. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Thanks. I'm going to get it now.

dubious title likes this.
  8. dubious title

dubious title Forum Resident

Nice!

While you're at it get this one too...

[​IMG]

Dignan2000 and MortSahlFan like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Personally I love everything from Crime up to Breakfast.
    I stay out of the argument about what is and isn't prog.

I like that each album has its own unique quality.... and although many don't like Breakfast, I think it holds its own.

Crime though was just a great musical, and lyrical statement. Even the recording quality is just superb....
    That harmonica is just amazing.... need a thread about the best sounding recorded harmonica... it would have to be close

10. AnalogueAndy

AnalogueAndy Forum Resident

Supertramp played one of the first outdoor shows ever held at Vancouver’s Empire Stadium, August 11, 1979. Over 40,000 fans showed up.
    Ya, they were kind’a popular hereabouts.

(should mention Empire also hosted Elvis in ‘57 and The Beatles in ‘64 . . some pretty good company for The Tramp!)

pablo fanques, DavidP and MortSahlFan like this.
  11. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Roger Hodgson said in one DVD concert how 1 in 20 Canadians had the "Crime of the Century" album.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A marvelous album without a wasted second. The band was not able to reach those heights again, but many of their following records are excellent, though.

MortSahlFan and Dodoz like this.
    DavidP, MortSahlFan and AnalogueAndy like this.
  14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'll disagree about the sound. Listen to those tons on the title track. Just wonderful.

15. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

Its an amazing album. Well recorded too.

16. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was playing it for my wife and she heard the harmonica intro on School and said “ I think I’m gonna like this!”

17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Welcome to the club. One of my most cherished records.

I don’t label them as prog...just superb music. There’s no meandering on COTC, not a wasted note.

JulesRules likes this.
  18. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

The latest reissue on Back to Black has mixed reviews, has anyone heard it?

19. TeleCaster

TeleCaster Forum Resident

Yeah agree. As stated earlier Supertramp were overplayed on FM radio (ad nauseam. ). Not sure why so more in Canada than the US.

Chemguy likes this.
  20. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I remember hearing "You're bloody well right" as a phrase, but not that wonderful saxophone part near the end.

I'm thinking the cd reminds me of the 10cc esthetic.

21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I recently bought the Blu-ray audio disc. Fantastic sound.

22. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I love the Mofi gold.

kevywevy likes this.
  23. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Crime and Crisis are prog albums, the next two are not. BIA is great, but EITQM is the weakest of the three by a lot.

Also, Live in Paris is a great bluray - has most of CotC on it.

24. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

It's a top-tier album for me, one in which I can completely immerse myself. There's not a weak moment on it. I have the old AM+ CD and it sounds great to my ears; I never felt the need to find other masterings.

There are other Supertramp albums I really enjoy, and I might even argue that Fool's Overture is better than anything on Crime. But as a complete album I don't think they ever equalled it again, and there aren't a lot of albums by any band that I place in that top tier.

Dodoz, MortSahlFan and Ignominious like this.
  25. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Hey Mark, that would be a great idea... sure you'd create a really good thread about it, and my vote would be to ... Morricone's! :winkgrin: