Supertramp's Crisis? What Crisis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IMMusicRulz, Mar 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle Thread Starter

A lot of my friends who like Supertramp think it’s not that great of an album. I disagree. I bought the RCA Indianapolis pressings Of Crime Of The Century and Crisis? What Crisis? At a consignment store recently. Both albums were played a lot by whoever owned it previously (and the cover was almost as beat up as the record itself!)
    It sounds very fresh for such an old pressing, and not to mention was recorded at Henson Recording Studios in Los Angeles, CA (the 1st Supertramp album to be recorded in America, but overdubs and mixing took place at Scorpio Sound and Ramport Studios In London.)

Most of my friends who like Supertramp are more familiar with Breakfast In America, Crime Of The Century, Famous Last Words etc. But give Crisis? What Crisis? A chance. You won’t be dissatisfied.

The best tracks in my opinion are Ain’t Nobody But Me, Easy Does It, Sister Moonshine and Poor Boy.
    It was also the first album where Supertramp started experimenting with the keyboards that defined their sound (namely Wurlitzer Electric piano, ELKA Rhapsody and Moog synthesizer.)
    I get that Crime Of The Century was hard to follow. But this album is also a must own for any “Tramp head.”
    There are some clarinet and flute flourishes, the dazzling string arrangements from Richard Henson, and those beautiful looking and powerful sounding Rickenbacker 4001 and Fender Jazz Bass guitars Dougie Thomson played.
    I do think the LP version of Crisis? What Crisis? Is better than the CD versions, which mess up both the lyrics and master tapes. I was even sad that they kicked Land Ho off the original version (it later wound up on some Supertramp compilation albums, so no problem there)

I have played it 3 times this week. I even had this album as my profile picture!

What are your favorite tracks on this album? And most of all, what pressing do you own and what format is your copy? I wouldn’t mind if you posted any pictures of your copy of any Supertramp albums. Let me know.

2. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I always thought it was well-liked. I wouldn't place it on the same level as Crime of the Century or Breakfast in America, but it's still a solid album with some great highlights. "Easy Does It" and "Sister Moonshine" are among my absolute favorite Supertramp songs.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Always assumed it was well liked.

"Two of Us" is the best song Roger Hodgson ever wrote, and that George Harrison didn't.

paradox55, Carlox, fab432 and 3 others like this.
  4. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

Solid album. Nothing to not like about it.

Fond memories of hearing many of the songs performed live over many Supertramp tours / concerts.

Really like "A Soapbox Opera." Prog rock at its finest. Then again "Lady" is no slouch either. Heck! I like all the tracks!

I think I'll play the album from start to finish when I'm working out tomorrow.

Jeff

5. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Great album! Hard to beat Crime of the Century, but I like it better than Even in the Quietest Moments and Breakfast in America.

6. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

It's a very good Supertramp album.
    My favorites are "Aint Nobody But Me" and "Another Mans Woman".
    My LP appears to be a U.S. first press matrix ending in RCA 1 and RCA2
    The LP is in EX condition, the cover is VG+ on the front with some wear, the back cover has a brownish blob were it looks like someone spilled a chocolate milkshake or something?
    Still has the $1.95 price tag from Randy's records (used record store).
    Guess I should seek out a copy with a cover in better condition.

IMMusicRulz and Joti Cover like this.
  7. Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD

Moggio_4K_Ultra_HD Forum Resident

Crisis? What Crisis? is an amazing album! In fact, I might even like it better than Crime Of The Century. I don't really have a favourite track because I enjoy almost all of the songs equally. I know it's not a concept album, but the songs flows together so well and considering much of the subject matter, it very well could've been.

I believe I own the 1997 A&M remastered CD.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  8. Hicks

Hicks Forum Resident

I’ve read that the band wasn’t really happy with how it turned out, so that may be why there is a negative perception surrounding it.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  9. It’s always been considered pretty good. Seen as something of a step back by some from Crime but I see,it as just another step in their evolution.

10. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Crime of the Century is their masterpiece in my opinion, but the next three albums are all excellent, plus their live album Paris.

11. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

It's permanently talked about here, this is actually the second recent dedicated thread discussing (different aspects of) this album so... probably can't be that bad. :unhunh:

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Easy Does It and Sister Moonshine are in my top favorites of first two tracks on any album.

sound chaser and IMMusicRulz like this.
  13. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Great album, just not as fantastic as the ones before or after. "The Meaning" is one of my favorite Supertramp songs, but the entire album is very strong.

Snow1 and anduandi like this.
  14. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Part of the challenge, if memory serves, was they took arguably their best songs for Crime and then at least half of Crisis was leftovers, or at least songs that didn't fit on Crime thematically. And Crime came across as more weighty in that it didn't have any love songs and covered a lot of social issues. So then on Crisis, you mostly had Roger doing lighter, cheerier-sounding material and Rick doing love songs. (Although Just a Normal Day and Soapbox Opera would probably have fit on Crime).

Crisis has grown on me over time, especially Roger's songs. Weren't they considering putting Land Ho on it at one point?

IMMusicRulz and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. I've liked this album from Day One and I even preferred it to COTC for a short period of time. There is no doubt COTC is the superior album, but CWC easily stands on its own. The thing to do is not to compare it, but to enjoy it for what it is. I have the Canadian original release and also the Canadian A&M+ Audiophile reissue. I'd love to see another audiophile attempt at this album, but I'm afraid that'll never happen as COTC and BIA have basically satisfied those for most people.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  16. peteham

peteham Senior Member

The first album I ever got into. I was a mere ten years of age. Still in my top ten of all time.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no, pretty good actually.

18. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

It's easily their best album, one I truly enjoy playing.

Theristocrat likes this.
  19. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Unsure what would be considered bad about it.
    For me Crime to Breakfast is pretty much spot on.

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I'm not sure "Tramp head" means what you think it means.

ironbutterfly and ARK like this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I hate it, but I hate Supertramp:D

22. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I started a thread on this album yesterday. No one seemed interested...! This is what I wrote:

I've been trying to piece together some information about this classic album, in particular what constitutes a UK first pressing. I have some photos which I will be posting later but thought I'd get the ball rolling to see if anyone is actually interested in contributing...!

A&M Records. Released 1975. First UK catalogue number is AMLH 68347.

Released in a single sleeve with a yellow inner sleeve. The first pressing came with a thick yellow card insert advertising a 'free poster offer'.

There are, however, some confusing details (these refer to UK pressings from 1975 only):

• According to Discogs, A&M labels between 1975 and 1977 had no 'Made in England' text for pressings destined for the UK market. But - This album was released in 1975, so should the true first pressing labels have 'Made in England' or not?
    • I believe that all early UK labels are titled 'Crisis! What Crisis?' (with an exclamation mark)...?
    • I have seen UK printed sleeves that are printed yellow on the inside and UK printed sleeves that are just plain card on the inside. Which is correct for the first pressing?
    • I have seen photos on Discogs of the yellow inner sleeve that are printed with 'Supertramp - Crisis? What Crisis?' to the top of one side. But all the copies I've ever seen are plain, blank yellow on both sides..?
    • Has anyone ever actually seen the poster? (If you have a copy, could you please post a photo?)
    I'll give more detail later if this picks up any interest...

beatleswho, Carlox and stax o' wax like this.
  23. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Great album. Primo Supertramp. Favorite tracks are Easy Does It, Sister Moonshine, Poor Boy, and Two of Us.

24. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle Thread Starter

It’s my nickname for Supertramp fans ;)

25. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I believe this to be the poster:

[​IMG]

Boognish and sound chaser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.