Supertramp's Crisis? What Crisis?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by IMMusicRulz, Mar 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IMMusicRulz

IMMusicRulz The Fifth Bangle Thread Starter

Cool poster! My copy just has the cruddy yellow sleeve :(

2. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

I’ve never seen another copy of the poster but I believe this is the correct one because it is the right size.

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  3. moomaloo

I have another poster, but this one is an original shop display promo as far as I know:

[​IMG]

Boognish, Carlox and IMMusicRulz like this.
  4. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Listen when people praise music you don't know. Ignore when people bash music you love. Crisis is excellent, calling it "bad" is nonsense, as simple as that.

Sean, goer, sonnyrock and 6 others like this.
  5. moomaloo

And this is the poster that the fold-out 1975 tour programme opens into:

[​IMG]

Sean, ledsox and IMMusicRulz like this.
  6. Musical Chairs

Musical Chairs Forum Resident

It's a solid album. If you don't like it, I'd wonder if you either don't care much for Supertramp at all or simply enjoy the radio hits.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Who doesn't like this one? It's terrific!

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

My favourite tracks are completely different from the OP's:

Soapbox Opera
    The Meaning
    Two of Us

Fred1958uk and beatleswho like this.
  9. Crime Of The Century still is my favorite, but Crisis? What Crisis? became my second in their discography.
    I don't care if the album isn't conceptual or heavy on the social comments as Crime and that some of the songs are leftovers, the material sounds very strong on its own, production and audio quality are top notch and the band and Ken Scott did an impressive job given the pressure and time constraints.
    Too bad they unceremoniously sacked Scott after all the great things he did for Supertramp.

10. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

"Crisis? What Crisis?" is one of my favourite, too.
    Personally, I prefer "Even In The Quietest Moments" than "Crisis"... But the latter is much better than "Famous last Words".
    Of course, "Crime of The Century" is their masterpierce and "Breakfast in America" their jackpot.
    In short, I love all the Supertramp albums. I only own the original albums on CD. And also some MFSL..
    My favourite tracks of Crisis: "Ain't Nobody But Me", "A Soapbox Opera", "Another Man's Woman" and "Just a Normal Day'".

11. jeddy

jeddy Forum Resident

is the early CD release the one to get?

12. I have the old, eighties AM+ CD edition and love the sound, no need for a digital upgrade in my opinion.

Sean, anduandi, zen and 4 others like this.
  13. Theristocrat

Theristocrat Forum Resident

Great album - ignored this for two years at first, just because of the awful cover. Fell in love with its textures and subtle psychedelic atmosphere on first listen though. The themes are not necessarily lighter than Crime, but musically it's a bit more playful, experimental. Supertramp allow more time for moods to build up on this one, regardless, the songwriting and playing is just as impeccable, only less bombastic and rocking. Still my favourite Supertramp album - after exactly 30 years!

Sean and beatleswho like this.
  14. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Not as good as COTC, EITQM or BIA but still really good!

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

+1

c-eling likes this.
  16. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The first rock album I heard in my life. Still love every second of it. Nothing they (or most others) did comes close. One of my favorite records, period. A Soapbox Opera still gives me goosebumps.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    IMMusicRulz and Carlox like this.
  17. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

This is their best album. They had better/bigger ones but this was the zenith. Best song on the album is "Another Man's Woman".

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  18. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

This is the album I go back to most often. There is a special quality and feeling to it that is unique to that record.

While I understand that "Crime Of The Century" stands out sonically and is a bit more progressive, I always found "Crisis? What Crisis?" as good and don't understand why only Crime and Breakfast keep getting re-released all the time.

This is definitely an underrated album - like its follow-up as well. I am in the minority, but I also love "Famous Last Words" and "Brother Where You Bound".

19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Simple: high school appeal, US success and hit singles. CWC doesn't have that, but us connoisseurs know it has gems like Sister Moonshine, Ain't Nobody But Me, Another Man's Woman and Lady, so screw the charts.

20. IMMusicRulz

I love the album and I love Supertramp, I just see too many people bash Crisis so that’s why I started this forum.

beatleswho likes this.
  21. Pianoman99

Crime didn't have hit singles either... in the US "Bloody Well Right" made No. 35. Breakfast was more of a hit album.

For some reason Crime has achieved cult status. I agree that it's a great album, but it is not THAT much better than the later 70s albums.

All major 70s acts have their own LP box set nowadays - why not Supertramp?

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  22. IMMusicRulz

“Crime didn’t have hit singles”...you must be kidding. Bloody Well Right was a Top 40 hit is what you probably meant to say

23. Pianoman99

?

IMMusicRulz likes this.
  24. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I remember getting the album as a cut-out in a drug store on a school trip to Cincinnati, having loved the previous album.

Showing how memory works, I always assumed down the years that the title and concept came from the incident when the British Prime Minister James Callaghan returned from a combined international conference/holiday in Barbados, where he had been photographed on the beach enjoying the sun. Callaghan rejected the advice of his political minders and talked about the then-dreadful economic situation in Britain to press waiting at the airport, suggesting the press was overstating what they described as 'chaos'. The next day, a headline in The Sun newspaper said 'Crisis? What Crisis?', although the PM had never actually spoken those words.

In fact, it is more likely the album title inspired the headline, since the event I described took place three years after the album was released. In fact, the British PM would have been more correct saying everything was fine so he was just off to 'breakfast in America'.

ledsox, Theristocrat and IMMusicRulz like this.
  25. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

I love Crisis. In fact, I think it's a stronger album than the beloved Even in the Quietest Moments, which despite some good songs, really drags IMO.

IMMusicRulz and Steve356 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.