Surrounded On Sundays - 5.1/quad reviews and summaries

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mark winstanley, Jun 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Welcome to the surround sound party...i started my journey about 1 1/2 years ago...yep it's VERY immersive

Enjoy the discovery...yep my pockets r a lot lighter but the music is so enjoyable

Dont forget about duttonvocalion they also have some good titles in sacd quad n a lot lighter on the wallet

Cheers

j3brow and mark winstanley like this.
  2. Pat the Cat

Pat the Cat Musical Goldminer

To me, Moving Pictures is one of the best surround recordings in my whole collection. It has a smooth, powerful sound that really transforms the room. I think the album itself is well written and played. I am definitely not a fan of their earlier releases, which I find pretty shrill and well behind the quality of other bands of that era. Pictures is pretty good, though, and once they got to Presto I became a fan. Yeah, well, I'm just yakking here from my perspective!

mark winstanley and thgord like this.
  3. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

Any chance you recall whether Fly By Night blu-ray did not track the first 3-4 seconds of each song? Mine didn't and it got returned.

mark winstanley likes this.
  4. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

The thread is very worthwhile. Unfortunately, the Summer is a tricky time for a lot of us and I haven't had the time to keep up with things here ... all the more irritating because several of my favourites have gone by over the same period. I'll try to get back to them down the line. If I don't say it again, however, assume that I am always in favour of the continuation of this thread.

5. thgord

Please keep this thread going as there just isn't much info out there about this topic, certainly on this forum. Now that I have a lot more free time, I've been expanding my DVD-A/Blu-ray 5.1 discs and this thread has provided me with a lot of useful information.

highway and mark winstanley like this.
  6. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product Thread Starter

I love the albums, yes especially Moving Pictures, it is a good sounding disc, but at the very least from memory, it isn't immersive as such, and the surrounds are more used as ambience.

7. mark winstanley

At the very least tomorrow I should be able to check :righton:

thgord likes this.
  8. mark winstanley

Appreciate the heads up mate.
    I have decided to keep it rolling, I am enjoying the disciplined listen to these anyway.
    I look forward to you getting some free time, and please feel free to look back at anything we have done, whenever you get the opportunity.

9. mark winstanley

That's great to hear :righton:

10. bktouchstone

bktouchstone Forum Resident

Good thread. I have not contributed because I am temporarily down to a 2.0 system. Should be back to 5.1 soon. The reviews shave been good to read and are making me long for my gear!
    From my recollection, here are some of the better ones in my collection:
    1. Avalon
    2. All the XTC releases
    3. All the Elton Johns (please release the rest!)
    4. Fear of a Blank Planet
    5. All of the Talking Heads releases
    6. Many of the REMs
    7. All of the Depeche Mode releases.
    8. Nearly all of the Jethro Tulls

I have found that I consistently enjoy Steven Wilson’s efforts whether he is the artist, or doing remixes of others.

There are a lot on the classical side as well.

I would be closer to retirement if I hadn’t discovered surround music!

11. mark winstanley

I won't disagree with you on those mixes... and yes they left a big gap with the Elton remixes.
    At the moment I just have Mozart's 40th, but there are quite a few good ones I've heard.

12. mark winstanley

I just put Fly By Night on, and It had no time skips, or stalls for the first four tracks .... so I assume you got a dodgy copy
    and I must say that although it isn't hugely immersive as such, for a three piece it is still a pretty decent mix, and sounds pretty good

thgord likes this.
  13. thgord

Thanks! Some other reviewers on Amazon had noted 3-4 second skips as I found with my blu-ray.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  14. mark winstanley

Well, I don't know which album it was, but I guess one album tainted my opinion on these rush 5.1's ... the quick flick through Fly By Night, inspired me to put Moving Pictures on, probably my favourite Rush album, and it sounds very good.
    I am going to stay quiet on these mixes until I have proper relistens .....

15. mark winstanley

The Six Wives of Henry VIII
    [​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Rick Wakeman
    Released
    23 January 1973
    Recorded February–October 1972
    Studio Morgan and Trident Studios
    (London, England)
    Genre Progressive rock instrumental rock baroque pop
    Length 36:36
    Label A&M
    Producer Rick Wakeman

The Six Wives of Henry VIII is the second studio album by English keyboardist Rick Wakeman, released in January 1973 on A&M Records. It is an instrumental progressive rock album with its concept based on his interpretations of the musical characteristics of the wives of Henry VIII. After signing with A&M as a solo artist, Wakeman decided on the album's concept during a tour of the United States as a member of the rock band Yes. As he read a book about the subject on his travels, melodies he had written the previous year came to him and were noted down. Musicians from Yes and from Strawbs, the group Wakeman was in prior to Yes, also play on the album.

The Six Wives of Henry VIII received mostly positive reviews from critics. It reached number 7 on the UK Albums Chart and number 30 on the Billboard 200 in the United States. It was certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America in 1975 for over 500,000 copies sold in the United States. In 2009, Wakeman performed the album in its entirety for the first time at Hampton Court Palace as part of the 500th anniversary celebration of Henry's accession to the throne, released as The Six Wives of Henry VIII Live at Hampton Court Palace. The tracks were rearranged with sections, including a track dedicated to Henry himself, that were left off the original album due to the limited time available on a single record. The Six Wives of Henry VIII was reissued in 2015 with a quadraphonic sound mix and bonus tracks.

Music

Additional musicians
    • Bill Bruford – drums on "Catherine of Aragon" and "Anne Boleyn"
    • Ray Cooper – percussion on "Catherine of Aragon" and "Anne Boleyn"
    • Dave Cousins – electric banjo on "Catherine Howard"
    • Chas Cronk – bass guitar on "Catherine Howard"
    • Barry de Souza – drums on "Catherine Howard"
    • Mike Egan – guitar on "Catherine of Aragon", "Anne of Cleves", "Anne Boleyn", and "Catherine Parr"
    • Steve Howe – guitar on "Catherine of Aragon"
    • Les Hurdle – bass guitar on "Catherine of Aragon" and "Anne Boleyn"
    • Dave Lambert – guitar on "Catherine Howard"
    • Laura Lee – vocals on "Anne Boleyn"
    • Sylvia McNeill – vocals on "Anne Boleyn"
    • Judy Powell – vocals on "Catherine of Aragon"
    • Frank Ricotti – percussion on "Anne of Cleves", "Catherine Howard", and "Catherine Parr"
    • Chris Squire – bass guitar on "Catherine of Aragon"
    • Barry St. John – vocals on "Catherine of Aragon"
    • Liza Strike – vocals on "Catherine of Aragon" and "Anne Boleyn"
    • Alan White – drums on "Anne of Cleves", "Jane Seymour", and "Catherine Parr"
    • Dave Wintour – bass guitar on "Anne of Cleves" and "Catherine Parr"
    Production and design
    • Ken Scott – engineer on "Catherine of Aragon" and "Catherine Parr"
    • Paul Tregurtha – engineer, mixer on "Anne of Cleves", "Catherine Howard", "Jane Seymour", and "Anne Boleyn"
    • Pete Flanagan – assistant engineer
    • David Hentschel (credited as "Dave Henshall") – mixer on "Catherine Parr"
    • Michael Doud – art director
    • Ken Carroll – design
    • Bruce Rae – cover photograph
    • Ruan O'Lochlainn – inside photograph
    • Published by Rondor Music

1. "Catherine of Aragon" 3:44
    2. "Anne of Cleves" 7:53
    3. "Catherine Howard" 6:35
    4. "Jane Seymour" 4:46
    5. "Anne Boleyn 'The Day Thou Gavest Lord Hath Ended'" 6:32
    6. "Catherine Parr" 7:06

Charts

UK Albums Chart (1973) 7
    Australia Go-Set (1973) 9
    Kent Music Report (1973) 12
    Italian Albums Chart (1973) 17
    United States Billboard 200 (1973) 30
    New Zealand Albums Chart (1975) 21
    UK Albums Chart (2015) 86

Certifications

1975 United States (RIAA) Gold[28] 500,000
    1974 MIDEM Festival Platinum[45] 2,000,000

--------------------------------------------------------

Rick Wakeman was flamboyant, outrageous and over the top, often appearing on stage wearing big capes like some sort of Wizard, and generally making sure everyone knew he was there. Fortunately he also had the musical ability and knowhow, to back this larger than life persona up.
    In 1969 Wakeman Quit the Royal Academy of Music to become a session musician, he was studying to be a concert pianist. He played on sessions for Bowie (including Space Oddity), Trex, Elton John and Cat Stevens.
    Wakeman became a member of Strawbs in 1970 and then joined Yes a year later.
    He has had a Journeyman existence in music moving between bands, solo projects quite often, and obviously keeping it fresh for himself.

He recorded his first solo album in 1971, called Piano Vibrations.
    The Six Wives Of Henry The Eighth was essentially recorded in between sessions for Yes's Close To The Edge, and subsequent tours.

This is still available new, with 1 left on Amazon for $28

https://www.amazon.com/Wives-Henry-Viii-RICK-WAKEMAN/dp/B00S1MJZM8/ref=sr_1_8?crid=CYQPVLCSXFAM&keywords=rick+wakeman+six+wives+of+henry+viii&qid=1567343037&s=music&sprefix=rick+wakeman+,movies-tv,168&sr=1-8
    There are several available on discogs starting at $14 (European)
    Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII
    and starting form $122 (Japan)
    Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives Of Henry VIII

I can't seem to find any information about who did the Quad mix, so please, if anyone has that information, please share it with us.

Wakeman read books regarding Henry and his wives and the music here isn't so much a conceptual picture of the events, but more Rick's personal musical interpretation of the ladies personalities. It is a very interesting way of going about this whole idea. I do enjoy this album, and in fact Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and King Arthur also, and I am interested to refresh my memory on how this mix comes across.

@fredblue - I would really like your input regarding this particular album. If you had some involvement, I am sure we would all appreciate you sharing what it was that you found to be "borderline disgraceful" about this particular release. Again I have probably only listened to this album once at this stage and I am looking forward to revisiting it this morning.
    Also if you know any details about who mixed and mastered this, it would be great. The disc has plenty of information in the booklet, but I was struggling to find that information.

Catherine of Aragon
    We start with hats left rear, piano left, organ up front.
    The drums are left rear, and the keyboards hold centre stage.
    In fact the start is so full on that it is hard to capture.
    We have a synth noise sliding from left rear to right rear. Synth pads either side and a lower end keyboard up the front.
    In the choral section we have voices all round, organ right, piano up front.
    The aggressive section has a stab of guitar on the right, and a flurry of surround activity.
    This is a very expressive track and to me captures the dignity and resolve of this remarkable woman the daughter of Queen Isobella of Spain, a remarkable woman herself.

Anne of Cleves
    Arpeggio keyboard, right front. Piano front. Nice bass up front. Drums predominantly across the rears.
    This is very densely layered, and we have full surround here, but it is difficult to pinpoint everything.
    The solo organ/synth is in the front with a sort of sliding out to the sides feel.
    This is very full sounding.
    Between 5 and 5:30 there is a held organ, and there sounds to be some tape speed issue.... unless that is the way the track originally was. I am not familiar enough with the album, and this is the only copy I have ever had. You hear the organ wobble out of pitch a couple of times... it may be an effect. If you know more about this, please let us know guys.
    The last section is quite a frantic piece of music. This is certainly entertaining music to listen to.

Catherine Howard
    We start with a nice piano and warm bass playing gently up front and then we have a pretty full on section that leads to a more stately section, and these two sections become the opening structure.
    Again the writing and playing are so frenetic in structure it is hard to break it down.
    We have synths either side. Piano covering a wide field. Mellotron, a harpsichord sounding instrument.
    This track has an essentially rock and roll near Orleans style breakdown in the middle.
    Around the 3:50 mark the mellotron pitch seems to wobble a little, but that may well be the mellotron itself... again if you guys are more familiar, please give us the details.
    Sorry that the mix details are so erratic here, but this is a terribly difficult album to break down. It is a constantly changing swirl of music. It is certainly surrounding me, but so very fast changing, it is hard to pin down.

Jane Seymour
    This starts of wonderfully
    A distant sounding organ ip front with some beautifully timed and placed embellishments either side.
    A full sounding pipe organ fills out the whole field and then back to the distant sounding organ.
    Then we get some intense organ interplay, with a very Bach type feel coming through.
    Some synth swoops come through the middle of the field, lending a nice effect.
    This is a regal and noble sounding piece.
    Jane is somewhat a tragic figure, and although giving Henry the son he desperately wanted, she never recovered from the birthing and died.

Anne Boleyn
    Anne was a firecracker, and not a woman who would remain subservient to someone like Henry, and fell out of favour fairly quickly.
    We start with a beautiful piano piece, that represents her coming to court well. Then we get a more frantic section that seems to well represent her nature more readily.
    The drums are up front here and we have synth sounds, and various keyboards filling the area well.
    A nice mellotron also comes into the picture.
    Hats on the left rear. Drums are over the whole field.
    Again the rapid fire nature of the writing and instrumental layout is so hard to keep up with.
    This is an incredibly interesting mix, that won't leave you bored for one second. The music and mix are well suited to one another. Well executed, and erratic, but not in a bad way, to my ears.
    "The day thou gavest Lord, hath ended" is the subtitle of this track, and I assume there is at least a section of that tune in here.

Catherine Parr
    We start with a stately rock style section then move into a flurry of keyboard. This settles a little into a groove.
    The drums are across the rears again, and this by the way does not sound bad, or seem out of context with this album.
    Again we have so much going on here that it would take me a week to not so simply break down this mix.
    The safest thing for me to say is that this is definitely using the full soundfield. I like it, but I could see some folks finding it slightly over the top..... but this is Rick Wakeman, so I guess that should be expected. I think the mix suits the music.
    I get the impression that Wakeman was inspired and having a lot of fun with this album.

My apologies if this is a little less precise, or whatever, but this is quite an incredible album from the perspective of musical construction. It has such a fast paced change of events and soundscapes that it is very difficult to pinpoint. I kept skipping back and spent more time on this album than any so far, but i feel it was just really difficult to nail down what was going on.
    I think that a Wakeman fan who likes surround would love this, like the man himself, it comes across as over the top and somewhat extreme, but it is really well written and structured.
    I have a couple of questions about the possible tape speed issues in there, but I am honestly not sure if they are tape issues, or if that is how the tracks are. For someone who has never heard the album, or is less familiar with the album, it would probably come across as an effect amongst a sea of effects, for someone very familiar with the album (if they are tape speed problems) it may be somewhat annoying.... I honestly am not sure, and so leave it open for someone to educate us on what is going on with this.

Overall excellent, with a few questions, is probably how I would describe this. Please let us know, any Wakeman experts out there.

Cheers
    Mark

yesstiles, Sordel, albertop and 3 others like this.
  16. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Looking forward to ur reviews / opinions of Rush...have a lot of their cds...even some old vinyl sitting in a box...but haven't picked up 5.1 cuz of not raving reports of good mixes in surround

Is there any worthy of my $$$???

17. mark winstanley

Rough Mix

[​IMG]

Studio album by
    Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane
    Released
    16 September 1977
    Recorded Winter 1976 and Spring 1977
    Studio Olympic Studios, London
    Genre Rock, folk rock
    Length 41:34
    Label MCA (US)
    Polydor (UK)
    Producer Glyn Johns

Rough Mix is an album by the Who's guitarist Pete Townshend and former Small Faces and Faces bassist Ronnie Lane. The album was released in September 1977 as Polydor 2442 in the UK and MCA 2295 in the US.[1] It peaked at number 44 on the UK album chart,[2] and at number 45 on the Billboard200.

On 21 October 1976, the Who closed a brief North American tour in Toronto at Maple Leaf Gardens, a show that would be the last with Keith Moon before a paying audience.[3] The Who then took a hiatus as band members pursued various individual interests.

Pete Townshend had been initially contacted by Ronnie Lane to produce his next album, the project instead turning into a full-blown collaboration between the pair.[4] Lane expressed an interest in a songwriting collaboration but Townshend, who has very rarely co-written songs, was unwilling.[5] The instrumental title track is credited to both musicians, however.

During the recording of Rough Mix, Lane's multiple sclerosis was diagnosed but still not revealed generally. In one instance, Lane had an emotional issue related to his MS that caused an argument between him and an unknowing Townshend. Nonetheless Lane toured, wrote and recorded (with Eric Claptonamong others) and in 1979 released another album, See Me, which features several songs written by Lane and Clapton. Around this time Lane travelled the highways and byways of England and lived a 'passing show' modern nomadic life in full Gypsy traveller costume and accommodation.

The album featured songs written by both principals in a vein less like that of the Who or Faces but instead close to the British folk rock vogue of the early 1970s among various English bands. The band on the track "Annie" comprised members of Lane's Slim Chance group, which played in that very style. A number of more famous colleagues also appeared on the recording, among them Who bassist John Entwistle, Ian Stewart and Charlie Watts from The Rolling Stones, and Eric Clapton.[6] Orchestral arrangements for the track "Street in the City" were provided by Townshend's father-in-law, noted British film and television theme composer Edwin Astley.

Rough Mix was remastered in 2006 and released by Hip-O Records, the reissue label for the Universal Music Group, in both 5.1 surround sound format on Dualdisc and standard stereo compact disc. The reissue featured three outtakes as bonus tracks.

My Baby Gives It Away
    Pete Townshend , Ronnie Lane
    Nowhere to Run
    Rough Mix
    Annie
    Keep Me Turning
    Catmelody
    Misunderstood
    April Fool
    Street in the City
    Heart to Hang Onto
    Till the Rivers All Run Dry
    Only You
    Good Question
    Silly Little Man
    Pete Townshend , Ronnie Lane -------------------------------------------------
    To be honest I had never even heard of this album until someone mentioned it earlier in the thread. I haven't had time to listen to it yet, so I am entering this completely cold. I somewhat expect it to be a rock album based on the people on it, but I also know that they are capable or doing more than that. So I am not going to waffle on and pretend I have any idea what to expect here. We certainly have somewhat of an all star line up, so I expect at least that the playing will be quality.

Available from about thirty dollars on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.com/Townshend-Ro...end+rough+mix&qid=1567349284&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Sadly out of print and currently unavailable on discogs
    A couple of copies on ebay starting at $28
    pete townsend rough mix dual disc | eBay

Surround mix by Bob Pridden
    Mastered by Jon Astley

This is a dualdisc With a cd, and flip for the dvd-audio. I have never had any trouble with these discs, but some people aren't fond of them.

My Baby Gives It Away
    Ok, we start with a very Clapton sounding rock groove.
    Drums are on the right. Rhythm gtr left side. Lead fills right. Rhythm gtr front.
    The track has a good mid seventies rock and roll feel. Townsend puts in a good vocal.

Nowhere to Run
    Ronnie takes the vocals here. Really nice banjo on the left, harmonica right. Organ just left of front left. Acoustic guitar up front.
    This track has somewhat of an Americana feel about it.
    There is a drum kit, but it is minimalist, and mixed flow. It works well.

Rough Mix
    A more uptempo track here.
    Drums are centered around the front right speakers.
    Organ right. Rhythm gtr left.
    This is a very cool instrumental.
    A lead guitar upfront.

Annie
    Mellow ballad here.
    Sound like a piano accordion on the left.
    Ronnie takes the vocals again here.
    Really nice sounding bass, sounds like an upright bass. A nice fiddle comes in for a short melodic fill. Sounds like it is just right of the centre if the room.
    This is a really sweet song.
    A bit studio chat at the end.

Keep Me Turning
    A nice Townsend vocal.
    Organ and guitar right. Acoustic left.
    Drums same as previous.
    These mixes are nice. They have a ssf somewhat well recorded, informal jam feel about them. Which isn't to say anything about the recording quality, the recording quality is very good.
    It has a really honest upfront sound and it works.

Catmelody
    Piano just left. Horns right.
    Ronnie gives a cool vocal on this rock and roll song. Guitar right.
    Good time song. Again a nice informal jam kind of feel.

Misunderstood
    Pete on vocals, I think, but a different delivery than I am used to.
    Harmonica left, percussion right and front.
    Really nice harp break too.
    Again the bass sound great.
    Guitars in several places.
    This is a musically subtle track... country/folk/blues/rock.
    Good track

April Fool
    Ronnie on vocals.
    Mandolin left, acoustic left, and front. Dobro right.
    This is a mellow somewhat folk rock track, it has a very Faces/early Rod Stewart feel about it.
    This is a really nice sounding album, with a great feel.

Street in the City
    Acoustic up front leads us in.
    Strings or keyboards left, can't tell.
    Pete on vocals. They're strings.
    A nice arrangement too.
    The strings are either side and work well.
    Another really good track. I can't believe I have never heard of this before.

Heart to Hang Onto
    Acoustic left. Drums same set up. Ronnie on vocals. Pete also singing, the chorus. Organ right.
    Perhaps this is that first hearing thing, but this is a really good listen.
    We burst into horns left, electric guitar right..... and then it mellows out again.
    We move along and get a multi-layered ending that fades to a fender Rhodes, I think.

Till the Rivers All Run Dry
    This has a country/gospel feel.
    Acoustic left and right. Unison vocals at the start. Then Pete giving one of the most sweet mellow vocals i have ever heard from him.
    Piano left.
    This is an excellent album. Can't remember who mentioned it, but thank you.
    Dobro left.

Only You
    Organ right. Ronnie vocals. Piano left.
    This is a rock and roll ballad with a bit of a swing to it.
    Gtr right.
    Again the bass sounds beautiful.
    Sounds almost like it could be on Springsteen's the River album.

Good Question
    Percussion and electric left. Piano right.
    A more full band of instruments and layers here. A very full good sounding surround here. Either a very long intro or an instrumental.
    It is an instrumental.

Silly Little Man
    Horn left. Piano and guitar right.
    Ronnie on vocals. Swinging blues rock track.
    Guitar right.

As i say, i had never heard of this album prior to it being mentioned earlier in the thread, and it is an excellent album. It is a low key affair, with a relaxed feel. The playing and instrumentation is again relaxed, but not sloppy at all. The songs all have a good feel and come across like well recorded, fun jams, with a bunch of guys enjoying playing together.
    I have to say I really like this.
    The mix is slightly unusual, but I don't mean that in a derogatory sense. It actually sounds very good, in spite of some of its quirks, and more importantly it suits the whole laid back feel of the album.
    I really think that Faces, Townsend, Lane and Clapton fans would really like this album. It isn't as raucous as Faces, but has that loose rock feel about it.
    Townsend and Lane work well together here, and you get the feeling that everyone was invested in this project, whether purely from enjoying it, or circumstances surrounding it... I don't know, but it is a really feel good, somewhat mellow album.... relaxed is probably a better description than mellow.
    Anyhow, I reckon it's great, and the mix is good, even though slightly unusual. Very enjoyable listen.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I’ve listened to the Tusk 5.1 mix and the latest Guess Who SACD so far today :cheers:

19. mark winstanley

After yesterday I really want to have a good listen to these Rush albums, because my initial reaction was slight disappointment, but the couple of quick reference checks I did yesterday, it seemed much more solid than I initially felt/remembered.
    I have tomorrow off, and the rest of today obviously.
    As the voting was so close this week, if today works out how I want it to, I am going to do the very close second pair in the voting. If that works out, I should get some time to go through something from Rush at least Tomorrow morning.

Audiowannabee likes this.
  20. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

Acccording to QQ, this is a needle drop from from an SQ Quad LP. So the mix was done over 40 years ago.

Ahh, the good old quad format wars. Both SQ and CD4 required a four channel receiver and four speakers, but the latter had discrete channels and required a quad needle. The front/channel separation is not as good from SQ. I used to have an SQ system, but I don't think I had Six Wives.

Having just listened to it carefully (probably for the first time), my impression of the Six Wives quad is that on most songs, half the instruments are in the front with more or less normal stereo imaging. But the synthesizers and occasionally other instruments as well are shuffled (partially) to the back which makes them more ethereal.

Not a great surround disc, but I love this album so I'm glad to have it.

21. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Pete Townshend Ronnie Lane
    Rough Mix is an understated classic. My Baby Gives It Away was the song that received most of the FM radio play. The surround mix of this song sounds a little different than the better known stereo version. The instrumental title track features a rocking lead guitar throughout by Eric Clapton. Street In The City is a Townshend tour de force which wouldn’t of sounded out of place on an unreleased Who rock opera. All in all a great album with a great surround mix. Kudos to Mark for running the thread of the year.

22. mark winstanley

Blow by Blow

[​IMG]
    Studio album by
    Jeff Beck
    Released
    29 March 1975 [1]
    Recorded October 1974
    Studio AIR, London
    Genre Jazz fusion instrumental rock
    Length 44:40
    Label Epic
    Producer George Martin

Blow by Blow is the first solo album by British guitarist Jeff Beck, released on Epic Records in 1975, and recorded in October 1974. A purely instrumental album, it peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 and was certified platinum by the RIAA.

After the dissolution of the power trio Beck, Bogert & Appice (BBA) in spring 1974, Beck took time for session work with other groups. In December, a half-hearted "audition" for The Rolling Stones took place, Beck jamming blues with the band for one day, before realising their musical styles were not compatible.[1]

During this period, Beck decided to record an all-instrumental album, bringing back keyboardist Max Middleton from the second Jeff Beck Group. He hired George Martin to produce after hearing his work with the Mahavishnu Orchestra's 1974 album Apocalypse.[1] According to Carmine Appice, who played with Beck in BBA, he was involved in the writing and recording process of Blow by Blow but his parts were edited out after a dispute with Beck's management.[7][8]The fourth key contributor to Blow by Blow after Beck, Middleton, and Martin was Stevie Wonder, who gave Beck his songs "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" and "Thelonius", with Wonder playing clavinet on the latter uncredited.[9] The former song appeared on Wonder's 1974 album Stevie Wonder Presents: Syreeta, made with then-wife Syreeta Wright, while Wonder never recorded "Thelonius" himself. A cover of the Beatles song "She's a Woman" was selected, as well as the composition "Diamond Dust" by Bernie Holland of the group Hummingbird consisting of musicians from the second Beck Group. The other five tracks were band originals with Beck and Middleton the main writers, and the last track on each side featured string arrangements by Martin. Beck dedicated "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" to fellow guitarist Roy Buchanan, with an acknowledgement to Wonder.[10]

Musicians
    Technical
    • George Martin – production, orchestral arrangement
    • Denim Bridges – engineering
    Artwork
    • John Berg – design
    • John Collier – cover art
    1. "You Know What I Mean" Jeff Beck Max Middleton
    4:05
    2. "She's a Woman" John Lennon Paul McCartney
    4:31
    3. "Constipated Duck" Jeff Beck 2:48
    4. "Air Blower" Jeff Beck Max Middleton Richard Bailey Phil Chen
    5:10
    5. "Scatterbrain" Jeff Beck Max Middleton
    5:40
    6. "Cause We've Ended as Lovers" (dedicated to Roy Buchanan and thanks to Stevie) Stevie Wonder 5:42
    7. "Thelonius" Stevie Wonder 3:16
    8. "Freeway Jam" Max Middleton 4:58
    9. "Diamond Dust" Bernie Holland 8:26
    ------------------------------------------------
    Jeff Beck is rock royalty... in fact music royalty. After getting the gig in the Yardbirds, he moved from strength to strength. Forming the Jeff Beck Group, who were likely and influence on the direction the New Yardbirds took .... Led Zeppelin for those unaware. The Jeff Beck Group made some great hard/heavy blues albums, and also started to move into some jazzy. fusionesque places towards the end of their life. Super group Beck Bogart and Appice ... Beck was all over the place, which I suppose made it hard for some people to follow, but generally the results were reaching, and striving to move onward and upward.
    Beck's first solo album, this one, is wholly remarkable in that it was a very big selling and successful instrumental album. It is a wonderful affair with plenty of great music and great playing.

Beck is one of my favourite guitarists, because he is a remarkable technician, who knows how to keep his heart in the music, and not just blaze away. His ability to evoke sounds form his guitar is truly remarkable, and I highly recommend anyone into the guitar to get the dvd/bluray of Jeff Beck Live At Ronnie Scott's. What a wonderful musician.

The first time I heard Cause We've Ended As Lovers, It blew my mind that someone could make a guitar sound like that. Later he would repeat this amazingly emotive, subtle yet technical display of brilliance on the track Where Were You, from the album Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop, Made with Terry Bozzio and tony Hymas, and it is a wonderful album also.

I highly recommend this album to anyone that enjoyed any of the rock fusion that was going around in the early to mid seventies, because it happily sits alongside the best of them.
    Again it is a while since I had a chance to listen to this album, but I am almost certain it is a really nice mix, and I am very much looking forward to this revisit here.

Available from $22 dollars on discogs (US)
    Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
    $27 (European?) discogs
    Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
    $32 (Japan) disocgs
    Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow
    Music direct $30 new
    Jeff Beck - Blow By Blow (Hybrid Multichannel SACD) | Shop Music Direct
    Acoustic Sounds $30 new
    Jeff Beck-Blow By Blow-Hybrid Multichannel SACD|Acoustic Sounds

This is on amazon but I am unsure if it is the multichannel version, so I am unwilling to post it.

All i can find is Engineered by Darcy Proper for sacd. It is a bare bones sacd, with basic information.

You Know what i Mean
    A funky little workout.
    Deep immersion immediately that the track kicks in proper.
    Starting with a little funky thing up the front, that has some rear punctuation.
    There are several guitars spread across the field playing harmony and unison and rhythm.
    A great groove set up with the bass, drums and keys upfront.
    A wonderful opener.

She's A Woman
    Keys left, hats left rear. The drums have a very wide field covering sound.
    The lead guitar rear right with sends to rear left.
    Initially the guitar has a vocoder and beck mouthing the words.
    Again a fabulous groove from the bass, drums and keys.
    Aside from the opening quotes from the song, this is a jam on the theme.

Constipated Duck
    Gtr front left. D6 right rear.
    Another wonderful groove.
    Rhythm gtr with a delay across the field.
    A couple of chirpy guitar notes slides across the field.
    Another beautifully immersive mix here.
    Pure listening joy for the funky fusion fan.
    Lead break through the rears, in your head.

Scatterbrain
    Kick right side. Snare up front.
    Again that groove upfront.
    The kick is really unusual ...
    Guitars in rears, keys splashing across the field.
    We get a really mellow change.
    With a lead in the rears. Drum fills rolling from wide right to left. And the whole kit is front now, ie the kick.
    Again there is so much going on in this track, it is really hard to pinpoint. Scatterbrain really is reflecting its name well.
    But this is completely immersive mixing.
    We have strings, keys, guitar, bass, drums and so much counterpoint and structural stuff going on, it is remarkable.
    The lead stereod in the rears works really well.

Cause We've Ended As lovers
    One of the great guitar instrumentals.
    Lead guitar is centered of the room.
    The bass and drums sound wonderful.
    The fender Rhodes? Has this magically splashy sound that seems to come from everywhere.
    I really like this mix.
    Such great note choices.
    There is a bit of movement in the guitar front to back it seems, but it is dream invoking stuff.
    The musicianship here is remarkable.

Thelonius
    Nice drums. A funky Stevie d6 kicking it on the right.
    Little bits of guitar everywhere.
    This track is great fun.
    Tacet rhythm with wah wah front left.
    Moog? Playing a low end vocal lead.
    This is a really cool mix, but so hard to describe.

Freeway jam
    One of the best known pieces on here. Often quoted by other players.
    We have another fabulous groove being set up.
    Again a great sounding lead stereod in the rears.
    This track sounds like a party at George Clinton's house or something.
    The melody guitar must be doubled, but so well I thought it was one guitar at first.
    Everybody is getting a chance to shine on here.
    Freeway jam has always been a favourite of mine.

Diamond Dust
    Keys, again that splashy Rhodes introduces us here.
    Then we get strings come in.
    I always forget this track until I hear it.
    Becky's guitar melody is so good, that as soon as you hear the first couple of notes, it is instantly a "oh this track!" Moment.
    The guitar is in the middle of your head again.
    The melody to this track is so ethereal, it is wonderful.
    This albums has the remarkable ability to sound like everything is coming from everywhere but still focused and logical.

Look this album is beautifully unusual, and the mix really has a beautifully unusual sound to match. It is certainly completely immersive, and it is a joy to listen to, in spite of, or because of the mix I am not sure, but I love it. Sorry if I found it hard to get the way the mix sounds across to you all, but it really is a journey of a mix, and it matches the journey of the music on the album well.

TGH7, ti-triodes, Jaap74 and 6 others like this.
  23. mark winstanley

It is a great album. I had honestly not heard anything off it before.
    As you say Street In The City is very much a song that could have been on a Who album.... I am still soaking up what this album is.

Was it you that mentioned this album earlier in the thread? If so thank you.
    This thread is costing me too much money lol, but I'm really enjoying it, I'm glad you're enjoying it too :righton:

goodboyfred and J_D__ like this.
  24. mark winstanley

I have to say that Rick Wakeman and Jeff Beck this morning were terribly difficult to describe, as the sounds and instruments have somewhat of an attack from all angles mix about them.
    I was surprised to read that the Wakeman album was a needle drop.
    If anybody can describe these particular two mixes a little better I would appreciate it. I personally like them both, I think the Beck album is done better, but I actually enjoyed the Wakeman album also.

goodboyfred likes this.
  25. thgord

I also concur on the Moving Pictures surround mix. I was very pleasantly surprised as I had previously heard the mixes of Fly By Night and AFTK and preferred the MP surround experience the most. I also like that you can watch the 3 bonus videos as well with the 5.1 sonics selected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.