SVS SB 2000 Pro vs. REL T/7i or . . .

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sugar Man, Jul 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm looking for a sub for my tv system which is running small Definitive Technology ProMonitor 800's. As luck would have it, my local BestBuy/Magnolia store had a pair of the DefTech PM 800's hooked up with the above subs. I was shocked how both of these subs filled the room on movies with the SVS having the edge, though both were great. The SB 3000 was crazy good, but too big for my application. The REL took the edge for music, although neither may have been dialed in. I love the SVS remote, but it lacks speaker level hookups. Then there is the Def Tech ProSub that is designed to match my mini-monitors. The price is pretty similar though the DefTech is a bit cheaper. I don't think there is a bad choice, just wanted to see what everyone else thought.

2. Sugar Man

Another real contender in this price range which I overlooked is a comparably priced Rythmik servo sub.

3. oskar

oskar Forum Resident

Rythmik servo sub

F1nut likes this.
  4. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

For HT SVS, for Music REL. I had a Def-tech once. It was awful. Of course that was awhile ago, maybe they're better now.

DavidR likes this.
  5. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

your speakers have 4 - 1/2 inch woofers. i would recomend putting the $ towards better speakers.
    if you must have a sub, the t7i is your best bet because it can play higher cleanly. the others will leave you with a big gap in the mid bass.

6. Sugar Man

I'm not sure they are even 4.5 inches, but at Magnolia, when paired with the SVS and/or REL, it was shocking how it all sounded. However, the SVS sounded boomy for music only. That's what got me to start exploring REL (it was a 9/Ti actually), which is admittedly overkill for the DefTechs. Right now I am very limited on space, hence the little DefTechs. I've been researching the Rythmik stuff and very intrigued. I could get the entry level L12 or spend a bit more and get the F12 which is overkill for now, but gives me flexibility down the road and I could even experiment with it with my AN E's.

7. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

As you said not dialed in or adjusted correctly if there was boomy sound coming out on music......I highly doubt those places have anyone who knows how to correctly integrate a sub.

8. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

You already have Audio Note Speaker Kit-04 for music listening.

For movie, you want to have fun!

You want something that can go flat down to 20 Hz if you can afford it. Go big if you can.

Rel 7i is definitely not enough for movie. SVS sb2000 barely adequate. Look carefully at the SPL chart in Svsound web site for sb2000. It is almost 10 dB down at 20 Hz from 30 Hz.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    Sugar Man likes this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Rythmik servo sub.

Sugar Man likes this.
  10. Sugar Man

I know there is a lot of SVS love here, so is it safe to say they had it way too turned up for music? The remote control feature would be really nice, even for movies. @F1nut I saw one of your posts a while back, which is where I learned about the Rythmik servos.

11. pdxway

pdxway Forum Resident

The sales associates or customers might turned the sub up too loud during demo.

The room, the sub location, your listening position all play a role in perceived bass quality.

I have heard nice $2100 JL sub sounded boomy in demo room when it was not properly dialed in. In my friend home where it was dialed in properly, no such problem.

DuctTapeTheory likes this.
  12. Catcher10

Subs are usually turned up too loud, it has nothing to do with hearing boom.....For me it is about the sustain of low notes. Without a sub the note might die off to soon if your mains roll off at say 50Hz, with a sub I am feeling much more info coming thru, the music has a completeness to it.
    You want a sub for mainly TV viewing and not so much music?

13. timind

timind phorum rezident

I haven't any of the subs on your list, but I voted for the SVS because I have an SB3000 and love it. The remote app makes it so easy to get the settings right. Also, I use a few different speakers with it and the preset feature is great when I swap in speakers.

Sugar Man likes this.
  14. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

SVS, proudly engineered in...Youngstown, Ohio? :agree: I heard one that must have been TOTL or close to it. :yikes: It was being used with either Maggie 3.3R or 1.7i.

15. Sugar Man

I know you had the Meadowlark Hot Rod Kestrels which are amazing in their own right, but it would be fun to augment the bottom end with some grunt. My search initially started as a search for something like an SVS SB 1000 to give my HT set up a little oomph. As these things go, I'll probably end up with two 18" leviathans. OK, breathe. I would love to add the Rythmik subs to the poll, but I'm too late on that. Right now, I'm torn between the SB2000Pro or one of the Rythmiks. No wrong answer among those or the REL - all quality stuff.

timind likes this.
  16. Ilusndweller

Ilusndweller S.H.M.F.=>Reely kewl.

Sugar Man likes this.
  17. Sugar Man

The initial spec is for the modest TV system, but then I start thinking about using it with music, but in reality, then I'll likely be looking at more expensive sub(s). I guess I'm leaning on moving up from the $599 entry level to the next level around a $1000. Then I can get a taste of a quality sub in my music set up and if I like it, I might go up the line on the subs mentioned.

18. Catcher10

Sounds good.......At this point I would be looking at specs. The Rel T7 is an active 8" driver, low freq to 30Hz, 200 watt amp and no variable phase. SVS SB2000 is a 12" active driver, down to 19Hz, 550 watt amp and variable phase adjustment..........the REL can be $100-200 more depending.
    Have fun!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.