System Priorities: What Are Yours??

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Khorn, Mar 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

That's too bad - I know Mozart but don't know Albert Ayler.

Listening to unknown music on a system is a good test. Something that you know well (and like) will communicate on a cheap system; something complex that you have never heard will struggle.

Regards,
    Geoff

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Precisely.

3. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian Thread Starter

sgb, The problem is that there is no such thing as a "neutral" system. Every component adds its own "sonic signature". Why do we spend so much time auditioning all sorts of components when buying them if they were all neutral? Even the components that would be expected to be the "most Flat" such as amplification all sounds different. Add to that the exact same component placed in two different systems will sound different again. In one case maybe better in another worse. It's how components interact with one another that comes up with a total sonic print of that particular system. Its not just electronic "values" 'cause two units that have similar specs can sound quite different. If one company made your whole system from front end to speakers maybe they could design a system closer to the holy grail of flatness but then that would all go out the window the first time you put out an imperfect recording which by the way probably 99.9999% of them are so, where does that leave you?

Cables are a way of "Tweaking" your system to bring out more of the desired sounds of the interacting components in a relatively inexpensive manner. Its like tube rolling to obtain the desired results from an amp or preamp.

In a perfect world the old "straight wire with gain" axiom would hold true. But, this ain't no perfect world so we try to make things conform to our own idea of what perfection is. Its not perfect to start with, far from it, so, at least have thing sound like your idea of perfection rather than someone elses!. Why would you think that they know any better than you do?

4. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Khorn, reading your reply reminds me of Mickey Mouse as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. No matter how he tried he couldn't get that broom to stop carrying those buckets of water.

That's what many audiophiles contend with when they do the boutique cable thing. If you choose a cable that errs greatly from "flat" you're doing nothing but opening another Pandora's box. And as I recollect, I believe I said that the ideal component would be neutral. I think I clearly stated that, but see that I neglected to mention that proper room treatment and speaker setup will do far more to reach that goal of neutrality.

And, of course, there are those who do not want a neutral system, just as there are those who insist that a cable costing $1600 will always sound better than $4.00 worth of parts from an electrical supply store.

In answer to your question, "Why would you think that they know any better than you do?"

If I understand your question, the answer is, "I don't." I understand that there is a lot of myth and snake oil in the audio business. And, having fooled with audio equipment of all kinds for more than 40 years, I've encountered a pretty broad assortment of situations; the magic cable syndrome is relatively recent, though.

5. Khorn

I don't think I would consider a cable that GREATLY errs from flat. What I am trying to point out is that you can, by choosing cables "move" your system toward the ultimate sound that you desire whether that be "flat" or not. I have found that with my system, a certain type of cable gives me a sound that I find gratifying. To me, that's all that counts. I'm not talking drastic changes here, in fact the casual listener might not even detect the difference. If I change systems I probably will use totally different cables. As a matter of fact if I go to the system I'm thinking about I'd probably end up using pro sound re-enforcement XLR cable runs.

I guess what I'm saying is that I gave up looking for flat, perfect reproduction a long time ago and my one and only priority is to have a system that sound does what I want it to. I know I'm a lot happier that way.

6. TimM

TimM Senior Member

I certainly agree that software is the most important thing in terms of listening, but I would also point out that a well thought out hardware purchase can sometimes be the equivalent of acquiring an entire new set of upgraded software. A great hardware upgrade can allow you to hear your software collection as if it were the first time.

7. Khorn

I think most of us go through the "listening to our stuff" (at least the faves) all over again anytime we make a major component change. Notice how everything sounds better? :D

If not, bummeroso :realmad:

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Well, I wouldn't call it equivalent but there's no doubt that since high school I've always fantasized as to which recording is going to receive the honor of the first to be heard on any new piece of euipment I buy. And I'll always remember the first time I heard the theme music for Law and Order processed by my Lexicon MC-1 (now sadly obsolete).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.